The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Bonn vs Oxford vs Cambridge vs UPenn Mathematics Masters

I have received an offer to study MSc Mathematical Sciences at the University of Oxford, MASt in Pure Mathematics at the University of Cambridge, MSc in Mathematics at the University of Bonn and MSc in Mathematics at the University of Pennsylvania. At Oxford and Cambridge, it will cost me around £40,000 to cover the entire tuition fee and living expenses. At Bonn, the course is of 2 years so it will cost me around 18,000£ in total (only the living expenses including the negligible tuition fee) and at Penn, it will cost me so much that I won't be able to afford. I am thinking for dropping the option of Pennsylvania for this reason. Where should I go in this case? In my undergrad course, I took a variety of courses. Initially, I was going for the Statistics courses but slowly my interest shifted to Pure Math. I have studied Machine Learning, Time Series, Bayesian Stats but I didn't find them much interesting. I found Analysis courses like Measure Theory, Metric Spaces very interesting. Moreover, I have also started to like Abstract Algebra courses. At Oxford, in Master's they directly teach Further Functional Analysis so I won't be able to take this module. I am also a bit late for Algebra courses as most of my undergrad courses were focused on Probability theory. I am right now covering Abstract Algebra on my own from Herstein. At Bonn, there is an advantage that they provide foundation modules but the issue is that the foundation module for Algebra starts with Commutative Algebra. So, if I think of going to Bonn, I will have to drop my plan of studying something related to Algebra for at least the first year. Though, they teach Functional Analysis and PDE in one of their foundation courses. They also teach Topological Manifolds, Smooth Manifolds and Riemannian Manifolds in their foundation courses. They also teach Stochastic Analysis in their foundation modules. So, if I go to Bonn I will have to start my journey with Stochastic Analysis, Functional Analysis and PDE, Topology and Geometry. Oxford also provides most of these courses (further functional analysis instead of functional analysis, and a version of more advanced Stochastic Analysis) and the time span will be small. However, one of the things that Oxford will provide me is the brand tag which will be very helpful in case I wish to shift to Industry (like in Investment Banks or Hedge funds and not to Academia. Where should I go in this case?
(edited 1 year ago)
Which programme did you end up going for? And how has it been so far? I'm applying for the same schools. Cheers!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending