The Student Room Group

Can 1st-year BTEC Applied Science qualify for Pharmacy at uni?

This is my last year in college, studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science. I'm eager to pursue a pharmacy degree at university. Although this is my first year in this studying the course, I understand that it typically takes two years to complete. Is there a possibility of completing it in just one year, and would I still be eligible for admission to a pharmacy program at university?
You will not get accepted with a first year as you dont have a full A level equivalent. You might find difficulties even with a 2 year course as universities often require an A level in Chemistry as well. You will need to check each university to see who will accept the BTEC. The problem is for something as scientific as Pharmacy universities sometimes require a more detailed science rather than the more general science in a BTEC.
Original post by swanseajack1
You will not get accepted with a first year as you dont have a full A level equivalent. You might find difficulties even with a 2 year course as universities often require an A level in Chemistry as well. You will need to check each university to see who will accept the BTEC. The problem is for something as scientific as Pharmacy universities sometimes require a more detailed science rather than the more general science in a BTEC.

Is there another alternative path to enter the field of pharmacy, and in your opinion
(Original post by Student9274819)Is there another alternative path to enter the field of pharmacy, and in your opinion

You could check whether the university will accept a foundation year. You need to check each universities entrance requireents, That is the only way. The only other way would be to restart year 12 sitting Chemistry.
I have just checked a few universities. see Bradfords requirement below but you will need to check each university's entrance requirements to see if there are others. You will certainly need to complete the 2 year course.

For applicants who have taken the new BTEC Extended Diploma assessed by written examinations and coursework: DDD. Applied Science with a minimum of four Chemistry or Biology units at Distinction.

For applicants who have taken the BTEC Extended Diploma assessed by coursework only: DDD. Applied Science with minimum of four Chemistry or Biology units at Distinction AND either A-level Chemistry or A-Level Biology at grade B.
Reply 5
As above, look at Pharmacy Foundation Years at Unis like Brighton, Kingston, Kent, Greenwich etc.

Other Unis without a Foundation year may accept BTEC Applied Science with specific units - but they are usually going to want an additional A level in Chemistry.
Original post by swanseajack1
(Original post by Student9274819)Is there another alternative path to enter the field of pharmacy, and in your opinion

You could check whether the university will accept a foundation year. You need to check each universities entrance requireents, That is the only way. The only other way would be to restart year 12 sitting Chemistry.

Thank you, this information was very helpful
Reply 7
Original post by Student9274819
This is my last year in college, studying a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science. I'm eager to pursue a pharmacy degree at university. Although this is my first year in this studying the course, I understand that it typically takes two years to complete. Is there a possibility of completing it in just one year, and would I still be eligible for admission to a pharmacy program at university?

No because you wouldn’t have your grade yet as your work would be incomplete with all the missing exams/coursework which most likely have practicals involved

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending