The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Cosmetic surgery on the NHS - should it be allowed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lil Piranha
Oh definitely. But there's a difference between someone who has socially and physically debilitating burn scars and someone who's worried their boobs aren't big enough.

I have several things I don't like (ie. the boob thing, I also have a largeish mole on my face) but if I want to be rid of them I'll do it privately when I have money, or learn to accept myself.

Insecurity can be tackled via other means, and shouldn't be a ticket for free surgery.

Well said :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by hayzelle
It was just a chin reduction. Did you go to the NHS for your surgery/was it suggested? If you went to them, was the cosmetic part or the dental part the main focus? Do you think if it didn't improve your bite but they offered it to you you would take it?

I went to the dentist. The dentist referred me to a dental hospital. It was suggested. The cosmetic part is more important to me, as with most people who get any sort of dental work such as braces done, but they're pretty intertwined.

If the surgery didn't improve my bite then it wouldn't exist, so I couldn't take it. The whole surgery is done simply to align the bite, which happily results in better cosmetic facial harmony - rather than directly trying to alter the cosmetics of the face. Maybe it would help if I showed a picture of what the surgery generally does:

I am sure there are some who would disagree with it being available on the NHS, but I think it's fairly worthy, along with braces for children. I hope this explained a little better. :smile:
First you should draw the line between cosmetic surgery and corrective surgery
Reply 23
Original post by Cicerao
I went to the dentist. The dentist referred me to a dental hospital. It was suggested. The cosmetic part is more important to me, as with most people who get any sort of dental work such as braces done, but they're pretty intertwined.

If the surgery didn't improve my bite then it wouldn't exist, so I couldn't take it. The whole surgery is done simply to align the bite, which happily results in better cosmetic facial harmony - rather than directly trying to alter the cosmetics of the face. Maybe it would help if I showed a picture of what the surgery generally does:

I am sure there are some who would disagree with it being available on the NHS, but I think it's fairly worthy, along with braces for children. I hope this explained a little better. :smile:

Oh I see, it's definitely true that there are a lot of dental cosmetic procedures avaliable on the NHS, braces being the main one (I should say I agree that although they improve the bite it's definitely true most people take them for cosmetic reasons), but they're a lot more accepted. Interesting, because I agree with you about the dental procedures being worthy - I wonder if this is a little hypocritical?! :s-smilie::colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by thecookiem0nster
First you should draw the line between cosmetic surgery and corrective surgery

The line does seem to get very blurred in places!

Overall I would say cosmetic = changing natural features due to insecurity/depression, but although this seems more specific I guess 'natural' could be argued over too. Although you could say natural = what you are born with, would this not rule out those born with disfigurements? And if natural = normal looking features then this could really not narrow it down at all ['my nose is unnaturally large!'].
Reply 25
Even if there was a limit, it would still reduce the amount there was to spend on other treatments. Do you think it would weaken the NHS as well, because effectively people who contribute little to society in the way of taxes, e.g. people who do volunteer work or people who are war veterans as well as the unemployed would be entitled to less?

War veterans have most likely paid something in already and have done a huge deed for our country so should be entitled, The unemployed are being paid for by someone else anyway so I don't see why they should get an option? (I'm talking about permanently unemployed and not having a medical condition or serious reason for not working).

Then say that people who volunteer can clock up like, + points or something which get put toward that. We need volunteers.

I'm not a political person, I have my views but just don't know the best way of putting them into place etc.

Then raise national health tax or tax in general? I personally believe we should anyway adopt a system such as sweden where pretty much everyone (despite what they are earning) pay around 45-55% tax (maybe like 35% here?) (there wages are a lot higher than ours) so there wouldn't be any problem.

I understand why we have the NHS, And its a good thing, but you pay things in and get very little back (bare in mind we are being used by a lot of EU citizens as a free version of a excellent hospital which comes from our taxes anyway). I even struggle to get contraception sometimes from my GP, Last time I went in asking she said 'You know you are at the age for a baby, It might be a good time to start trying!', i'm 21 years old, No job, uni student.....
Reply 26
Original post by Xyls
War veterans have most likely paid something in already and have done a huge deed for our country so should be entitled, The unemployed are being paid for by someone else anyway so I don't see why they should get an option? (I'm talking about permanently unemployed and not having a medical condition or serious reason for not working).

Then say that people who volunteer can clock up like, + points or something which get put toward that. We need volunteers.

I'm not a political person, I have my views but just don't know the best way of putting them into place etc.

Then raise national health tax or tax in general? I personally believe we should anyway adopt a system such as sweden where pretty much everyone (despite what they are earning) pay around 45-55% tax (maybe like 35% here?) (there wages are a lot higher than ours) so there wouldn't be any problem.

I understand why we have the NHS, And its a good thing, but you pay things in and get very little back (bare in mind we are being used by a lot of EU citizens as a free version of a excellent hospital which comes from our taxes anyway). I even struggle to get contraception sometimes from my GP, Last time I went in asking she said 'You know you are at the age for a baby, It might be a good time to start trying!', i'm 21 years old, No job, uni student.....

I get your point! However assuming the NHS stays in place with the current underlying idea of being a *universal* healthcare provider, whether this is a fair or unfair system, do you think it could be argued that plastic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons is an acceptable use of tax payer's money if it is causing insecurity issues/depression, bearing in mind all treatments on the NHS are given regardless of the amount the patient has contributed in tax?
Reply 27
I get your point! However assuming the NHS stays in place with the current underlying idea of being a *universal* healthcare provider, whether this is a fair or unfair system, do you think it could be argued that plastic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons is an acceptable use of tax payer's money if it is causing insecurity issues/depression, bearing in mind all treatments on the NHS are given regardless of the amount the patient has contributed in tax?

For those without issues>>>>>Well it wouldn't be tax payers money really would it? You are paying in yourself, thats the whole point of the scheme, you HAVE to pay in a certain amount (Please bare in mind that private surgeries are extremely overpriced compared to the real cost) to even get the option.

If someone has had an illness or disfigurement or are suffering with true psychological issues which need to be corrected by cosmetic surgery then they shouldn't have to wait and is completely acceptable. However, I would like to point out that I myself have gone forward (I have Bipolar) and asked for corrective surgery and turned away. I am pretty much tormented by the problem I have and is a very visual image of a past I would must like to forget (Before being diagnosed) and would like nothing more than to have it fixxed. Am I up in arms that I'm not getting it though? Not really.

I see both sides of the picture really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Xyls
Well it wouldn't be tax payers money really would it? You are paying in yourself, thats the whole point of the scheme, you HAVE to pay in a certain amount (Please bare in mind that private surgeries are extremely overpriced compared to the real cost) to even get the option.

If someone has had an illness or disfigurement or are suffering with true psychological issues which need to be corrected by cosmetic surgery then they shouldn't have to wait and is completely acceptable. However, I would like to point out that I myself have gone forward (I have Bipolar) and asked for corrective surgery and turned away. I am pretty much tormented by the problem I have and is a very visual image of a past I would must like to forget (Before being diagnosed) and would like nothing more than to have it fixxed. Am I up in arms that I'm not getting it though? Not really.

I see both sides of the picture really.

I meant assuming the NHS is as it is now, without your proposed scheme, would it be acceptable in any cosmetic cases?

Thanks for your personal input though, do you think cosmetic surgery would help you more than psychological treatment such as counselling? :smile:
Reply 29
I meant assuming the NHS is as it is now, without your proposed scheme, would it be acceptable in any cosmetic cases?

Thanks for your personal input though, do you think cosmetic surgery would help you more than psychological treatment such as counselling? :smile:

Hmm, As it is now? Possibly? I know we are going through all these cuts (They complain if we get a tax rise and complain if we get spending cuts, oh the world is confusing) so maybe something such as, If you wish to have something for a non medical reason on the NHS you pay in X% more per month from your wages? For issues though it should be free. It would require a reshape to do in some ways and maybe may not be able just for the spending costs (But I personally see many other areas which really could just be binned) but I really don't see the big deal in people being allowed cosemitic procedures for any reason.

I have had counselling and I honest to god think it is useless. I've had quite a few and although for some people they work, I'm quite at peace with my mental state now, Since being diagnosed I know what my problem is, I know how to control it and those who I care about most know the issue I have and don't just ditch me whenever I have a rough spot. But the physical implications (which although were caused by myself admittedly (Please note that some days I couldn't even remember how i got from point A to point B)) are still visible and have done and continue to be a reminder to myself and a point of interest for others when I would rather just be seen as myself, not as someone with a visible issue.
Reply 30

I agree with the first part :biggrin:
Do you think there's a difference between sheer vanity and insecurity though?

Obviously! So if you were in the situation where you hated something very specific about your appearance, and were treated badly by certain people because of it, do you think you would grow up to be 'vain'? How does wanting to look 'normal' equate to being vain?
We should differentiate between cosmetic and plastic surgery. They are subtly different I believe. ( Can anyone clarify?)

Comestic surgery is predominantly about making yourself look better.

Plastics surgery is more to do with fixing scars, burns, etc.

I think plastic surgery should be alowed. Some people could potentially be physcologically affected by war wound etc....I think this is especillay true for wounds caused by a third party.

Cosmetic surgery is costing the tax payer money to boost someones ego.

It is more complicated than that, but that's the gist of my opinion.
Reply 32
Original post by Xyls
Hmm, As it is now? Possibly? I know we are going through all these cuts (They complain if we get a tax rise and complain if we get spending cuts, oh the world is confusing) so maybe something such as, If you wish to have something for a non medical reason on the NHS you pay in X% more per month from your wages? For issues though it should be free. It would require a reshape to do in some ways and maybe may not be able just for the spending costs (But I personally see many other areas which really could just be binned) but I really don't see the big deal in people being allowed cosemitic procedures for any reason.

I have had counselling and I honest to god think it is useless. I've had quite a few and although for some people they work, I'm quite at peace with my mental state now, Since being diagnosed I know what my problem is, I know how to control it and those who I care about most know the issue I have and don't just ditch me whenever I have a rough spot. But the physical implications (which although were caused by myself admittedly (Please note that some days I couldn't even remember how i got from point A to point B)) are still visible and have done and continue to be a reminder to myself and a point of interest for others when I would rather just be seen as myself, not as someone with a visible issue.

There you go with another scheme:tongue: It would definitely be more acceptable to most people if it involved a contribution from those wishing to undergo it, but would you still think it was acceptable if there was no contribution from individuals? Also what do you mean by 'issues' (mental effects like insecurity problems, or health effects like bad back due to breast size?) and what areas do you think could be sacrificed in the NHS to allow more money to go towards cosmetic procedures?

Your reasons for wanting for the procedure are very different from most people's and really interesting, I definitely feel more inclined towards your case than I did towards the girl I know. :smile:
Only if it's causing discomfort or it was the result of an accident such as a burn victim, for example. For the rest of you, hell no!

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAH! My nose is a molecule too big!"
"Oh get over it you nauseating little pest."
"But ma nose! What will my retarded friends think of me?"
"Your friends are fat, ugly, and you all telling each other that your beautiful does not make it so."
"Really?"
"Yes, now get over it because let me tell you something. The chances are with that attitude no man would ever want you because you are one of the most annoying beings to walk the earth. Oh and we don't care which shoes or dress you are wearing and your friends will tell you your beautiful even if you were wearing clothes made out of human skin so get over it."
"Hai! Wakarimasu!"

And that, my friends, is how to not waste money on whiny bitches. :biggrin:
Reply 34
I think it should be allowed in certain cases, for example, re-constructive surgery for injuries, breast augmentation for trans women and breast reduction for women who experience discomfort because of their size, but not for people who do it out of vanity, as I believe it encourages a very narrow view of how people 'should' look.
No - especially for stuff like boob jobs / nose jobs / liposuction, unless it's absolutely necessary to save someone's life.

Why should the taxpayer fork out thousands of pounds for people who don't think they look good?

Anyway - it's better to lose weight the good old way - spending more energy than you take in, dieting, more exercise, etc.
Reply 36
Original post by ta duck
Obviously! So if you were in the situation where you hated something very specific about your appearance, and were treated badly by certain people because of it, do you think you would grow up to be 'vain'? How does wanting to look 'normal' equate to being vain?

I do think there is a difference haha! However I think a lot of the time insecurity is mistaken for vanity, and personally I feel the vast majority of people classed as 'vain' are in fact just insecure about their appearance. So I was more questioning if bearing that in mind would change the opinion of someone who believed vanity was an unacceptable reason, but if the patient was actually insecure if that would change their view. Sorry if that makes little sense ha :s-smilie:
Reply 37
There you go with another scheme:tongue: It would definitely be more acceptable to most people if it involved a contribution from those wishing to undergo it, but would you still think it was acceptable if there was no contribution from individuals? Also what do you mean by 'issues' (mental effects like insecurity problems, or health effects like bad back due to breast size?) and what areas do you think could be sacrificed in the NHS to allow more money to go towards cosmetic procedures?

Your reasons for wanting for the procedure are very different from most people's and really interesting, I definitely feel more inclined towards your case than I did towards the girl I know. :smile:

Yes, I think its acceptable whatever :P With or without a scheme, As a society we are getting more modern and this is something we are going to have to accept. The only reason I mention schemes is because I know there will be a group of people unhappy about X X and X and you know that I personally want to raise taxes anyway.

Yes issues that require surgery to fix E.G Mental and Physical health related. Real reasons. Having a mole on your bum =/= Real reason unless it was doing obvious extreme stress on the person. (Maybe on your face, or some exposed area it might be, but really who sees your bum anyway? :biggrin:)

Hmm, I think we could stop the 'universal health care' but that is another matter and I won't get into that. Weight loss is another thing, There is a lot of unneeded weight loss surgery being done on people who are a) lazy, b) lazy or c) lazy (I actually did a report on it). I of course think that surgery should be done on those who truly need it (weight by medical illness etc) but there are some people who just disgrace me (Bare in mind I was 19 stone 4 pounds in February, I am now 13 stone WITHOUT surgery) and think that they can just 'get surgery' and its fine. Instead of spending 8k per surgery on people who do not need it for real reasons, how about doctors become more proactive in targeting over weight people before it becomes a serious problem? When I went in at my heaviest to my GP they gave me a weetabix diet sheet for meat eaters when I'm a veggie, they really need some better training and advice on how to deal with people who are large by there own methods or can obviously be seen to reaching a danger zone concerning their weight.

I also think braces are a waste of money in a lot of cases. I had private braces because my parents didn't want to wait but I do know a girl at school who had them on the NHS and her teeth where almost near perfect yet was given a full 5 year course of braces? They total around 5000 pounds :s-smilie: Obviously sometimes they are really needed, Mine where needed because I had what is only to be described as vampire teeth and I had no space at the back of my mouth for my wisdom teeth.

Things like that, There are many more but I would rather not upset the trolls :colondollar:
Reply 38
Original post by wcp100
We should differentiate between cosmetic and plastic surgery. They are subtly different I believe. ( Can anyone clarify?)

Comestic surgery is predominantly about making yourself look better.

Plastics surgery is more to do with fixing scars, burns, etc.

I think plastic surgery should be alowed. Some people could potentially be physcologically affected by war wound etc....I think this is especillay true for wounds caused by a third party.

Cosmetic surgery is costing the tax payer money to boost someones ego.

It is more complicated than that, but that's the gist of my opinion.

That's definitely along the lines of how I feel :biggrin:

I guess a slight rephrasement of my question is then, do you think getting cosmetic surgery because of insecurity issues/depression (so relating it to actual health rather than purely on appearance) is acceptable, or would your view be that other methods such as counselling would be more appropriate? :tongue:
I'm open to the idea, but it depends on context. If it's purely for vanity? Absolutely not. If there are psychological issues attached to it? Well, psychiatric treatment won't work for everyone, contrary to popular belief, so yes I think that it should always be there as an alternative as long as a professional psychologist is convinced that it's necessary, or would at least be beneficial to a citizen's mental health. And obviously for reconstructive work after accidents.

But mostly because I'm pissed off that three successive NHS dentists failed to recommend me for free braces when I was a kid and if I want to get my (very) crooked teeth straightened out I have to shell out for it myself or take a hammer to my jaw and say I had an accident, and then get them to pay for reconstructive work. **** you, dentists of Kent. :mfing: And . . . well, sometimes I do look in the mirror and smile, but I don't see me smiling back. It's not my smile, it just looks so wrong, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it unlike virtually every other part of my body. It's hard to say this without acknowledging that I'm biased towards positively diagnosing myself, but I do feel like my smile gives me some self esteem issues, and that there's not a damn thing that a therapist can tell me to convince me otherwise.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending