The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Will I feel at home at university?

Hi everyone,

We’re Festy and Andy, and we’re current students at Swansea University!

With results day coming up, we understand it can be a worrying and challenging time particularly if you are unsure about what is going to happen next!

We’ll be here over the next two weeks, to answer your questions and tell you a bit about what it’s like to be a student here and how you could be part of our community.

We want you to feel as supported and prepared as possible in the lead up to university, so any questions you may have just ask away!

Festy and Andy 😊
What fun things are there to do in Swansea? I had a friend who studied there but never got to visit! The beaches look cool
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Thanks for hosting! What kind of support networks are there at the uni, like if you're feeling anxious or overwhelmed, who can you talk with?
Original post by Anonymous
What fun things are there to do in Swansea? I had a friend who studied there but never got to visit! The beaches look cool

Hi, thanks for your question. Swansea's location is quite different from most universities as we're based on the coast next to lots of amazing beaches, but we also have a busy city centre with plenty of nightlife, shops and activities to explore.

The new Swansea Arena has recently been built in the centre which holds regular music, comedy and entertainment events, and the nearby Uplands area is also popular with students for live music and quiz nights. The Gower is a short drive outside the city centre, which is an area of natural outstanding beauty with lots of opportunity for walking, watersports, camping and all things outdoors.

On our campuses we have Taliesin Arts Centre and the Egyptology Museum if you're looking for history or culture, as well as 24/7 libraries, students unions and bars which work well both as social and study spaces.

To explore all of this, there are 24 hour Unibuses and a Santander bicycle scheme which you can jump on from both campuses.

- Nia :smile:
Thanks for hosting! What kind of support networks are there at the uni, like if you're feeling anxious or overwhelmed, who can you talk with?

Hi, no problem! :smile: We have a range of support services at Swansea to help you enjoy your time at university.

Welfare@CampusLife are available to provide guidance and support on issues such as homelessness, homesickness, loneliness, bullying and harassment, bereavements and much more. We also provide a Chaplaincy@CampusLife listening service, which is for students who would benefit speaking to someone more generally in a confidential environment. Formal counselling through Breathe UK is available for all students, as well as a free login for Togetherall - an app providing 24/7 support from trained clinicians.

The university also provides a Disability Service which helps with things like disabled students' allowance applications, requesting extra provisions for assessments, arranging specific accommodation requirements and putting students in touch with the wider support services. We also provide specific support for certain disabilities and learning difficulties - more information can be found here.

To encourage a healthy and happy university environment, Swansea has a range of Freshers events on in the first few weeks of term to help 1st year students meet their course mates & make new friends. There are also a range of wellbeing events scheduled around exams season, featuring things like free massages, puppy petting rooms and DIY crafts.

I hope this helps, but please do reply if you have any other questions. :biggrin:

- Nia :smile:

Hi, Festy's here. Thanks for your question.
I would love to tell you that you have a lot of choices to spend your time here.

If you love nature, Swansea has many beaches where you can relax and refresh your mind. Swansea beach, Bracelet bay, Limeslade bay, and many more beaches with clean and white sand can give you a good experience. Further away, there is Rhosilli beach located in Gower (a bit far, but it's worth visiting!)
*Hop on hop off bus is also available to go to some beaches, so you can do city sightseeing along the way.

You can go to museums, and learn about the history of Swansea and the influential figure in Swansea such as Dylan Thomas. You can enjoy a boat trip in marine after you relish your time in the museum. You can also learn how Cygnet is distilled on-site, through the unique and fascinating distillation process in Cygnet Distillery.

I would like to advise you to visit our campus; we have Art Centre and Egyptology museum on Singleton Campus, and a beach next to Bay Campus.

All of the places are easy to access by bus or Santander bicycle.

Cheers! ^^

Hi there! ^^

We have various ways of student support here in uni. You can consult about your problem with the person in charge without worrying.
You can check the various services here:
https://myuni.swansea.ac.uk/student-support-services/

There are also many societies provided in uni as a place for students where they can make friends. With involvement in society, students can feel they are at home although they are miles away from home.

For academic purposes, don't hesitate to contact the lecturer because they will be so happy to help you when you have problems with the lectures. I can guarantee this (because I did the same thing ^^)

Hope this helps!
Hi, I am interested in finding out a bit more information on getting around and staying near the university when visiting. Firstly, are the buses free between Campuses? Also, are there any eateries on Bay campus ( cafe/ pizzeria etc..) lastly, as I plan to visit next week; where would be a good, cheap place to stay overnight as we are travelling from East Yorkshire via coach? There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info about on YouTube and TSR with regards to communal areas, societies and on-campus socials so any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 😊
Hi, I am interested in finding out a bit more information on getting around and staying near the university when visiting. Firstly, are the buses free between Campuses? Also, are there any eateries on Bay campus ( cafe/ pizzeria etc..) lastly, as I plan to visit next week; where would be a good, cheap place to stay overnight as we are travelling from East Yorkshire via coach? There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info about on YouTube and TSR with regards to communal areas, societies and on-campus socials so any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 😊

Hi, thanks for your question. In Bay Campus, we have some places to eat and enjoy meals, like subway, tafarn tawe cafe, and costa. We also have Tesco express to get some snacks. In Singleton, there are costa, Greggs, and many more where you can sit and spend your time while chit-chatting with your friend.

To get campus to campus, bus service 8 is the only one which operates as now is the holiday season. However, you can still reach there using another bus service. For example, if you want to go to Singleton from Bay Campus, you could use bus services X1, X5, and X7 to get to the bus terminus first, then continue your journey using bus service 4A to get to Singleton Campus, and vice versa.
**One thing, buses have limited operating hours here; consider that when you are going.

About staying, you can choose to stay in a hotel or Airbnb.

hope this helps ^^,
Original post by SwanseaTSRTalks1
Hi everyone,

We’re Festy and Andy, and we’re current students at Swansea University!

With results day coming up, we understand it can be a worrying and challenging time particularly if you are unsure about what is going to happen next!

We’ll be here over the next two weeks, to answer your questions and tell you a bit about what it’s like to be a student here and how you could be part of our community.

We want you to feel as supported and prepared as possible in the lead up to university, so any questions you may have just ask away!

Festy and Andy 😊
Hi. It's all cool. E erone is the same. You will make friends fast

Quick Reply

Latest