The Student Room Group

[deleted]

[deleted]
(edited 3 months ago)
I will guide you through
Original post by username3729415
hello, i have a practise assessment coming up and we have not been told how to write a law essay nor been given any examples and i am very confused. don’t want to plagiarise so i can’t post the topic on here (it’s constitutional) but was wondering if there are any high achieving students who would be willing to share an example essay or just explain the structure and how to reference (explain it in a way that someone with no experience can understand please)

i thought of potentially beginning a paragraph with a broad topic (i.e conventions) and then quoting an article or something (despite having done no extra reading? everyone is in the same boat tho luckily!) but was told that this is not how you do it and you start with a principle im so confused!!!

Hi there,

I am a third year law student. I would recommend looking online for any example essays etc. learning from their writing styles and structures may help (of course I do not mean to plagiarise the work).

There is no set structure to follow for law essays, though typically introduction, the main arguments, and then the conclusion. To follow such a structure, you would have to write a plan for your essay. This would mean writing down your argument, evidence, extra reading that support this etc. (it is really important to use case law/ legislation/ academic journals when writing your essays.) You do not have to do many extra reading, just really focus on understanding on one or two of these. The main argument/ body of the essay has to flow properly, so being able to link different evidences together is quite useful.

Usually for essay based coursework I find writing the introduction and conclusion last really helps. It allows you to see if you have gone off topic and if you have addressed the actual question being answered. The introduction should essentially be an brief summary of your argument and what sort of points you will be making.

For referencing, it depends on what type of style your University requires. (Whilst doing your research, I would recommend noting down any information you can get on the article: title/ author/ year of publication etc.) Personally I found online websites quite helpful for citations- however, always ensure to double check them as they may not be accurate.

I hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by username3729415
its 750 words…. I feel like it’s not enough to go into depth on all the points I have. It’s also a formative assessment so doesn’t go towards grade but I’m still really stressed about failing.

Also with PEEL, what is ‘evidence’? Is it academic commentary/quotes? Is it law? Do you have to be like ‘this is evident in case X, where the judgement is X’ etc?

Hi there

For shorter essays, I tend to go for more depth than breadth, though it really depends on what content you have studied so far. Base your essay off your studies so far and try to demonstrate the knowledge you have.

Evidence can include viewpoints/ quotes from academic journals (just make sure the source is trust worthy), you could include legislation or case law if it supports/ is relevant to your argument. There is usually no set way of adding evidence: ‘this is evident in case X, where the judgement is X’, as long as the essay and paragraphs flow I do not think it is too much of a problem.

Whilst it does not count towards the grade, I understand that you can be stressed about it. It is normal to feel this way, try your best to complete the essay (ensure you answer the question that is actually being asked), and you should do fine. This essay can be seen as a stepping stone, it allows you to reflect on what you have learn so far, and you will be able to build on any feedback that you receive.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by Tutor Mr Chris
I will guide you through

hi are you a tutor if so can you give me advice as im am studying criminal defence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending