The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry B F331 Chemistry for Life (13-01-2012)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Roshniroxy
I had c1 this morning, how come you have c1 and c2 in the same day ? F. Maths or retake ?

I had a cheese bagguete for lunch

F.Maths I would talk about the test cause talking maths hidden in a chemistry discussion is genius. But I already got 10 warming points yesterday so can't risk it
Reply 381
Original post by Miracle
I lost the marks on the functional groups :'(
and I messed up the emissions questions,
and Im pretty sure I lost other marks by accident </3

so I guess, around 10 - 13 marks lost </3
and an A is probably going to be around 54, as it was a fairly easy paper :frown:(

I doubt it will ever be that high. 51/60 at best, unless OCR are just sadistic. I don't think it will be higher than 50.
Reply 382
Original post by elisabethr
this was soo much harder than any past paper !!! :angry:

I dont think so, I think if you did any of the other past papers unseen, and under exam conditions you'd find that hard too :/
Original post by Miracle
I lost the marks on the functional groups :'(
and I messed up the emissions questions,
and Im pretty sure I lost other marks by accident </3

so I guess, around 10 - 13 marks lost </3
and an A is probably going to be around 54, as it was a fairly easy paper :frown:(

I don't think it was A=54
I think it will be about 49/50 but cause loads of people take chemistry even if they aren't that good so grade boundaries will be constant
I made like 10/15 marks of mistakes and not knowing
I made soooooo many mistakes in that paper it's beyond belief!!! Defo lost around 10 - 12 marks! Does anyone remember the questions so a unofficial mark scheme could be made???? :smile:
Something about particulates question?
I wrote: incomplete combustion than wrote about nitrogen oxides forming photochemical smog
Reply 386
Original post by Jammy4410
Something about particulates question?
I wrote: incomplete combustion than wrote about nitrogen oxides forming photochemical smog

It's just incomplete combustion. This came up in the old spec paper from Jan 2008. 1 mark for saying incomplete, 1 mark for saying combustion.
Does anyone know when the exam results are out?
For anyone who's taken this paper for the first time today - don't sweat it too much!! Once you've furthered your studies of chemistry, returning to this paper doesn't seem as bad as it was the first time round, and you've got plenty of time to retake it IF (and I mean if, you'll probably do better than you're thinking) you don't get the grade you need. That's what I did, anyway :smile:
Original post by puddinboy
Does anyone know when the exam results are out?

8th of March I believe, all though I could be wrong?
1. Biofuel is made from non-food parts of plants
Name one reason for using non-food plant matter as biofuel. (1)
Furfural is a fuel with an aldehyde functional group. Name two other functional groups on the furfural molecule (2)
A student calculated the enthalpy change for combustion of furfural. he measured the change in weight of the burner and the change in temperature of the water, name three other factors the student would need to know to calculate the deltaH (3)
the enthalpy of the bonds in the reactants is 7800(please clarify)kj and the enthalphy of the bonds in the reactants is 9880(please clarify) Calculate the Enthalpy change of combustion (1)
The student's value for the deltaH and the one from the databook are very different. Aside from heat losses suggest why this could be the case(3or 4)

That's what I remember question 1 as.
this was a resit for me, I got a B last Jan. I definitely found it a lot easier second time around, probably because I've done an extra year of chemistry. There was nothing on radioactivity though?! :O
Original post by Zhy
It's just incomplete combustion. This came up in the old spec paper from Jan 2008. 1 mark for saying incomplete, 1 mark for saying combustion.

I wrote: almost exact, the fuel incompletely combusts, then went on to talk about NOx
Although it might have wanted you to talk about soot or carbon made
Furfural is a fuel with an aldehyde functional group. Name two other functional groups on the furfural molecule (2)
A student calculated the enthalpy change for combustion of furfural. he measured the change in weight of the burner and the change in temperature of the water, name three other factors the student would need to know to calculate the deltaH (3)
the enthalpy of the bonds in the reactants is 7800(please clarify)kj and the enthalphy of the bonds in the reactants is 9880(please clarify) Calculate the Enthalpy change of combustion (1)
The student's value for the deltaH and the one from the databook are very different. Aside from heat losses suggest why this could be the case(3or 4)

(a) Wrote something about 3rd world countries not starving or something lol!
(b) ether and alkene
(c) specific heat capacity of water, volume of water heated, Mr of furfural.
(d) -2xxx kJmol-1 (can't remember exact digits)
(e) incomplete combustion, experiment may not have been performed under exact standard condition, bond enthalpy values are taken when in their gaseous state

I'm pretty sure that nothing is wrong there, but please correct me if I've made any mistakes!
Original post by jamsie555
(a) Wrote something about 3rd world countries not starving or something lol!
(b) ether and alkene
(c) specific heat capacity of water, volume of water heated, Mr of furfural.
(d) -2xxx kJmol-1 (can't remember exact digits)
(e) incomplete combustion, experiment may not have been performed under exact standard condition, bond enthalpy values are taken when in their gaseous state

I'm pretty sure that nothing is wrong there, but please correct me if I've made any mistakes!

for (c) could you have put number of moles burnt and the energy transferred or is that completely wrong :s-smilie:...
advice here, on the question about emission spectra,

for some reason i wrote about the whole electron getting excited to a higher energly level, but at the end i did write ''lines closer at higher frequencies'' and ''dark background, colourful lines''

should get the marks right?
(edited 12 years ago)
Having sat this paper last Jan and June and then again this Jan to try and get more marks, I personally thought that this paper was quite a harsh one, especially compared to last years. An A for Jan 2010 I think it was, was 41 and an A in passed years has ranged from that up to 50 (usually 48/49/50) so I suspect/hope it is slightly lower this year, perhaps 46ish, just below 80%. What are other peoples thoughts? :smile:
Reply 398

Last question was State 3 reasons why the Students value for deltaH and one from the data book are very different; Aside from heat lost. (3 Marks)

I Put that you have to consider:
1. Human error; Misreading of the tempature increase.
2. Unbrunt Fuel; Lower ratio of heat to fuel.
3. Value from the data book is from average bond energy therefore could be higher then the ture value.

What does anyone else think of that question?
Reply 399
Original post by Kwwl
Last question was State 3 reasons why the Students value for deltaH and one from the data book are very different; Aside from heat lost. (3 Marks)

I Put that you have to consider:
1. Human error; Misreading of the tempature increase.
2. Unbrunt Fuel; Lower ratio of heat to fuel.
3. Value from the data book is from average bond energy therefore could be higher then the ture value.

What does anyone else think of that question?

Bond enthalpies are averages, bond enthalpies are for gaseous state (not standard states here), intermolecular forces broken and made, evaporation of fuel from wick, incomplete combustion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending