The Student Room Group

Facebook Statuses about being "English and proud"

Scroll to see replies

Were the BBC really banned from saying Merry Christmas? Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong, but I'm sure I remember multiple programmes on the BBC ending with "Merry Christmas" and the like, and the announcers between programmes saying it as well.
I am sooo tempted to comment on the girl's facebook status but then I'll end up in an argument with the other 20 or so idiots that have 'liked' it. Worth it? lol
The work of uneducated, asinine Sun readers, clogging up our newsfeeds. Facebook has become a breeding ground for such idiocies, unfortunately.
Reply 43
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
I am sooo tempted to comment on the girl's facebook status but then I'll end up in an argument with the other 20 or so idiots that have 'liked' it. Worth it? lol

I want to do this too, but it's a shame, because most of the girls who post these statuses are the ones most likely to punch me in the face.

Gutted :frown:
Original post by Ra Ra

Original post by Ra Ra
I want to do this too, but it's a shame, because most of the girls who post these statuses are the ones most likely to punch me in the face.

HAHAHA this made me laugh hard because it is so true...these girls are the type to start a fight because they seem to be incapable of using their brains. However last time I did it another person backed me up and I made the status maker look like a fool :smile: So go for it! :P - just be polite so they have no reason to be rude back
Reply 45
Original post by FunkeyMunkey

Original post by Ra Ra

Please do this! And print screen it and post to this thread (obviously blur out the names)
I will give you a virtual hug if you do this!

EDIT: Actually on second thoughts if it's going to get you punched in the face, it's not worth it
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Planar
The Irish are so proud of their nationality that they can parody it and people still think they're patriotic. Makes for much better reading: "Why wasn't Jesus born in Derry? Because they couldn't find three wise men and a virgin." etc. etc.

LOOOOL

(I'm of Irish origin so I'm allowed to laugh at that :tongue:)
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
do they even have computers in scotland?

ZZZZZING!!!!

No, we're all typing on iPhones, clearly :wink:

ZZZZZING!!!!

Oh dear :tongue:
Reply 49
Original post by a rusH
Please do this! And print screen it and post to this thread (obviously blur out the names)
I will give you a virtual hug if you do this!

EDIT: Actually on second thoughts if it's going to get you punched in the face, it's not worth it

I don't know about print screen - how about a nice big photo of my two black eyes? :cool:

Nah, I'm too much of a wuss. I will, however, actively sponser anyone willing to take on the forces of evil. Any takers?
Reply 50

ZZZZZING!!!!

They do. And they have shift keys and caps lock keyes on the keyboards and evryfink
Reply 51
What scares me is that a lot of the people who post these statuses on my friends list intends to fight on the front line in the army. They could potentially go to a middle eastern country with views similar to the person in the OP's comment. Maybe it's all talk though to get more likes..
Reply 52
Statuses where you are stating your pride to be English are absoloutely fine. This one, which attacks others and lies, is not.
Here's the version I've seen:
WHAT A CROCK OF ****..... We can't say Merry Christmas now we have to say Happy Holidays. We can't call it a Christmas tree, it's now called a Holiday tree? Because it might offend someone. If you don't ike our "Customs" and it offends you so much then LEAVE I will help you pack. They are called customs and we have our traditions If you... agree with this...please post this as your status!! I AM A PROUD ENGLISH CITIZEN... MERRY FLIPPIN CHRISTMAS Do you have what it takes to repost this??

:rolleyes: This one is actually a bit harder to criticise, because there are no outright lies or mistakes. That main problem is the fact that there is no clear origin of the whole 'now we are banned from saying merry christmas'. Obviously someone, somewhere got it into their heads that this wasn't allowed (wherever they got it from), and it's spread across facebook somehow, with people so desperate to rant and rave about anything available that they don't even bother to check if it's true or where it comes from. :rant:
This is what I've commented:
‎...According to who, is this now 'banned'?

Thought I'd start non-confrontational, seeing as I'm not close to the person in question. :tongue:
I think the lessons here are:

and..

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by venenecinema

RunDMC
I see nothing wrong with it, In fact I have one on my Facebook which is 10x more offensive, 10 likes in 2 mins..... Straight baws.

We aren't aiming it at Muslims, We're aiming it at anyone who disagrees with us.

10 likes in 2 minutes? 10x more offensive?

Original post by DirtyPrettyThing

Spoiler

Looking at my facebook feed it seems like a lot of kids are being tought/spoon fed a misguided sense of patriotism that involves putting down anything other than what they know, rather than accepting cultural variances. Which makes me a bit sad. ;(
Reply 58
Original post by a rusH
It's just really upsetting to see that this is what some people are actually believing now. I hate it :angry:

Your sort is the reason there is so many problems in this country.
Original post by a rusH
I was on Facebook this afternoon and somebody posted this status:

Other people copied and pasted the same sort of thing and posted it too.

Reading that made me angry. There are soo many errors in this statement! And I hate the stereotyping and subtle connotations of Muslims made throughout it all. Give them a break!

1. Poppies weren't disallowed on the football pitch because they were "racist" but because Fifa thought it would "jeapordise the neutrality of Football"- if they were allowed to wear poppies, it would bring in other teams from all over the world requesting to do similar things. Yes, it's annoying that they weren't allowed, I wear a poppy every year without fail to remember the fallen heroes who served our country, but the rules are the rules and Fifa have a point.
This is explained in an article by the Telegraph.

2. It was raised a few years ago that it was politically incorrect to say "Merry Christmas" because not everybody who lives in England celebrates Christmas any more. Not because it is "racist"! (I believe it's stupid it's seen as "politically incorrect" but nowadays it's hard to say anything without offending some pedantic killjoy). Fair enough if the BBC were banned from saying it on television just to keep the nation happy but nothing is stopping anybody from saying it to their friends and family. This isn't the fault of the Muslims- what about all of the Atheists and Jews and Sikhs and Hindus and all the other religions that have a population in the UK?

3. Of course it's not racist to celebrate Eid- wtf its this idiot on about!! If people can celebrate Christmas then why can't anybody celebrate Eid?? Or Diwali or Hannukah etc etc for that matter?? Just because the BBC don't tend to wish people a Merry Christmas any more, it doesn't mean that it's not allowed to be celebrated! Why should people not be allowed to celebrate Eid?

4. Yeah okay it's totally out of order to burn the St George's cross and those people are horrible. But the people that do that are extremists and have twisted views on England. That does not mean that all Muslims are like that! Way to stereotype.

5. Take over our country? TAKE OVER OUR COUNTRY? In what way are Muslims taking over the country? Just because there are Muslims that live in England, it doesn't mean that they are taking over the country. What sort of country would we be if we weren't tolerant of other religions and cultures sharing our community?

6. Pakistan? :rofl:

7. English rights... English and proud. I am sure that there are hundreds of English people that are Muslim converts! Does that automatically mean that they should go to Pakistan because they are Muslim? And that they don't belong in the country they originate from, the country that their family and loved ones are from?

This person is retarded. I really wanted to comment on the status but I don't like to cause arguments online on Facebook and to stop myself from causing trouble I deleted the person from my friend list, and decided to have a TSR rant.

For somebody that tries to make out they know what being racist is, the whole status was pretty racist itself.

I hate the flack that Muslims (and even just foreign people who aren't Muslims) get because of how the media portrays them. I know tons of Muslims that are perfectly friendly. I'm friends with Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and Atheists and every single one of them are good people regardless of their religion and what the media say, and they all get along with each other. Even if I don't agree with the religious belief of another person it doesn't mean that I should label them and stereotype them. They're still people. Human beings just like you or I.

Has anybody else been reading statuses like this that make you want to slap the person into another nationality?

/rant

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending