The Student Room Group

Desperate need of help!

My dream is to become a producer in either tv/film but I'm extremely confused. No matter where i go, no one can give me a deffinate answer as to whether tv/film production at uni is absolutely essential.

I'm interested in the Lancaster 'Creative Arts' course, in which if accepted i'd do art, creative writing and then as a 3rd subject film studies, but somehow that doesn't seem enough. I know it makes more sense to do film production if i want to go into producing, but the main problem is Im scared of letting go of english.

Another issue is that the typical response i get to this question is 'as long as you have money you'll have no problem in getting into producing' - but im not exactly sure just how much that applies :wink: Im under no dellusions that you need a hell of alot of luck to get into the business but would art, creative writing and film studies be just as helpful, or is it best going straight into tv/film production?

:smile:
Thats because the Film and TV industry is so broad that you can end up working within it from a wide range of backgrounds. Having a degree in Film/TV will help in the competitive nature and will help in applying to internships. However you can also start off as a Runner and work your way up without a degree.

I think it would be best to do an overall Film Production course. It is much more revelant and vocational so helps you learn skills you can apply straight to the workplace (where art and english do not). I know what you mean when you say you are afraid of giving up english. My parents keep trying to make me do a degree in English Literature instead of Film Production but to be honest I know that working within the Film industry is where I want to be and which will make me happy so why would I not take the best course of action to be there. If Producing is your priority than I would follow it in the most direct route. You should look into Ravensbourne as they have a wide range of courses around Film and TV. Or for Film Production AUCB, Newport, Westminster, Gloucestershire and UCA are the ones I am hoping to apply to.

The money statement is just silly. The producer doesn't pay for the film themselves, they fundraise it and get support from companies.

Hope this kind of helped and I didn't jsut ramble :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:

Suppose i always knew it would be the best decision... Its just hard to make a commitment :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending