The Student Room Group

Bob Dylan Sucks And Is Not All That Influential

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Ory
OP
Original post by OkSauce
I noticed you ignored my question as to why you're better qualified to talk about this than anyone else. This is just your opinion, everyone's got one and trying to deny his influence just because you don't like him won't do any good. Your bizarre personal hatred for one of the foremost poetic figures and musicians of the 20th century is almost funny

I know enough about music theory, composition and arrangement to understand. Im not saying Im the only one qualified to comment, but the general "OH YEAH MAN GIMME THAT BOB DYLAN THE POET LAUREATE OF ROCK AND ROLL MAN" is not enough. Also, I have asked you to identify why he was such a great influence, assuming you voted that way. Why? Identify why he, and not others who had done it before, made the impact ascribed to him (by you and others).

It's douchebaggery and cultism.
Reply 121
Original post by Ory
I know enough about music theory, composition and arrangement to understand. Im not saying Im the only one qualified to comment, but the general "OH YEAH MAN GIMME THAT BOB DYLAN THE POET LAUREATE OF ROCK AND ROLL MAN" is not enough. Also, I have asked you to identify why he was such a great influence, assuming you voted that way. Why? Identify why he, and not others who had done it before, made the impact ascribed to him (by you and others).

It's douchebaggery and cultism.

Something wrong with Japan and Spain? you a racist as well as an idiot?
Original post by Ory
Dude that is funny. Your fanboyism is incredible. You've named two artists who said Dylan was an influence. These artists were also influenced multitudes of times more by other artists,without whom Dylan would never have existed. Artists like Little Richard, Elvis, the Jazz greats, the Blues greats, Nelson, and a bunch of others. But everyone wanted to mention the short man. Wait - two people did, maybe some others.

This statement by the short man alone makes me think he is a lightweight in the music world, and has no idea what he is doing (like when he is singing). He was the Kesha of the hippy generation and lucky to be that.

Whatever dude. Springsteen had more impact and originality than you ever did.

Bob Dylan is massively influential, as is Little Richard and Elvis. All three had massive influences. So what the hell are you banging on about. Bob Dylan was one of the select few of artist, including the one's you named who influenced music massively.

Lyrically is where he had a massive effect. So what are you saying, Bob Dylan wasn't really influential. Well Bull****, all of these guys ways of singing were brilliant, their performance were brilliant. What they stood for was brilliant. Bob Dylan is the one who was the Poet, who raised Lyricism to an artform. Or what are you going to say? He killed Guthrie and stole all of his lyrics.:rolleyes:
Who is Bob Dylan?
Reply 124
Ory
OP
Original post by TCD23

Lyrically is where he had a massive effect. So what are you saying, Bob Dylan wasn't really influential. Well Bull****, all of these guys ways of singing were brilliant, their performance were brilliant. What they stood for was brilliant. Bob Dylan is the one who was the Poet, who raised Lyricism to an artform

HAHAHAH!!!
Original post by Ory
HAHAHAH!!!

Right so who did then? Your just a troll, I guess. Despite hundreds of bands and artists saying that they count him as an influence, apparently he hasn't influenced anybody. :rolleyes:
Reply 126
yeah just a troll. Waste of time
Reply 127
Ory
OP
Original post by TCD23
Right so who did then? Your just a troll, I guess. Despite hundreds of bands and artists saying that they count him as an influence, apparently he hasn't influenced anybody. :rolleyes:

No, I'm just a guy with basic grade school English, and if hundreds say he is an influence so what? They were all influenced by Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Nat King Cole, Tommy Dorsey, Little Richard, Perry Como and Elvis a lot more - albeit subconsciously.

By the way, who are these hundreds of popular acts that have said this?
Original post by Ory
No, I'm just a guy with basic grade school English, and if hundreds say he is an influence so what? They were all influenced by Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Nat King Cole, Tommy Dorsey, Little Richard, Perry Como and Elvis a lot more - albeit subconsciously.

By the way, who are these hundreds of popular acts that have said this?

I am not saying he is the only influence. And your title is he's not that influential, yet he's influenced hundreds of artists, so yes he must be influenced. You for some reason think that he hasn't influenced nobody. Your are a troll, and subconciously? You are really dumb, and trying to wind people up.

As for naming them, I'm not going to write hundreds of peoples and link them, but here's a couple just to demonstrate:

John Lennon, he said " "In Paris in 1964 was the first time I ever heard Dylan at all. Paul got the record (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan) from a French DJ. For three weeks in Paris we didn't stop playing it. We all went potty about Dylan."

Paul Mccartney, he said " "I'm in awe of Bob ... He hit a period where people went, 'Oh, I don't like him now.' And I said, 'No. It's Bob Dylan.' To me, it's like Picasso, where people discuss his various periods, 'This was better than this, was better than this.' But I go, 'No. It's Picasso. It's all good.' "

Pete Townsend, he said " "They asked me what effect Bob Dylan had on me,that's like asking how I was influenced by being born."

Neil Young, he said "I'll never be Bob Dylan. He's the master. If I'd like to be anyone, it's him. And he's a great writer, true to his music and done what he feels is the right thing to do for years and years and years. He's great. He's the one I look to."

David Bowie wrote a song called "A song for Bob Dylan" saying how great he though he was.

Tom Waits, he said "With Dylan, so much has been said about him, it's difficult so say anything about him that hasn't already been said, and say it better. Suffice it to say Dylan is a planet to be explored. For a songwriter, Dylan is as essential as a hammer and nails and a saw are to a carpenter."

Bruce Springsteen inducted him into the hall of fame.

Now all of these artists are some of the biggest selling artists of all time, including the biggest band of all time. So are you still going to say that he wasn't a massive influence. By the way not the only influence, obviously I don't know where you've got that from. But a massive infleunce? Undeniable. So what are you going to say now then?
The only way he's influenced me is by discouraging myself to write or play like him, because I don't like his music.

Claiming that he hasn't influenced other (countless) artists is stupid.

But yeah. I can't stand him.
Reply 130
Ory
OP
Sure he has influenced others. The debate is : has his mark been made to the extent that many of his fans proclaim? Even the statements by rock stars who say he is an influence mean little, as they could have been influenced by others and produced the same music...

To say that hundreds were influenced means nothing, especially as there are literally thousands of influences, and only a few examples of Dylan being an influence were given.

What Dylan said in the mid 00s about the last 20 years of pop music is also wrong (see post above). He seems to believe his own myth. There is plenty of original music in the last 20 years, and wonderful producers, many of whom would probably overlook Dylan as an influence.

Yes, influential, No: not one of the greats when you see a list of his contemporaries, but certainly people like talking about him and try to be nice to him.
Reply 131
Ory
OP
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
Who is Bob Dylan?

Someone that douchebags and the cool kids like and say "OH YES DYLAN IS A LEGEND. HE WAS THE MOST INFRUENTIAL ARTIST IN ROCK - ROCK ON BROTHER!"
Reply 132
Original post by Ory
OH YES DYLAN IS A LEGEND. HE WAS THE MOST INFLUENTIAL ARTIST IN ROCK - ROCK ON BROTHER

Yes! Glad you finally agree!
Reply 133
He may not the have the most beautiful voice, but his songs are genius.

Like a Rolling Stone <3

Quick Reply

Latest