The Student Room Group

abortion at 24 weeks is murder.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LipstickKisses
This isn't objective, it is completely subjective as the UK law was made by HUMANS and is therefore arbitrary. Morally, killing is wrong. Killing a baby is wrong.

What exactly is this moral law based on? How can there be a moral system that is uninfluenced by human feeling toward the issue?
Reply 141
Original post by Tommyjw
Wow.. you actually can't read English can you? I'll copy and paste the same thing i've been saying over and over, just for you.

'Most problems don't arise til after 20 weeks. Serious and non serious problems. Non serious problems which would still be allowed by law and objective morals to class for an abortion before 24 weeks.Lowering the time to 20 weeks or less means people who would not be happy about various conditions, which is their choice, could do nothing about it unless it was serious.. as they would have found out AFTER their 'time was up' to make the decision'

See the bit in bold, thats the bit you have failed to read over and over.

And no, i have not admitted that, again stop with the lies.

buy nikes? :facepalm: Okay just shut up now, embarrassing yourself.

Thanks for ignoring all points again, ignoring points against your source,s and making things up again. Yet i'm the retarded one.. :rolleyes:. How cute.

Come back when you have something intelligent to add for once.

Seriously.. a 1987 source that doesn't even say what you said it does.. lol!

Right, so most problems arise post 20 weeks? That's why 99% of abortions are carried out after 20 weeks then I guess... O wait, they aren't. Almost all of the actually serious problems that arise post 20 weeks are medical issues, rather than social... Seriously... no sources, that back up nothing you say lol!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by Tommyjw

A lot of birth defects can't be noticed til 20 weeks+. Why should a family be FORCED to keep a child which may e hard to look after? They should be ENCOURAGED to , but forced is a different thing entirely. you will be legally forcing a parent to keep a disabled child. For example, a young single mother with no support from family will have a disabled child. She gets money from the government, but not enough to help with the disability, what does she do now?

Lets say an 18 year old finds out, at 18 weeks, her baby is severely disabled. Such so that the mothers life will essentially be ruined because of the time spent looking after this children throughout his entire life. not just as a child.
Now, time now gives her like 6 weeks to ' make a decision' on what she wants to do. If it was lowered.. to say 19 weeks. She would have a week to make this VERY important decision. One week.. she will have no legal help or alternative, a person will have a week, and many less, to make massive life changing decisions. How is that fair?

Abortion is the fact that the mother should have more rights than the child. And the legality of it allows them to have such rights.

Lets just remind people what you said that started this whole debate shall we, before you decided to move the goal posts :smile:
Reply 143
Original post by Elipsis
Right, so most problems arise post 20 weeks? That's why 99% of abortions are carried out before 20 weeks then I guess... O wait, they aren't. Seriously... no sources, that back up nothing you say lol!

/yawn

Please, as i have said, post something intelligent for once. How about reading some sources i have given you.. it would help your unintelligent points so much.

Here is them link just to help you.
http://www.dh.gov.uk/dr_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_127202.pdf

'In 2010, the vast majority (98%; 185,291) of abortions were undertaken under ground C'
Ground C - the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman

If you look up problems arising during pregnancy, most become apparent around or after 20 weeks.

Now, the statistics for abortions above 20 weeks. 2000 under C, above. 800 under E, 'there is a substantial risk that if the child were born it would suffer from such
physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped'

Now.. 2800 people had abortions from this during 20 weeks+. With 8-- of those, almost 1/3, being for major problems, as shown by what the category E stands for.
Now, the category E during other weeks.
13-19 = 1100, less than 10% of the 'reasons'.
10-12 = 363, like 2 % or less.
3-9 = 19. Out of 145 thousand, cba to work it out.

by these figures, we can clearly see that an overwhelming majorty percentage of people get an abortion above 20 weeks because of life changing or harming risks to the child. This shows that majority of such problems do not become apparent until such a time.
Reply 144
Original post by Elipsis
Lets just remind people what you said that started this whole debate shall we, before you decided to move the goal posts :smile:

Yep, and my view hasn't changed since despite your consistent and proven lies =]
Reply 145
Original post by Tommyjw
/yawn

Please, as i have said, post something intelligent for once. How about reading some sources i have given you.. it would help your unintelligent points so much.

Here is them link just to help you.
http://www.dh.gov.uk/dr_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/documents/digitalasset/dh_127202.pdf

'In 2010, the vast majority (98%; 185,291) of abortions were undertaken under ground C'
Ground C - the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman

If you look up problems arising during pregnancy, most become apparent around or after 20 weeks.

Now, the statistics for abortions above 20 weeks. 2000 under C, above. 800 under E, 'there is a substantial risk that if the child were born it would suffer from such
physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped'

Now.. 2800 people had abortions from this during 20 weeks+. With 8-- of those, almost 1/3, being for major problems, as shown by what the category E stands for.
Now, the category E during other weeks.
13-19 = 1100, less than 10% of the 'reasons'.
10-12 = 363, like 2 % or less.
3-9 = 19. Out of 145 thousand, cba to work it out.

by these figures, we can clearly see that an overwhelming majorty percentage of people get an abortion above 20 weeks because of life changing or harming risks to the child. This shows that majority of such problems do not become apparent until such a time.

Yes, and it has been my contention all along has been that unless it is category E there is no morally upright reason as to why a baby should be aborted beyond 20 weeks. You used someone being lumbered with a disabled baby as the example to try and prove your point, and my point was that the 1/3 of 'justified' abortions could go ahead whilst the unjustified ones were stopped. Now stop wasting my time you oxygen theif, I am not going to waste another second on you.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 146
Original post by Elipsis
Yes, and it has been my contention all along that unless it is category E there is no morally upright reason as to why a baby should be aborted beyond 20 weeks. You used someone being lumbered with a disabled baby as the example to try and prove your point, and my point was that the 1/3 of 'justified' abortions could go ahead whilst the unjustified ones were stopped.

Rofl, what a fail.

You do realize category E is amongst the least serious? Wow haha, you complete fail.

Let me clarify. You say 'unless it is category E there is no morally upright reason as to why a baby should be aborted beyond 20 weeks.'

Cat E - Risk that child will be harmed, physically or mentally, and handicapped.

Cat A - Same as above essentially, but for the mother
Cat B - Unless terminated, woman will get serious permanent physical or mental injuries
Cat C - Carrying on will increase risk of physical or mental problems to the mother
Cat D is kinda crappy anyway, about the other children not liking it basically
Cat F - Termiantion is require else woman dies
Cat G - prevent grave permanent injury.

So, to summarize, you believe that abortion because of risks to the child, is more important than risks of death , or more serious injury to the mother? Just shown again you have no clue what youare talking about.

I'm also going to mention the fact my stats just completely destroyed your argument, and your little made up view in response just shows it, thanks =]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 147
Original post by Tommyjw
Rofl, what a fail.

You do realize category E is amongst the least serious? Wow haha, you complete fail.

Let me clarify. You say 'unless it is category E there is no morally upright reason as to why a baby should be aborted beyond 20 weeks.'

Cat E - Risk that child will be harmed, physically or mentally, and handicapped.

Cat A - Same as above essentially, but for the mother
Cat B - Unless terminated, woman will get serious permanent physical or mental injuries
Cat C - Carrying on will increase risk of physical or mental problems to the mother
Cat D is kinda crappy anyway, about the other children not liking it basically
Cat F - Termiantion is require else woman dies
Cat G - prevent grave permanent injury.

So, to summarize, you believe that abortion because of risks to the child, is more important than risks of death , or more serious injury to the mother? Just shown again you have noclue what youa re talkinb about.

I'm also going to mention the fact my stats just completely destroyed your argument, and your little made up view in response just shows it, thanks =]

No, I thought Cat E included harm to the mother...and I have said throughout the thread that harm to the mother justifies a 20-full term abortion. This is my last post to you, bai.
No, I think you'll find it's still called abortion.
Original post by Tommyjw
Yep, and my view hasn't changed since despite your consistent and proven lies =]

Please read and take note:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/pprm.php
Original post by Otkem
Because abortion is murder. She should have kept her legs crossed.

Abstinence should be promoted instead of contraception, as abstinence is the only 100% effective way of stopping unwanted pregnancy.

Yeah, because that works so well in the US :rolleyes:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/20/bush-teen-pregnancy-cdc-report
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/nov/02/america-problem-sex-education?INTCMP=SRCH
I am creating a for and against argument at the moment for when of my studies at school and had to do a questionnaire and on every questionnaire everyone said the abortion limit should be decreased to at least 12 weeks because at 12 weeks the foetus has all of it organs and starts feeling pain and over the next 6 months just develops, so you are only killing a baby.

LIKE THIS COMMENT IF YOU THINK THE ABORTION LIMIT SHOULD BE LOWERED!
Original post by nicolachambers
I am creating a for and against argument at the moment for when of my studies at school and had to do a questionnaire and on every questionnaire everyone said the abortion limit should be decreased to at least 12 weeks because at 12 weeks the foetus has all of it organs and starts feeling pain and over the next 6 months just develops, so you are only killing a baby.

Dude, this isn't facebook. Also, please get some medical textbooks for your class and yourself and learn the facts.
Reply 153
Original post by YorkieLad101
where your proof? a foetus knows what its mum sounds like, if it can recognise voices then its alive IMO

Plants have been shown to recognise specific sounds, is it murder to pick a daisy? Ants are as sapient as a featous, is killing an ant murder?
Original post by Steevee
Plants have been shown to recognise specific sounds, is it murder to pick a daisy? Ants are as sapient as a featous, is killing an ant murder?

depends on how you see it
Original post by Philbert
Dude, this isn't facebook. Also, please get some medical textbooks for your class and yourself and learn the facts.

I never said it was facebook and medical textbooks whatttt?

Please don't ask for rep, kthxbai.
I never said it was facebook and medical textbooks whatttt?

a) Asking for rep is against the site rules (I think. If it isn't it's moronic at least)
b) Forgive me, I thought you were lost and were posting on the wrong website, since "LIKE THIS IF YOU AGREE" is the sort of comment you find on facebook.
c) Every "fact" you stated was scientifically inaccurate, which is why I suggested that you find some credible sources.
Original post by Philbert
a) Asking for rep is against the site rules (I think. If it isn't it's moronic at least)
b) Forgive me, I thought you were lost and were posting on the wrong website, since "LIKE THIS IF YOU AGREE" is the sort of comment you find on facebook.
c) Every "fact" you stated was scientifically inaccurate, which is why I suggested that you find some credible sources.

to see how many people agree?
And it wasnt look at the Heather and Branned child development text book.
to see how many people agree?
And it wasnt look at the Heather and Branned child development text book.

Then ask people to quote you, or make a poll.

The textbook may be correct but the way you phrased your post is vague; what does "have all of its organs" mean? That they are all fully developed, which isn't the case, or just there, ready to develop further? The neural pathways that enable you to process pain are not fully developed until at least week 28, so it's unknown whether a foetus at 12 weeks can feel pain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending