The Student Room Group

York or Northumbria? (film)

I'm looking at film production for 2024/25 and have both offers from Uni of York and Northumbria - I was initially swaying towards only Northumbria, but admittedly didn't really look into the York modules and just have done - the two courses I think are actually as good as each other, but I just thought the York one was less suited for me as its a BSc. Basically, does anybody have any advice? Any York/Northumbria students (preferably film, but any would be fine to mention how uni life is) - I think I was just focused on how Northumbria is more city based since its in Newcastle, and if I stayed on East in York I'd be VERY close to the film building. again, could someone give some advice if possible? Just to weight up my options - more specifically module details would be appreciated!!
Were those your only 2 choices?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Were those your only 2 choices?
No, I have all 5 offers but just prefer these two :smile:
Original post by caitlinmm
No, I have all 5 offers but just prefer these two :smile:

Do you have any plans about what you might want to do after your degree?

Neither of your preferred choices are CILECT film schools so not accredited as particularly practical/industry standard courses.
I'm looking at film production for 2024/25 and have both offers from Uni of York and Northumbria - I was initially swaying towards only Northumbria, but admittedly didn't really look into the York modules and just have done - the two courses I think are actually as good as each other, but I just thought the York one was less suited for me as its a BSc. Basically, does anybody have any advice? Any York/Northumbria students (preferably film, but any would be fine to mention how uni life is) - I think I was just focused on how Northumbria is more city based since its in Newcastle, and if I stayed on East in York I'd be VERY close to the film building. again, could someone give some advice if possible? Just to weight up my options - more specifically module details would be appreciated!!

Hiya,

I'm a student at Northumbria but I'm from York and have lived in both cities so think I might be able to help give some insight on at least the cities!
I think it really depends on personal preference and what you enjoy as I find York to be smaller and quieter and Newcastle to be a bit more lively and happening but still not too big.
In terms of student life I can't really speak for York as I haven't been a student there but I have loved being a student in Newcastle, I moved here over 2 years ago and it really feels like my home now.

I'm not a film student so can't give you any more specific information about the course itself but I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions you might have :smile:

Beth
Northumbria UG Rep
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Do you have any plans about what you might want to do after your degree?
Neither of your preferred choices are CILECT film schools so not accredited as particularly practical/industry standard courses.

I initially wanted to do something with camera eg cinematography, but now I’m looking at other aspects eg the sound department since I’ve taken an interest in that more recently
Reply 6
Original post by Northumbria University UG Rep
Hiya,
I'm a student at Northumbria but I'm from York and have lived in both cities so think I might be able to help give some insight on at least the cities!
I think it really depends on personal preference and what you enjoy as I find York to be smaller and quieter and Newcastle to be a bit more lively and happening but still not too big.
In terms of student life I can't really speak for York as I haven't been a student there but I have loved being a student in Newcastle, I moved here over 2 years ago and it really feels like my home now.
I'm not a film student so can't give you any more specific information about the course itself but I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions you might have :smile:
Beth
Northumbria UG Rep

thank you!! The cities are VERY different - I’ve visited York about 5 times now and it’s lovely but its so much smaller than Newcastle!! Feel like I’ve seen most of it already🥲
Reply 7

It's obvious a huge decision, but I would recommend having a look at some of York's facilities pages for film and television production, and also having a look at our student blogs to get the inside view on the extracurricular things on offer (guest speakers from industry; placement opportunities).

York is a small city, but there is plenty going on! There are also plenty of student societies to get involved with.
Reply 8
Original post by jc3967
It's obvious a huge decision, but I would recommend having a look at some of York's facilities pages for film and television production, and also having a look at our student blogs to get the inside view on the extracurricular things on offer (guest speakers from industry; placement opportunities).
York is a small city, but there is plenty going on! There are also plenty of student societies to get involved with.

thank you! i went to the offer holder day last week and it was really good, i saw the facilities in a bit more detail but will keep researching :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending