The Student Room Group

Why should footballers be on a better salary than soldiers? I think its wrong

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schmucks
So when I referred to racism, you took it upon yourself to discuss other issues in society which aren't in any way connected to football? I assume you hate the televsion industry as well then, as that offers nothing to the homeless etc. Oh, no wait, you're having a pop at a sport instead. Cool.

You're complaining against an industry that was born from the working class to reach all members of the public, that earnt it's money fairly and is now reaping the benefits. This is a creation from the poor to benefit all.

You comment on football violence and say it's tribalistic violence. You're right, but what harm does that do to the common man? Next to none. Having spent time with those who have previously been in football firms, I know that these acts of violence aren't aimed at the general public or innocent stand-byers. Sure, occasionaly the odd accident happens, someone gets mixed into the wrong crowd 'cause they went the wrong way to the ground that day. That is evident in everyday life though. Gang wars, culture wars, race wars etc. Why are you so keen to pick it up against football though which aims to keep it in-house? Those looking for violence will only go to those who want it back. Very rarely is an innocent man the primary victim, so it doesn't really stem away from cultural fights.

In any case, you fail to establish any fairness to the debate. It's obvious how football has created communities within communities and brought people together. How many other industries allow friends, families and those within their community to travel the length of the country in thousands, built around pride, excitement and enjoyment to support their team? Not many. Infact, most sports can't even manage that, let alone oher industries.

I spend a substantial amount of money on football as I enjoy it - It's a hobby. I've met a lot of amazing people through supporting Leeds United. Friends for life. I'm part of a community. I watch a sport I enjoy. It connects me to family that I would most likely not see otherwise. Why should my decision to spend £X amount on football be any business of yours anyway? We're free to do what we want with our disaposable cash, as is anyone who gets involved with the game. The money within the game was earnt fairly.

As for points such as donating to charities for tax benefits, you've clearly failed to do your homework. The majority of clubs that can afford to extend their charitable donations beyond the point of benefit through tax benefits. And even if they didn't, who cares? It's an industry that has grown so strong that it can give to charitable organisations, even if it means to benefit themselves as well. Does that money mean less to the charities? No.

You comment on boys and girls wanting to be footballers. Oh, how much horror... No, wait, what? How is that a bad thing? Would you complain if they said they wanted to be a track and field runner? No. What actual difference does it make to children? None. infact, football clubs are now more ebenficial to youngsters trying to get into the game than ever before, and more-so than any other sport. Many clubs work with their academy and youth players to help them progress through school, and in some cases have their own school academies to make sure they also get a good education. Meanwhile, football offers a safe environment to enjoy a world-wide sport loved by the majority of the population.

This idea that footballers aren't role models anymore as well is a complete joke. There are hundreds of thousands of footballers in Europe, amazingly the vast majority of them aren't out drinking, shagging and cheating on their wives with coke scratched across their nose. No, a hell of a lot of them are hard-working individuals who help out with charities, local schools and communities. They're athletes who look after themselves well and play a sport loved by kids. Look at Jack Wilshere - A talented individual, graceful on the field as much as he is in person. He's a bloody gentleman. He's only 19, he's younger than me, but he has the maturity of a 30 year old. He's a brilliant speaker and quite intelligent. He has qualifications which could get him a job outside of football easily. He's a father through choice, not accident. He works hard for his career, doesn't sleep around, get drunk or take drugs. He's worked with local communities and helped a lot of charities in his short, short career. He's an England international and represents this country with pride. There are many like him, some who do even more, within England alone. They're ten a penny in Europe. How isn't that an inspirational man?

Lastly, and a point which I can't stress enough, degredation of women in the game is non-existant anymore. In the US for example, the women's game is just as big as the men's game. In Europe, the rate of women going to football games is at an all time high. The women's game within the UK and other major countries is more high profile now than it ever has been before. The Women's World Cup was recently broadcast around the globe.

another point is that you have asked questions and then replied on my behalf please dont do that, once again i did not say i am against football, i am against the high paying wages.... and how fans can pay such money to watch a game, is the team loved its supporters surely football would be a great game and the overheads should be paid for but the paying of players not on.................................................
Reply 181
Football is a massively corrupt business. People are more interested in watching football, than say, a war?

****loads of people spend their money to watch it and so they pay the players.

They're hardly going to pay money to watch a war.
Reply 182
Original post by bazm
Football is a massively corrupt business. People are more interested in watching football, than say, a war?

****loads of people spend their money to watch it and so they pay the players.

They're hardly going to pay money to watch a war.

Corrupt? ...
Reply 183
Original post by Rascacielos
Without wanting to sound rude, I doubt you put in quite the same amount of effort, both physical and mental, as professional footballers.

How would you define success then?

I'm interested in finding out how you would define it?
The worlds best footballers get paid so much because of the fact that they are attract a large amount of revenue for the football clubs they play for whether that be through merchandise, contracts with media companies etc.
If you earnt your company a large amount of money you would naturally expect that to be reflected in the amount you get paid. It would be unreasonable for footballers to be paid minimum wage when they earn their clubs millions in merchandise etc. Plus if this was the case you would not attract the best footballers to play football as a profession therefore the standard and money in the sport would reduce.
Soldiers are public servants, thus their wage is not necessarily calculated by the amount of financial value they contribute and given that in the case of soldiers the financial value they do contribute is small and the government does not have an infinite amount of money, the amount soldiers can get paid is limited.
If anything we should encourage football clubs to pay the amount they do to their top footballers as this benefits society financially through taxation and indirectly through the jobs that are created in the footballing sector.
Original post by BCUciaran
Exactly. People who view them as heroes are people conditioned by the media. Like SkyNews and The Sun who constantly show sob stories from soldiers and yet you never see a thing about the innocent children shot dead which happends almost daily!vPeople say some do horrible stuff but the majority are great. It is the other way around.

Half of them should be jailed not paid more. Here is why: (I know he is American but same thing in this situation really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUvABcw6gIY

Personally it makes me feel a bit sick when people call them heroes. For purposes of defence, protection, peace-keeping etc., I'm fine with them, but when it comes to brutal murder and torture, it seems pretty twisted to call them heroes. Soldiers come out of the other end with post traumatic stress, physically and mentally broken, but they chose that career, and while no doubt some people go there because they genuinely want to defend the country, I know a lot of people that have "joined the army" because they haven't got anywhere in life, or haven't got the grades for university and decided that this is the option for them so that people will respect them.

I'm pretty much anti-war. Putting their lives on the line for peace-keeping: heroes. Murdering innocent people, ie "collateral damage": messed up. Besides, many of the factors influencing war are to do with greed and power - people aren't dying for a good reason. Both parties are dying in an battle of power, sucking in innocent people who don't want to get involved at all.
Reply 186
My dad used to be in the army, but no amount of money would ever be able to replace him had he lost his life. He put his life on the line for our country as does my uncle everytime he goes out to Iraq or Afghanistan...
My comment isn't really about the fact that footballers should get paid less. But I do believe that soldiers should get paid more.
Original post by Planar
Lol you sound like Catullus

That is one way to avoid my question..:dancing2:
Reply 188

Really? Nar mate... Hot Fuzz? I would get my head ripped off? I am sure I would.. that is my point..

Go away back to your cave, you cretin.

Where is the evidence they have raped women etc. etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 189
Original post by PompeyFTW
Soldiers are murderers and do not deserve huge wages.

Idiot.
Original post by TM94

I am a caveman for being against the rape of innocent women and children?

“We will see how very important it is to bring about, in the human mind, the radical revolution. The crisis is a crisis in consciousness. A crisis that cannot, anymore, accept the old norms, the old patterns, the ancient traditions. And, considering what the world is now, with all the misery, conflict, destructive brutality, aggression, and so on… Man is still as he was. Is still brutal, violent, aggressive, acquisitive, competitive. And, he’s built a society along these lines.” - J. Krishnamurti
Reply 191
I am a caveman for being against the rape of innocent women and children

*sigh*

You're a caveman/prat* for laying down accusations you have no way of quantifying or proving. You exhibit a blind, baseless hatred and utter ignorance. That's why people neg you. It has nothing to do with your views, but the idiotic manner in which you present them.

*delete as applicable
Original post by chap54
I'm interested in finding out how you would define it?

Don't answer a question with another question.
Original post by Drewski
*sigh*

You're a caveman/prat* for laying down accusations you have no way of quantifying or proving. You exhibit a blind, baseless hatred and utter ignorance. That's why people neg you. It has nothing to do with your views, but the idiotic manner in which you present them.

*delete as applicable

If you even bothered to check the previous posts on this page you would see I provided links to support what I am saying.

And as it says on that page.. it is only the tip of the ice berg!

There are even video interviews with ex soldiers saying what went on in Iraq and Afganistan. Makes me feel ill tbh.
Original post by TM94

The disappointing issue in all this is that, if he wanted, he could back up his point - Abu Ghraib springs to mind. He just presents his views in such a bigoted, cretinous way.
This. People don't seem to grasp that seeing as government pays the wages of soldiers, whereas footballer's wages are dependent on demand for football and the wealth of the employer; seeing as any government who tried to pay its army footballers wages would collapse economically, the argument is a moralistic one and not a logical one.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by KingMessi
The disappointing issue in all this is that, if he wanted, he could back up his point - Abu Ghraib springs to mind. He just presents his views in such a bigoted, cretinous way.

A prison springs to mind? Cretinism? Big words you are throwing around there.
Reply 197
Original post by KingMessi

And those found to be guilty at Abu Ghraib were found, tried and convicted.

You get criminals in everyday society, why single out the Armed Forces as a special case, as if those within are not also capable of the same human failings that anyone else is?
Forces personnel are not superhuman. They do not possess the ability to never make mistakes. Acting as though they do is pure fantasy.
Fact of the matter is that anyone can be a soldier, only a handful of people can be footballers.

If soldiers were paid £1m a year then we'd probably have to pay cleaners £1m a year or McDonalds employees £1m a year. Inflation says we can't do it.
Reply 199
I don't like the fact that footballers get extraordinary wages.
But I don't see why it is of any of your concern. Its not as though that money comes from you is it? It comes from privately owned clubs, and they deserve the right to be able to spend their money however they want, if this means giving their players massive wages then who are you to intervene?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending