The Student Room Group

University of law online pgdl

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice about doing the PGDL online? Further is the study flexible or is there still a structured timetable?

Thanks
Original post by Milomungry99
Hi,

Does anyone have any advice about doing the PGDL online? Further is the study flexible or is there still a structured timetable?

Thanks

Hi!

I am currently studying on the MA Law (conversion) at ULAW which is very similar to the PGDL :smile:. Although I study on-Campus, the course material is identical with the online course. I would say the most important thing is to manage your time well, the workload can be quite high but it is perfectly manageable if you stay organised! If you choose to study online, you will have access to the same materials and support as any on-Campus student so if you are looking for flexibility without compromising any other aspect of your study experience, the online course may be a great option for you! With the online course, all of the teaching is through online materials so you are able to study when and where it suits you. This means there is limited structure bar the timings of exams and coursework dates etc. so the entire course is very flexible.

I hope this helps!

Sophie :smile:
Reply 2
Hi Sophie, thanks for this info. Can I ask, what do you think the maximum number of hours is that one could reasonably work in a job and still do the online PGDL full time? If I were to put in a lot of self study between now and September to get "ahead of the curve", do you think it would be possible to work 3 days a week, and still do the full time PGDL? Thanks in advance - Dean
Original post by Milomungry99
Hi,

Thanks

Hi!
So at the University of Law our PGDL course is available online, we do have flexible study - you can choose to study the course full-time or part-time. Our course structure is that pre-course materials and study: English Legal System & Constitutional Law (including Retained EU Law) module requires 25 hours of pre-course study, through guided units with all materials provided online. You will learn the essentials of the key foundation areas of law that align to the Solicitors Regulation Authority specification of Functioning Legal Knowledge (FLK) for the SQE. In each area, you will develop a practical and functional understanding of the foundations of English & Welsh Law, and core analytical and practical legal skills. The modules you would study with us: English Legal System and Constitutional Law (including Retained EU Law), Tort Law, Contract Law, Criminal Law, Administrative Law and Human Rights, Land Law, Equity & Trusts, Law of Organisations, Skills and Behaviours. Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Hi, I just wanted to ask for the 2023/2024 GDL exams are they closed book or open book?
Thks ruby

Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi!
So at the University of Law our PGDL course is available online, we do have flexible study - you can choose to study the course full-time or part-time. Our course structure is that pre-course materials and study: English Legal System & Constitutional Law (including Retained EU Law) module requires 25 hours of pre-course study, through guided units with all materials provided online. You will learn the essentials of the key foundation areas of law that align to the Solicitors Regulation Authority specification of Functioning Legal Knowledge (FLK) for the SQE. In each area, you will develop a practical and functional understanding of the foundations of English & Welsh Law, and core analytical and practical legal skills. The modules you would study with us: English Legal System and Constitutional Law (including Retained EU Law), Tort Law, Contract Law, Criminal Law, Administrative Law and Human Rights, Land Law, Equity & Trusts, Law of Organisations, Skills and Behaviours. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Ruby---
Hi, I just wanted to ask for the 2023/2024 GDL exams are they closed book or open book?
Thks ruby

Hi @Ruby---

As it currently stands, the PGDL exams are open book. Of course, this could be subject to change but it is my understanding that for the 2023/2024 they will remain open book. What I will say, is that although they are open book, there is not much time to be checking notes so it doesn't help a lot in terms of reducing the workload when it comes to understanding the law and definitions etc. However, it does help with minimising the need to memorise lots of case names etc. as if you organise your notes well you will be able to flick to exactly the part you need to find said name. In terms of exams, you will have a SBAQ for each module which is a 45min ish multiple choice exam. Then you will either have a written exam, a coursework or an oral exam for each module. The courseworks are quite self-explanatory being either an essay question (approx. 2000 words) or being a problem question where you legally advise an individual on their case. Written exams comprise of two parts, the first part will likely be a problem question and has advanced documentation (this means the day before you are given part of the problem which involves details of deeds etc. which will allow you to partially guess the sort of question that may be asked of you), Part B of a written exam can either be essay or problem question and you will have the choice between two questions to do (this part is completely unseen). Oral exams will have advanced documentation (given a couple of weeks before the exam) and you will have to do a presentation to an examiner and then answer questions on another aspect of law studied on the module (this exam is around 45 mins). I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Reply 6
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi!

I am currently studying on the MA Law (conversion) at ULAW which is very similar to the PGDL :smile:. Although I study on-Campus, the course material is identical with the online course. I would say the most important thing is to manage your time well, the workload can be quite high but it is perfectly manageable if you stay organised! If you choose to study online, you will have access to the same materials and support as any on-Campus student so if you are looking for flexibility without compromising any other aspect of your study experience, the online course may be a great option for you! With the online course, all of the teaching is through online materials so you are able to study when and where it suits you. This means there is limited structure bar the timings of exams and coursework dates etc. so the entire course is very flexible.

I hope this helps!

Dear Sophie,

I am a student of the MA Law (SQE1) Online in the ULAW. May I know if it will be efficient and effective for us to study by attending the course on-campus, as the lecturer will highlight the main points to us in the class? Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Alves
Original post by alvesaisin
Dear Sophie,

I am a student of the MA Law (SQE1) Online in the ULAW. May I know if it will be efficient and effective for us to study by attending the course on-campus, as the lecturer will highlight the main points to us in the class? Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Alves

Hi @alvesaisin

Sorry for my late response, I somehow missed this!

It really depends on how you work best as a student. I personally really enjoyed attending on campus because I like to do things in person and be able to communicate with my peers face to face. However, I also have friends that have studied the courses online and have found it equally enjoyable and beneficial. Unfortunately, there is no real answer to your question other than you have to choose the option that is right for you and go with that. Whether online or in-person, you will get the same teaching and same materials 🙂

I hope this helps a bit!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending