The Student Room Group

Medicine Offers Discussion Thread 2012 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Jamal B
Good choices :L Last time I did hockey was in Year 8, hoping to get back into it. Fencing looks kinda fun I have to say.

In fact, everything looks kinda fun :biggrin: I think we'll all end up joining almost every single sport and then dropping out of most. heh.
Reply 241
Hey everyone

I'm having trouble trying to decide where to firm and was wondering if anyone would like to share some of their thoughts with me about each uni?

I thought I would be lucky enough to get one and never for one moment thought that I would have to make a decision. I'm really grateful for being in this position however I'm finding it difficult trying to decide.

I have offers from Aberdeen, Dundee and St Andrews. I love them all equally for different reasons and they each have their own drawbacks for me..

Anyone care to share what they think about them? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Jamal B
You have good taste, I wonder if you can mix and match colours on the same 'scope...

As do you :ahee: and hmm...
Reply 243
Original post by ViceVersa
As do you :ahee: and hmm...

Oooh, or maybe personalised prints! I know you can get covers but this would be better! *sighs* This is what TSR has reduced me to, getting excited about the colour or cover of a stethoscope...
Original post by Ergo
Ooh Aberdeen. Still deciding on whether to firm them or not! Agree with atomos, the waters must be coooolllllddd.

I'm considering doing a sport too. Probably badminton/basketball/hockey. Last time I did sports in school was when I was 11 :tongue:. So probably will belong to the unfit bunch as well.

Also planning to do some volunteering and drama :smile:

come to aberdeen :colone:

Original post by Jelton
Hey everyone

I'm having trouble trying to decide where to firm and was wondering if anyone would like to share some of their thoughts with me about each uni?

I am going to be biased towards aberdeen, because that's the uni i picked to go to :tongue: but here's some points:

dundee - course seems good, ninewells hospital is a great teaching hospital, the uni campus(although ninewells isnt near it) but everything else is all nice and close, and close to town centre.

st andrews - this could be viewed as a good or a bad thing, the whole moving after 3 years situation.
pros: experience two med schools, meet new people, consolidate learning at st andrews before moving on etc
cons: have to leave all your new friends after three years, could end up at a school you don't want to go to, have to make new friends etc.

aberdeen- the course sounds so so good. so many special features to it, the medical campus is lovely, modern etc one of the largest teaching hospital campuses in europe. medical humanities block would be an interesting 'break' from normal medicine, remote and rural option seems pretty interesting too, and the city is really nice.

i'm sure i could think of more for all of these, but there's just a quick summary of my thoughts any way, whether or not you agree with any of my points is up to you! good luck choosing, hopefully see you at aberdeen though :wink:
Original post by atomos
aberdeen has surfing? haha awesome

imagine how cold it will be though :zomg:

Original post by Ergo
Ooh Aberdeen. Still deciding on whether to firm them or not! Agree with atomos, the waters must be coooolllllddd.

I'm considering doing a sport too. Probably badminton/basketball/hockey. Last time I did sports in school was when I was 11 :tongue:. So probably will belong to the unfit bunch as well.

I've always wanted to learn how to surf! :awesome: And it can't be that much colder than the Atlantic...

Which universities do you have to choose between, Ergo?
Reply 246
Any BSMS offer holders? Firmers?
Reply 247
Original post by .eXe
Any BSMS offer holders? Firmers?

Tried seeing if they've got their own Facebook group as well?
Reply 248
Original post by Jamal B
Tried seeing if they've got their own Facebook group as well?

Yeah joined, but waiting for an admin to accept me :tongue:
Reply 249
Original post by Jelton
...St Andrews...

Anyone care to share what they think about them? Thank you :smile:

One thing to remember about St Andrews is that it's the only one with a six year course our of the three (unless you choose to intercalate with the others) and that it is a traditional course, so you've got the rigid pre-clinical/clinical divide (IIRC) So if patient contact is important for you, you'd probably prefer one of the other two more. Kudos for 3 offers by the way :smile:
Reply 250
Original post by .eXe
Yeah joined, but waiting for an admin to accept me :tongue:

Have you calmed down after Leeds yet? :tongue:
Reply 251
Original post by Jamal B
Have you calmed down after Leeds yet? :tongue:

Haha oh yeah, I was just upset that they were taking so long to reject me :tongue: I had no intentions of going there after seeing how irresponsible they are. As an international student I might need more assistance than most but I didn't really feel like that cared about their students. Although that may not be the case, I still was pissed haha.

All calmed now though :tongue:
Reply 252
Original post by CocaineSquirrel
x

Unrelated to medicine (unless you count anatomy of the ear at a stretch :tongue:) but I do like the sig and the avatar :cool:
Reply 253
Original post by Ergo

Haha, yep I'm joining the unfit crew...

Loads of things I've been meaning to look into - trampolining, contemporary dance, sign language, volunteering, teddy bear hospital, maybe some kind of dofe expeditions group (because I'm a nerd and I loved my expeditions)

I have no idea if Sheffield do any of those things...but I'm going to try!
Reply 254
Original post by atomos
come to aberdeen :colone:

Original post by CocaineSquirrel
I've always wanted to learn how to surf! :awesome: And it can't be that much colder than the Atlantic...

Which universities do you have to choose between, Ergo?

Still deciding between Aberdeen and Southampton at the moment. Aberdeen definitely has the more attractive course (community course, medical humanities *drools*), but location wise, I prefer Southampton (near london, easier to travel to other countries, nicer weather). I'm an international student and have never been to UK so I'm making my decisions based on internet information(!!) and parents' distant friend's opinion :rolleyes:.

So in your biased opinion which do you think I should choose? :colone:

Original post by twelve
Haha, yep I'm joining the unfit crew...

Loads of things I've been meaning to look into - trampolining, contemporary dance, sign language, volunteering, teddy bear hospital, maybe some kind of dofe expeditions group (because I'm a nerd and I loved my expeditions)

I have no idea if Sheffield do any of those things...but I'm going to try!

Sounds like a time to ravage through Sheffield's medsoc website :wink:. If Sheffield doesn't offer these things I'm sure there are opportunities to try it out on your own or even set up a society yourself!
Reply 255
Original post by Ergo
~

Hey if you want to know any more about aberdeen, i strongly suggest contacting toosexyformystethoscope. Trust me, his is the most objective and bias free (and realistic) opinion you will find on TSR and he is a 2nd year medic at aberdeen. Ill attach him to this post.

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
~

Any thoughts re: Ergo's post?
Original post by Jamal B
Unrelated to medicine (unless you count anatomy of the ear at a stretch :tongue:) but I do like the sig and the avatar :cool:

Thanks! You have good taste. :cool:
Original post by Ergo
Still deciding between Aberdeen and Southampton at the moment. Aberdeen definitely has the more attractive course (community course, medical humanities *drools*), but location wise, I prefer Southampton (near london, easier to travel to other countries, nicer weather). I'm an international student and have never been to UK so I'm making my decisions based on internet information(!!) and parents' distant friend's opinion :rolleyes:.

So in your biased opinion which do you think I should choose? :colone:

I know next to nothing about Southampton, so I'm afraid any information I do give will be rather biased. The course at Aberdeen really appeals to me too but, when I attended my interview, I was struck by how welcoming everybody was and I felt that I would really enjoy living there. I still had three university choices left at this point but Aberdeen suddenly became my first preference.

That's just my experience, but maybe you had similar feelings about one of your choices? Although the teaching methods is probably the most important deciding factor, I think it's also important to think about where you will be happiest living for the next 5+ years. Good luck deciding!
Reply 258
Original post by atomos

I am going to be biased towards aberdeen, because that's the uni i picked to go to :tongue: but here's some points:

haha not to worry, I think it will be impossible to find an unbiased opinion about schools when talking to med students!

Original post by atomos

dundee - course seems good, ninewells hospital is a great teaching hospital, the uni campus(although ninewells isnt near it) but everything else is all nice and close, and close to town centre.

yeah that's exactly what I've been thinking, plus it's a great place to be a student.. to be honest I think this is where I'll end up but I'm trying to keep an open mind right now whilst deciding!

Original post by atomos

st andrews - this could be viewed as a good or a bad thing, the whole moving after 3 years situation.
pros: experience two med schools, meet new people, consolidate learning at st andrews before moving on etc
cons: have to leave all your new friends after three years, could end up at a school you don't want to go to, have to make new friends etc.

Again, exactly my thoughts however I am in love with the university and the place, just not the whole idea of leaving behind friends that I've gotten to know then starting over again! But I love the whole student life there is at St Andrews but the clinical side bothers me, I don't know if I could hack having such little clinical contact for three years!

Original post by atomos

aberdeen- the course sounds so so good. so many special features to it, the medical campus is lovely, modern etc one of the largest teaching hospital campuses in europe. medical humanities block would be an interesting 'break' from normal medicine, remote and rural option seems pretty interesting too, and the city is really nice.

I also loooove Aberdeen, I think it's my favourite out of all three. The course, med school and uni itself are all pretty amazing and the one and only thing that puts me off is the distance from home - it's the furthest away from where I live. But when I went up, the people were so friendly - the friendliest I'd met when looking about unis and so were the staff.

Original post by atomos

i'm sure i could think of more for all of these, but there's just a quick summary of my thoughts any way, whether or not you agree with any of my points is up to you! good luck choosing, hopefully see you at aberdeen though :wink:

AHHH I just don't know!

Thank you for sharing your opinion with me though, I like to hear everyone's points before I make a decision! :smile:

PS and good luck at Aberdeen! miiiiight meet you there :wink: !!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 259
Original post by Jamal B
One thing to remember about St Andrews is that it's the only one with a six year course our of the three (unless you choose to intercalate with the others) and that it is a traditional course, so you've got the rigid pre-clinical/clinical divide (IIRC) So if patient contact is important for you, you'd probably prefer one of the other two more. Kudos for 3 offers by the way :smile:

Yeah I suppose you're right with that one! The town and facilities etc. are drawing me in though! ahh!

Where are you off to? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending