The Student Room Group

transferring universities

hi i’m doing a biomedical sciences with an integrated foundation year at royal holloway and i was just wondering if it’s possible to transfer to a better university like warwick or uob for a different course in a different department (law, reason for this is i initially applied for biomed and just recently assessed my career and want to go into law and im very definitive about this), is it possible to do this if i work hard enough during my foundation year?
Reply 1
Hi, I transferred unis this month. Typically you need to meet the standard requirements for the unis you want to apply to. In most cases they assess your AS Level grade coupled with your foundation year marks.

I would recommend doing some sort of legal work experience, mainly because it would show dedication to the subject. I would also contact as many universities as you can, explain your situation and they can make you an offer if you are eligible. I know you said you're Interested in UoB and Warwick but apply to other unis too just in case. You can also change your course within Royal Holloway to law and do UoL modules as UCL, Queen Mary or LSE.

To summarise you have a lot of options :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by arhhm
Hi, I transferred unis this month. Typically you need to meet the standard requirements for the unis you want to apply to. In most cases they assess your AS Level grade coupled with your foundation year marks.

I would recommend doing some sort of legal work experience, mainly because it would show dedication to the subject. I would also contact as many universities as you can, explain your situation and they can make you an offer if you are eligible. I know you said you're Interested in UoB and Warwick but apply to other unis too just in case. You can also change your course within Royal Holloway to law and do UoL modules as UCL, Queen Mary or LSE.

To summarise you have a lot of options :smile:

what if my a level grades weren’t that good but my foundation year marks are? and what’s the application process like for transferring universities?
Original post by coispet
hi i’m doing a biomedical sciences with an integrated foundation year at royal holloway and i was just wondering if it’s possible to transfer to a better university like warwick or uob for a different course in a different department (law, reason for this is i initially applied for biomed and just recently assessed my career and want to go into law and im very definitive about this), is it possible to do this if i work hard enough during my foundation year?

Do your A levels (or BTECs or whatever) meet the entry requirements for the course / university you want to transfer to? If so, then possibly - it would depend on the target uni / course. If not, then almost certainly not.

(A foundation year is not a qualification; it therefore can't be used to meet the entry requirements of an undergraduate degree. Hence why they'll look at your Level 3 qualifications.)
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Do your A levels (or BTECs or whatever) meet the entry requirements for the course / university you want to transfer to? If so, then possibly - it would depend on the target uni / course. If not, then almost certainly not.

(A foundation year is not a qualification; it therefore can't be used to meet the entry requirements of an undergraduate degree. Hence why they'll look at your Level 3 qualifications.)

i didn’t get the grades i wanted this year hence why i’m doing a foundation year, would i need to retake a levels and reapply?
Original post by coispet
i didn’t get the grades i wanted this year hence why i’m doing a foundation year, would i need to retake a levels and reapply?

Or in some other way meet their entry requirements. That doesn't have to be A level retakes; it could be an Access course, for example.

Alternatively, do your current grades meet the entry requirements for law course with a foundation year, either at Royal Holloway or elsewhere? If so, and you act fast, you may be able to change course (or even uni) before this academic year has even begun.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
Or in some other way meet their entry requirements. That doesn't have to be A level retakes; it could be an Access course, for example.

Alternatively, do your current grades meet the entry requirements for law course with a foundation year, either at Royal Holloway or elsewhere? If so, and you act fast, you may be able to change course (or even uni) before this academic year has even begun.

unfortunately all the law courses are taken i’ve already called them up
Original post by coispet
unfortunately all the law courses are taken i’ve already called them up

:frown:
Do any of the universities you’re interested in require the LNAT?

To be frank starting a biomed foundation with the goal to study law elsewhere is almost certainly doomed to failure.

You would be much better off taking a gap year and resitting (if you think you can get your grades up) or taking different qualifications (if you don’t think you picked the best A level subjects for you first time round).
Reply 9
Original post by coispet
what if my a level grades weren’t that good but my foundation year marks are? and what’s the application process like for transferring universities?

I got a DCC in A levels, the uni I applied to requires AAA. But my result in first year of uni (a first) coupled w legal work experience meant that I was allowed onto their law programme. Therefore, doing things now that show dedication and excellence in law will get you a place in those unis.
Original post by arhhm
I got a DCC in A levels, the uni I applied to requires AAA. But my result in first year of uni (a first) coupled w legal work experience meant that I was allowed onto their law programme. Therefore, doing things now that show dedication and excellence in law will get you a place in those unis.

The OP is asking about using an unrelated FY to transfer unis. As above, it’s very, very unlikely.
Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
The OP is asking about using an unrelated FY to transfer unis. As above, it’s very, very unlikely.

if it was doing a first year in biomed and then transferring course to law with point of entry being year 2, then yea sure. But first year law does not have any prerequisites except a C/5 in English and maths GCSE. So with all due respect it is achievable and as I said, emailing Universities is the best way forward when it comes to seeking advice. Alternatively they can contact the law department at RHUL and ask about a transfer to a law foundation Programme, and continue down that route. Repeating A levels isn't necessarily the only option.
Original post by arhhm
if it was doing a first year in biomed and then transferring course to law with point of entry being year 2, then yea sure. But first year law does not have any prerequisites except a C/5 in English and maths GCSE. So with all due respect it is achievable and as I said, emailing Universities is the best way forward when it comes to seeking advice. Alternatively they can contact the law department at RHUL and ask about a transfer to a law foundation Programme, and continue down that route. Repeating A levels isn't necessarily the only option.

They’re not, but AL’s are a cheaper, more widely accepted qualification. Agree about contacting universities directly though.
Reply 13
Original post by Admit-One
They’re not, but AL’s are a cheaper, more widely accepted qualification. Agree about contacting universities directly though.

It is cheaper yep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending