The Student Room Group

Part-time MSc in Mathematical Finance at Oxford

Hello,

I just wanted to start a thread for those who have applied for the part time MSc in Mathematical Finance at Oxford.

Has anybody heard if they have a place? If so when did you apply?

Does anybody know how long it takes between sending your application and getting a decision? I applied recently and am eagerly awaiting a response.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Hi there,

I applied before the Aug 31st deadline and got an offer 2 weeks later. Haven't heard from a college yet but I guess that could take a while. Did you (or anyone else here) get accepted?

D
Reply 2
Original post by Dewi
Hi there,

I applied before the Aug 31st deadline and got an offer 2 weeks later. Haven't heard from a college yet but I guess that could take a while. Did you (or anyone else here) get accepted?

D

Could you please tell me if we need a mathematical background for this course? I am studying management science. Will be ok to apply for that course?
Reply 3
Original post by zziippoo
Could you please tell me if we need a mathematical background for this course? I am studying management science. Will be ok to apply for that course?

http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/courses/finance/part-time/admissions

Admissions criteria
The Admissions Criteria for Graduate Study in Mathematics apply.

In addition, successful candidates will either have several years' professional work experience in a financial institution or similar environment, or have a clear and demonstrable understanding of the benefits of the course for future employment prospects in the financial sector. They will also have experience with a programming language (preferably Matlab or C++).

If you are uncertain about the requirement normally to have an upper second class or first class Honours Degree (or equivalent) in Mathematics or a 'related discipline', please note that a 'related discipline' is one which is significantly quantitative, such as Physics, Engineering or Economics. If you are unsure whether you have a suitably mathematical background, please see the maths admissions exercise - if you feel able to do at least two thirds of the exercise without difficulty your mathematical background is likely to be adequate.

The extent to which a candidate meets the admissions criteria will be assessed by the Course Director by consideration of the candidate's submitted application materials (University's standard application materials, together with the candidate's solutions to a Mathematics Exercise). In cases where the Course Director feels that more evidence is required interviews are given (usually by telephone).
Reply 4
Original post by sj27
http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate/courses/finance/part-time/admissions

Admissions criteria
The Admissions Criteria for Graduate Study in Mathematics apply.

In addition, successful candidates will either have several years' professional work experience in a financial institution or similar environment, or have a clear and demonstrable understanding of the benefits of the course for future employment prospects in the financial sector. They will also have experience with a programming language (preferably Matlab or C++).

If you are uncertain about the requirement normally to have an upper second class or first class Honours Degree (or equivalent) in Mathematics or a 'related discipline', please note that a 'related discipline' is one which is significantly quantitative, such as Physics, Engineering or Economics. If you are unsure whether you have a suitably mathematical background, please see the maths admissions exercise - if you feel able to do at least two thirds of the exercise without difficulty your mathematical background is likely to be adequate.

The extent to which a candidate meets the admissions criteria will be assessed by the Course Director by consideration of the candidate's submitted application materials (University's standard application materials, together with the candidate's solutions to a Mathematics Exercise). In cases where the Course Director feels that more evidence is required interviews are given (usually by telephone).

oh my friend you are always everywhere - anytime .. thank you
Hi,
Sorry to ask you like this but is it possible for you to help me with the Addmission exercise?
Reply 6
Original post by Jamesappleby
Hi,
Sorry to ask you like this but is it possible for you to help me with the Addmission exercise?

This thread is four years old?

To be blunt about it, if you need help with the admissions exercise you shouldn't be applying. That's the whole point of it!
Original post by sj27
This thread is four years old?

To be blunt about it, if you need help with the admissions exercise you shouldn't be applying. That's the whole point of it!

soo you cant help me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending