The Student Room Group

Alternate assessments - advice needed

Has anyone had any experience of being offered an alternate form of assessment for a module? Say for example a module assessment was comprised of an examination weighted at 50% and then an oral presentation also weighted at 50%, and if doing an oral presentation would adversely affect a student in receipt of DSA, then that student could be allowed to do a piece of written coursework in place of the oral presentation, so long as the coursework assessed the same learning outcomes and objectives as the oral presentation did.

In my DSA assessment of needs report, reference was made by the assessor that oral presentations (particularly those which are required to be delivered solo) may aggravate a medical condition I have as well as my anxiety disorder and would interfere with my ability to perform as normal and demonstrate my knowledge and understanding in the way that non disabled students could. Therefore they recommended that if such a situation arose, that the university strongly considered looking into the option of offering an alternate form of assessment (i.e. a reasonable adjustment) that tested the same learning outcomes and objectives as the oral presentation did.

Such a situation has arisen, but my university have been less than enthusiastic about implementing such an adjustment. I did deliver the oral presentation back in May as part of the module and also sat the examination. Although I did okay in the exam, my mark in the oral presentation really pulled me down and when averaged out, was the contributing factor to my failing the module. I had terrible problems with anxiety and stress in the build up to the presentation and in the lecture theatre itself, which aggravated my medical condition and started to cause pains in my stomach. Therefore this meant that I was having difficulty in concentrating. I was getting very hot and flustered with sweaty palms and really wasn’t able to perform at my best as a result of this. It wasn’t a full on panic attack, but I did feel close to having one. It wasn’t just a case of nerves over public speaking to 240 people that you’d expect most people to get. It was a real case of fear, which in turn caused my health to suffer, and for me not to perform at my best.

I submitted a special consideration form along with medical evidence and as such, was awarded an honours resit (where you can resit for full marks and the usual resit fee is waived) This time, I contacted my department and the student support office as soon as I received my resit offer and asked them to consider an alternate assessment (some written coursework for example) as outlined in my assessment of needs report. I was backed up by the student support office who has staff members who are also licensed assessors themselves. I also made it clear I would be more than happy to seek further medical evidence if that’s what they wanted, even though they already had my report and several letters already on my file.

Initially the department told me it wouldn’t be possible, as the university had no provision for that sort of thing. Awarding extra time, a rest break or the use of a computer, yes but they did not have any policy on alternate assessment and told me that even with special circumstances it was “unlikely” the faculty and the university would consider my request. This is despite it being recommended in my DSA assessment of needs report by a qualified assessor.

When I pointed out that the university does have a policy on it and that other students in the same faculty as us had been allowed to do this and after I’d showed them the university’s regulations on assessing disabled students, they changed tack and told me it wasn’t allowed because of the course accreditation by our professional body. They had accredited the course based on what the department had submitted to them and changing from an oral presentation to coursework would render that void. As a student member of our professional body, I contacted them to ask that question. They said that was nonsense and that they do not accredit a course based on what assessment method the university uses; it’s done on what the course actually teaches you i.e. the learning outcomes and if they give students enough professional knowledge and skills. The method of assessment is irrelevant and is up to the university to decide.

I took this information back to my department and they said “Oh well it’s too late now as the resit period is nearly upon us and there’s no time now to set some alternate assessment and have it approved by faculty. You’ll just have to come back and do the resit as normal.” I went back and did the resit as normal, and failed again.

This time they’re saying that I can’t resit again as you can only do one resit. Therefore they’re saying it’s though and I’ve failed the module for good. However, I want to challenge that on an equality basis. Had they implemented alternate arrangements as was recommended in my assessment of needs, as backed up by the student support office and my GP, I feel I would have passed. It wasn’t a lack of subject knowledge that was the problem, but I really found the mode of assessment inaccessible as a disabled student, so asked for a reasonable adjustment, which they failed to provide even though I had a good case.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had an alternate form of assessment provided for them and if so, how easy was it to obtain? It seems my university aren’t keen and I think that’s not right.
Reply 1
Are you sure your DSA assessment recommended alternative assessments?
I ask because I have always had extra time and rest breaks in exams throughout my school career and was statemented but they told me it was between me and my university to sort out nothing to with them.
As it happens the uni were great but it was for me to negotiate with them and nothing to with DSA.
Reply 2
Original post by Erin89

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had an alternate form of assessment provided for them and if so, how easy was it to obtain? It seems my university aren’t keen and I think that’s not right.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Universities are getting better at certain reasonable adjustments, but recognising a change of assessment is something many are still reluctant to do. I often hear that, in professionally accredited courses, requests are refused for the reasons you were given. It's interesting that, in your case, the professional body said they do accept a change of assessment.

I did get a change of assessment, after being at Durham for a few years. It was a change of exam-based modules to essay-based modules.

I started me degree in 2004. In 2007 I needed I wasn't abe to sit my assessments (five of the six modules were 100% - 1 exam in each module). This meant I needed to withdraw for a year and resit the exams as a first sit (what your university calls "honour resit"). I was given no support whilst withdrawn and wasn't able to sit my exams in 2008. So had another year out. Yet again, in May 2009, I wasn't able to sit the exams (and refused support).

I was due to make another attempt in August of 2009. I asked my Senior Tutor if I could have a change of assessment but, as my university (Durham) like to think of themselves as a "traditional" university this isn't possible and it's best I go to a university that can better suit my needs (this was later classed as highly inappropriate advice by a senior member of the university after I made a formal complaint). I then went to an academic at one of my departments who, although sympathetic, give similar reasons as to why a change of assessment isn't allowed (largely concerns of plaigarism and creating jealousy and disruption amongst non-0disabled students who would like to do an essay instead of exam. Some of these reasons were stronger than others, though none of them were particularly convincing).

Knowing that, having received no support and with my confidence at rock bottom, I wasn't going to pass the exams in August I made enquiries with the Open University to transfer. But having paid for a house in Durham (for 2009 - 2010) and still wanting to stay, I made a formal complaint. Long story short, this gave the members of staff the kick up the arse needed. It was discovered why I never received received support during my time out, and that key staff aren't given adequate disability training.

Long story short, I was told that if I go to the disability service and get what they call a "Recommended Reasonable Adjustments" report they will consider allowing me to return and re-sit the year, this time as an attending student so able to take part in teaching and access support. My disability advisor was very sympathetic and supportive and one of the few reasonable adjustments she recommended was a change of course assessment (or a change of modules). Within a week or so the faculty had agreed to allow me to return.

In the end both of my departments agreed to the change of assessment, although I had to wait until the end of the year to get official permission from the faculty. In the end, all the remaining modules I had left in one department were assessed by essay anyway (I wasn't allowed to re-take the modules I took, but failed to complete, in 2006-2007 so changed modules in that one department). But in my other department all modules, which are usually assessed by exam, I was allowed to do an extended essay instead (I was given the essay titles in the exam period and did the required number of 3,000 word essays in that month).

My confidence returned and, with the change of assessment, I was able to proceed and, in the end, performed very strongly.

So I was able to get my change of assessment, but it wasn't until after effectively wasting two years of my life and having initial requests refused.

I cannot say if your university is acting illegaly,of course, but I certainly think it's poor practice and they have been giving you the run around. I strongly suspect you put in a formal complaint and also speak to the Equalities and Human Rights Commission (if you haven't already).

Edit: - I am willing to discuss my situation in greater detail, but don't really want to give any more information on the public forums. So, if you want to know more, then PM me. But I think I've given you the outline and, from your point of view, the important stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
denislaw - you're quite right in that the provision of alternate assessment is nothing to do with the DSA and is for the individual university to agree with the student. The same with any exam adjustments such as use of a computer, extra time etc. However, my DSA assessor added a page at the back of my report with "Recommendations for the institution" as the title. I had signed a form allowing them to send a copy to the disability office at my university. This page suggested a number of things the university could do to help, that weren't covered by the DSA but nevertheless would still be useful for me and based on what the assessor knew had worked for other students who had the same or similar conditions.

River85, thank you very much for your response. It was really interesting to read your experience. I have chatted to the Students' Union about this and interestingly our education officer there actually received an alternate assessment. They had one module where the 100% exam was changed to 100% essay instead. Therefore they are going to investigate this on my behalf. However, if that doesn't prove fruitful I will make a formal complaint and/or talk to the Equality & Human Rights Commission. The only thing that is worrying me about making a formal complaint is if it'll "rock the boat" somewhat. If I want to go and do a masters, would they think badly of me when considering my application in the department (it would be the same department)? I know they can't technically do that, but I do worry if they might think "oh no, not her again". It's one of the smaller departments in the university so that's what makes me concerned. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending