The Student Room Group

Criminal Law Coursework Clarification

Hi all,

I'm not going to bother copy and pasting the entire question I just want to clarify something.

"Discuss the potential criminal liability of Bob and Terry under the
Offences Against the Person Act 1861 and under the Criminal Damage
Act 1971 as appropriate. "

Since common assault and battery are no longer under the OATPA would I start with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and mention that the mens rea is the same as for battery under the Criminal Justice Act?

Cheers.
Original post by JohnC2211
Hi all,

I'm not going to bother copy and pasting the entire question I just want to clarify something.

Since common assault and battery are no longer under the OATPA would I start with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and mention that the mens rea is the same as for battery under the Criminal Justice Act?

Cheers.

Sorry, what has the CJA got to do with it?
Reply 2
Original post by JohnC2211
Hi all,

Cheers.

there is no definition of mens rea of battery in the Criminal Justice Act, Criminal Justice Act simply makes intention, a form of mens rea, a question of fact which is to be decided by the jury, you don't need to write about the CJA at all.

Some offences in the OAPA require to establish the common law assault and battery in the first place, before the full offence in the OAPA can be established. If the common law assault and battery are required in the statute, you must establish them and then go and consider the other elements of the statute. But not all of the sections require common law assault and battery, if the section you need doesn't require this, analyse it straight without going to common law... is this clear?
Reply 3
Original post by vahik92
there is no definition of mens rea of battery in the Criminal Justice Act, Criminal Justice Act simply makes intention, a form of mens rea, a question of fact which is to be decided by the jury, you don't need to write about the CJA at all.

Some offences in the OAPA require to establish the common law assault and battery in the first place, before the full offence in the OAPA can be established. If the common law assault and battery are required in the statute, you must establish them and then go and consider the other elements of the statute. But not all of the sections require common law assault and battery, if the section you need doesn't require this, analyse it straight without going to common law... is this clear?

Yeah this is clear, thanks. I'm writing about section 47 and section 20 of OAPA.
Reply 4
Original post by vahik92

I have a quick question which is similar ..

If A hit D over the head with a steel pole after being chased for being a supporter of the opposition. A aimed for his shoulder but struck him on the head and he dies.
A was frightened the two men that chased him would attack him ..

Do you know of anything that would say A lacked the necessary intention/mens rea for murder????

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by F&A
I have a quick question which is similar ..

If A hit D over the head with a steel pole after being chased for being a supporter of the opposition. A aimed for his shoulder but struck him on the head and he dies.
A was frightened the two men that chased him would attack him ..

Do you know of anything that would say A lacked the necessary intention/mens rea for murder????

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:

The facts tell you expressly that A lacks neccessary intention/mens rea for murder - A aimed for D's shoulder (it would be logical to assume A didn't want to kill D but just make him stop chasing after him). in one sentence, you must say - there is no evidence showing that A wanted to kill D, A just wanted to hit D's shoulder, so murder is out of question. (P.S. you could also mention in one sentence that it seems that trying to hit D's shoulder does not by itself present a virtual certainty of death, so A does not fall into neither of the murder laws).

The question requires analysis of manslaughter - manslaughter by an unlawful act, in particular. Also, you must consider defences that A may have - self-defence? was A defending himself? did he use reasonable force to defend himself proportionate to the danger? this may well succeed because the "the force" A used was simply that of trying to hit D's shoulder, is this proportionate to the danger D presented?

The facts tell you there can't be a murder, you need to analyse manslaughter and defences - otherwise you won't get marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending