Student finance – how to apply

Full-time and part-time undergraduate student finance applications for 2022 to 2023 are now open! The quickest and easiest way to apply is online at

Don’t worry if you missed the full-time student finance deadline – there’s still time! If you’ve applied late, you may receive the minimum amount of student finance to ensure you have some money for the start of your course. Find out more about applying late.

Our contact centre is very busy at the moment. You don’t need to call us to check the progress of your application. Once you’ve applied for student finance, you can use your online account to:

  • View our application status tracker
  • Check ‘Your actions to complete’
  • Upload evidence
  • Reset your password or secret answer
  • Update your personal details

It's quick and easy to use your online account, watch our 'How to' films for step-by-step tutorials.

New students

1. Set up a student finance account

When you register you’ll be given a unique Customer Reference Number and be asked to create a password and secret answer. You should keep these safe as you’ll need them to log into your account to check the progress of your application and re-apply for student finance next year.

2. Fill in and submit your application

The first time you apply you’ll be asked for proof of identity. You can easily do this by giving us your valid UK passport details. If you don’t have a UK passport, you may have to send us evidence. See section 3 to find out what to send.

You will also need the following information to complete your application:

  • course start date and end date
  • bank account details
  • National Insurance number

Don’t worry if you don’t know your National Insurance number or where to find it. HMRC have made it quick and easy to find this information, all you have to do is click on the link and register your details:

This means that you no longer have to contact HMRC directly to obtain your National Insurance number.

If you want to apply for student finance that depends on your household income, we’ll ask your parents or partner for their National Insurance number and their personal income details.

When you apply for student finance you'll need to agree to our terms and conditions

3. Submit any evidence we ask for

We may contact you, or your parents/partner to ask for evidence to support your application. They can find out more information on how to provide evidence on

If you’ve had no contact with your parents for over a year, or you’ve been in the care of a local authority since the age of 16, you might be able to apply as an ‘independent student’.


Continuing students

To re-apply for student finance, sign into your student finance account and apply online as soon as possible to get some money in time for starting your course.

If you’re applying for the first time, you can do this online at



Proof of identity

UK nationals

If you don’t have a UK passport, you can upload a copy of your original UK birth or adoption certificate to your online account.


Non-UK and non-EU nationals

If you’re a non-UK and non-EU national, you'll need to send us your original passport or Home Office biometric residence permit card.

If we ask you to provide us with a Home Office share code we'll not need identity evidence.

You’ll also need to provide us with proof of your lawful residency status in the UK for the full 3 years prior to the start of your course. Your biometric residence permit card or proof of your visa stamped in your passport are both acceptable forms of evidence to prove your status. We’ll return your original documents using a secure method of post.

 It’s important to apply early and send us your evidence as soon as possible. We’ll return your evidence as soon as we’ve checked it so you don’t need to worry about being without your original documents for long.

Don't send your original documents to us if you’re due to travel within 8 weeks as we can’t guarantee they’ll be sent back in time. Instead, you should send the evidence when you return from travelling.


Proof of household income

If you’re applying for finance that depends on your household income, we’ll ask your parents or partner to give us their National Insurance numbers and details of their personal income.

We usually don’t to ask your parents or partner to provide evidence of their income once they’ve supported your application, we check their details with HRMC. We may contact your parents or partner to ask for evidence of their:

  • marital status – if they’re separated or divorced
  • income – if they’re living abroad or finalising their current year income assessment.

They should only send evidence if we've asked for it, as sending evidence we haven't asked for will cause delays to you getting your money.

Your parents or partner will need to give us financial details every year you apply for student finance. Check out our dedicated page to find out how they do this.

If their income is 15% lower than the previous tax year, they can submit an estimate of their financial details for the current tax year. Read our guide to find out how to do this and to download a Current Year Income application form.


Changing your details

If any of your details change after you’ve applied for student finance, don’t worry – you can simply update your application. Before the start of your course, you can use your online account to make changes to:

  • your choice of course
  • your choice of university or college
  • the amount of loan you’re applying for
  • your personal details

You can also use your online account to change your personal details once your course has started. But if there are any changes to your course, you should contact us and let your university or college know so they can tell us too.

If you don’t tell us about a change to your circumstances, you might end up being overpaid. In this case, you might have to start repaying earlier and before your income is over the repayment threshold.