The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Masters at Oxford or Cambridge?

Hi everyone!

I have received an offer for MSc Modelling for Global Health at Oxford, as well as having been moved to PAO for MPhil Finance and Economics at Cambridge. I am really struggling to decide between these two pretty different courses. I absolutely love the Oxford course as it is very hands on and allows me to participate in a global health research project in the third term somewhere in the world which is a really exciting prospect. I think I am also drawn to Oxford as a university more than Cambridge. I would appreciate if anyone could provide any advice / opinion to aid my decision. Thanks!
What do you actually want to do after the course? This should probably be the main thing guiding you.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
To be honest, I am not really 100%, which is part of the reason this decision is difficult for me. I suppose that right now my intrigue lies with the healthcare industry and the direction this is going, but I feel that my career would probably be pretty set off the back of the Finance and Economics Mphil at Cambridge..
Original post by artful_lounger
What do you actually want to do after the course? This should probably be the main thing guiding you.
Original post by asargi15
Hi everyone!

I have received an offer for MSc Modelling for Global Health at Oxford, as well as having been moved to PAO for MPhil Finance and Economics at Cambridge. I am really struggling to decide between these two pretty different courses. I absolutely love the Oxford course as it is very hands on and allows me to participate in a global health research project in the third term somewhere in the world which is a really exciting prospect. I think I am also drawn to Oxford as a university more than Cambridge. I would appreciate if anyone could provide any advice / opinion to aid my decision. Thanks!

Oxford is considered stronger of the two for Medicine if you don't want a London uni like UCL which is the base for lots of research.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey! I cannot really help with the choice, but congrats on both offers!
I also applied to the MPhil in Finance and Economics at Cambridge, I was wondering when did you move to PAO and what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?
Reply 5
I hadn't checked for a week or so but when I checked yesterday I had moved to PAO, so anytime in the last week. I am studying Economics and Mathematics at Bath and I am currently averaging a first (~75%), having come second in my cohort in my second year.
Original post by LorenzoBian
Hey! I cannot really help with the choice, but congrats on both offers!
I also applied to the MPhil in Finance and Economics at Cambridge, I was wondering when did you move to PAO and what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?
Original post by asargi15
To be honest, I am not really 100%, which is part of the reason this decision is difficult for me. I suppose that right now my intrigue lies with the healthcare industry and the direction this is going, but I feel that my career would probably be pretty set off the back of the Finance and Economics Mphil at Cambridge..

I think that's the crux of it then - no one can really make that decision for you! You might need to do a bit of soul searching and think about what your longer term goals are (not a bad position to be in of course!) :smile:

Some other things to consider are the costs of each course and how much (if any) funding you are getting for each, and likewise expected costs of living in each city (although these I expect would be quite similar). As if you're getting offered a full ride for one and the other you're paying completely out of pocket, I think that would be a critical consideration!
Reply 7
If this is possible, can I private message you for any advice on interviewing for global health modelling?
Reply 8
Hi, congrats on your offers! I applied to Oxford, the modelling for global health master as well on March, but haven't heard about anything, could you please provide your timeline as a reference, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending