The Student Room Group

is there a stereotype of grammar school boys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by oli_G
You just answered my question with another question. :rolleyes:

What does age have to do with anything?

Do you think it's a meritocracy to allow children to sit exams when they're 16?

reductio ad absurdum

I don't think you understand what the term ''meritocracy'' means
Yes, we are all ridiculously good looking, being one myself I have to say I am irresistibly gorgeous (my face was genuinely carved by angels.....true story), we are also modest
I went to a grammar school, but I NEVER conformed to the stereotype and I am glad of it. I may not have acheived grade A's, but I'm proud of what I have acheived. I can see why people believe that there is a stereotype, but at the end of the day, not everybody who goes/went to a grammar school thinks that they're better than someone who goes to another school.
Reply 43
Original post by uprising23

Still think you're a tiny bit jealous though :wink:

Not really.

While I can't say i'm extremely happy at my school I think I would dislike the local private school more.

Please don't try and 'guess' my feelings when you don't know me. :indiff:
Original post by GStevens
At one school in Kingston some of the current teachers offer this coaching to those who can afford to pay and on the open evening there were various people handing out cards offering specific coaching. We met people there whose children were having coaching and weren't due to go for 2 years.

The school is concerned about the number of children who get in because of the coaching but are unable to sustain the level of work. Many drop out after an unhappy experience.

I'll declare an interest here, our own daughter passed the cut off but didn't score high enough to get in. For a short time we regretted not coaching her but her school has worked out really well for her.

People who receive coaching at my school were the ones who got kicked out at the end of AS. I went to a comprehensive from Year 7-11 then went to grammar school for sixth form, she could do that when the time comes, bright children will do well wherever they go. I moved to a grammar school because they tend to be more savy when it comes to university applications.
Reply 45
Original post by defuzion

Original post by defuzion
reductio ad absurdum

I don't think you understand what the term ''meritocracy'' means

Disagreement over whether something is, or is not, a meritocracy =/= misunderstanding the term.

I could flip the argument.

How would you determine who gets in to the grammar schools then?
By shaking a magic ball?
Reply 46
Original post by oli_G
Not really.

While I can't say i'm extremely happy at my school I think I would dislike the local private school more.

Why exactly? Too much guilt or something....
Reply 47

Why exactly? Too much guilt or something....

No, i'm an independent learner and I find the 'spoon-feed' nature of private schools would hinder my progress.

And, yes, even if I did want to go to a private school I wouldn't want to drag my family into financial problems to get me there.
Reply 48
Original post by oli_G
Disagreement over whether something is, or is not, a meritocracy =/= misunderstanding the term.

you're under the illusion of thinking primary school education corresponds to meritocracy disregarding all socio-economic factors that come into play. a very rudimentary understanding of society

How would you determine who gets in to the grammar schools then?
By shaking a magic ball?

I don't care how they get in; just don't call it meritocratic when it isn't.
People who want to go somewhere in life :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by oli_G
I'll say this again.

Grammar schools admit their students based on academic performance, not money. They generally have very intelligent students from all backgrounds. Private schools admit their students based on wealth. They then offer these kids a very good education leading to better than average performance in exams etc. Obviously you get different ability ranges in private schools, so you get a lot of very clever people, as you would in a comprehensive.

I disagree that students do not go to private school because they 'do not make the grade'. I appreciate a lot of private schools have high standards but from personal experience grammar schools surpass these standards, with limited funding.

And if you think i'm being biased i'll let you know that I have attended by grammar and private school and 'ordinary' schools.

I respect you and I don't like the way that other person looked down on grammar school kids, but you are wrong when you say private schools admit students based on wealth. Most of them do have entry requirements, and many of them require you to be extremely bright otherwise they won't let you in, even if you are very rich.
Reply 51
Original post by oli_G
No, i'm an independent learner and I find the 'spoon-feed' nature of private schools would hinder my progress.

And, yes, even if I did want to go to a private school I wouldn't want to drag my family into financial problems to get me there.

I've never been spoon-fed in my life...allowed to develop and think for myself and given help when I found something too tough yes...but never spoon-fed.
Reply 52
Original post by Koobideh

Original post by Koobideh
I respect you and I don't like the way that other person looked down on grammar school kids, but you are wrong when you say private schools admit students based on wealth. Most of them do have entry requirements, and many of them require you to be extremely bright otherwise they won't let you in, even if you are very rich.

Evidence?

From what i've seen most admit using the common entrance examination, which is hardly intellectually taxing.

At my old the school the headmaster at the local private school admitted the 11+ was a much more difficult test.

If private schools don't admit based on money why do they only admit the wealthy?

They're businesses. As long as they aren't admitting someone so bad it'll bring standards down I doubt they care that much.

I think 'extremely bright' is a huge overexageration. One of my best friends goes to Winchester (top public school) and he says there are loads of thick kids there.
Original post by oli_G
I'm saying that your achievements aren't achievements.

However who knows how well you would have done if you hadn't had all of the benefits that a good private school gives you.

I went to a prep school for two years and it gave me a lot of benefits. I sometimes feel guilty that I was given that advantage but I didn't have a say in the decision. I was 8-10 at the time and the decision was made for me.

I suspect you took no part in determining what school you went to as well so you're not to blame for having the advantages you have.

The private school person could only do what was expected of them, i.e. get good grades, and they did so (regardless of the type of school they went to)

That's such crap..so all the time I put in studying then...all for nothing...I'll remember that tommorrow and just lie in bed :wink:

I love how people like you are so morally superior...if you ever ran into trouble, your parents would send you back to the private system in a heart-beat...you're no different from me really...except I don't go around telling people their achievements aren't vaild...

Your achievements are valid
Reply 54

I've never been spoon-fed in my life...allowed to develop and think for myself and given help when I found something too tough yes...but never spoon-fed.

My friends who go to private school would say otherwise.

I don't know about your own experience as every school will be different :smile:

My school doesn't really care if you fail so I feel more free to educate myself as I please.
Reply 55
Original post by Tomatochuckers

Original post by Tomatochuckers
The private school person could only do what was expected of them, i.e. get good grades, and they did so (regardless of the type of school they went to)

I don't understand your argument.

Could you re-iterate those points?
Reply 56
Original post by oli_G
My friends who go to private school would say otherwise.

I don't know about your own experience as every school will be different :smile:

My school doesn't really care if you fail so I feel more free to educate myself as I please.

That's hardly a ringing endorsement...define what you mean exactly by spoon-feeding.

Because, to import a way of speaking you enjoy:

Good teaching =/= spoon feeding
Original post by oli_G

a) you've never been to private school so stop making assumptions
b) private school kids (especially those on bursaries and those considered smart) are in no way spoon fed at all, ever.

I have friends who were at private school due to parents, and who like me were on bursaries. I have friends who were at grammar schools from when I lived down south and went to one before my parents moved and I have friends who were at state schools. Not all but many of the grammar school ones have an incredible superiority complex over an exam they passed when they were 11 years old, which indicates that they are superior human beings than everyone else till the end of recorded time.
Reply 58

That's hardly a ringing endorsement

Meh, I like it that way

...define what you mean exactly by spoon-feeding.

From what i've seen, the teachers just tell you exactly what to do and organise everything for you. There's not much independent thinking.
This view comes from talking to people at private school.

At my school they don't tell you what work to do at home very often. You kinda have to work it out yourself.

Because, to import a way of speaking you enjoy:

Good teaching =/= spoon feeding

:lol:
Original post by oli_G
I don't understand your argument.

Could you re-iterate those points?

It's like in football. When team 'A' of 11 men beats team 'B' who had 10 men (due to a man sent off), some people may claim that team 'A' had it easy anyway, and their win isn't really impressive.The fact is, team 'A' could only beat what was put in front of them

In the same way, a private school student is given a set of exams. Whether they had a more privileged education or not, they can only try and get the best possible grades in these exams.

(Also, many private schools have average teaching. I see private schools as giving much better career advice compared to grammars, but in terms off teaching, their usually is not much difference from my experience)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending