The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do so many people hate 'chavs'?

The amount of threads and comments I see on here slagging off 'chavs' is appalling! Does it not occur to you that its a form of discrimination? If I made a thread having a go at middle-class people or 'Rahs' there would be outrage. I cant believe nobody mentions this!

In my experience I see a lot of middle-class and posh students coming over here wanting to be 'bad', thinking they're 'gangster' etc. They even try and put on the 'street' accent! Which I find quite hilarious however isn't this quite hypocritical? Wanting to be the thing you apparently hate?

I was on the bus the other day and then there were a group of kids at the back. They seemed like they were a bit rough, working-class etc. Anyway a group of students who seemed a bit posh came on the bus acting leery and started trying to fist-bump and act all friendly with the group at the back. However as soon as the group got off the bus I heard the students slagging them off saying things like 'Go back to the job centre' :rolleyes:

It seems like there's so much hate for 'chavs' (hate that word btw) when others don't act too different from who they're slagging off. I think the word 'chav' is just a classist term made up by the middle-class and elitist scum.

EDIT: I made this thread with the intent of pointing out that a lot of people think working class people are 'chavs' just by the way they dress or the way they speak and I dont agree with it. I am working class I guess and a lot of people mainly middle-class/posh people (and students) dismiss me because of the way I speak (I have a strong Manchester accent) and I have been called a chav. However I must admit I did word it differently and there has been some misunderstanding. Neg rep me all you want but I still stand by my point.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
but... i thought everyone hated Rahs?
Original post by MancBoy
The amount of threads and comments I see on here slagging off 'chavs' is appalling! Does it not occur to you that its a form of discrimination? If I made a thread having a go at middle-class people or 'Rahs' there would be outrage. I cant believe nobody mentions this!

In my experience I see a lot of middle-class and posh students coming over here wanting to be 'bad', thinking they're 'gangster' etc. They even try and put on the 'street' accent! Which I find quite hilarious however isn't this quite hypocritical? Wanting to be the thing you apparently hate?

I was on the bus the other day and then there were a group of kids at the back. They seemed like they were a bit rough, working-class etc. Anyway a group of students who seemed a bit posh came on the bus acting leery and started trying to fist-bump and act all friendly with the group at the back. However as soon as the group got off the bus I heard the students slagging them off saying things like 'Go back to the job centre' :rolleyes:

It seems like there's so much hate for 'chavs' (hate that word btw) when others don't act too different from who they're slagging off. I think the word 'chav' is just a classist term made up by the middle-class and elitist scum.

I think some people are too quick to call people 'chavs' or 'neds' and that is quite unfair and it is those people who are quite often upper/middle class that go around labelling people 'chavs' and 'neds' are usually just very boring and literally anything anyone else does that is mildly fun or 'dangerous' then could annoyed at.

But there are genuine cases of proper chavs etc. that are actually *****. I guess the term is subjective.
Reply 3
OP is just bitter and is having trouble to find something to rant about

why, i look down on chavs... it may not be right and yeah it may be discrimination but i don't really care because i have never ever seen a chav that doesn't deserve it.

by the way being stupid/mildly racist at a minimum/jeremey kyle potential/rude/gobby/general d*ck/chav appearance is what make you a chav rather than someone who just can't afford nicer looking clothes etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Rahs are annoying -especilly when their drunk.and on a tube train or bus But chavs are the pits, anyone that has ever experienced their appalling behaviour, dumbed down intellect and criminal tendancies and will know that.
When one discovers a cure for a major disease or makes a ground breaking engineering discovery then i will start accruing some respect for them
Original post by lubus

I guess winning the Europa League wasn't what United fans meant when they said they wanted European silverware.
Reply 7
I just lul at the fact most of the stuck up kids on this site have no idea what a real chav is.

Oh.. you have 13 year olds drinking cider on your street corner and move out the way when you walk past? OH HOW I FEEL FOR YOU.
Reply 8
Original post by lubus

Of all the pictures you put the one of the goal?

Meh, 1/10 for effort.
Reply 9
Original post by Tommyjw
I just lul at the fact most of the stuck up kids on this site have no idea what a real chav is.

Oh.. you have 13 year olds drinking cider on your street corner and move out the way when you walk past? OH HOW I FEEL FOR YOU.

Pretty much this.
Because its not classist. In fact, the most insulting thing to the working classes in this thread is you suggesting that working class = chav.

Chavs are people who dress horribly, are aggressive, swear, and are over-violent. I live in a middle-class area, and most of the chavs I know of are middle class.

Chavs are not genetically predisposed to being chavs - it's a choice they choose to make, and a choice they are (rightfully) vilified for.
Reply 11
dunkno
Reply 12
Original post by Maddog Jones

Chavs are not genetically predisposed to being chavs - it's a choice they choose to make, and a choice they are (rightfully) vilified for.

Not strictly true.

Environmental factors can have a massive effect on a child.
Reply 13
Original post by MancBoy

This is a student forum, populated mostly by those who are at university or expect to get there in the near future. In broad terms this means that it is a middle class forum, and of all the prejudices that appear, middle class prejudices will, reasonably enough, dominate. In the long history of class antagonism it has been routine for the middle class to look down on those who fall short of their own economic, social and cultural values. This more or less explains why there are so many threads and comments about 'Chavs' (variously used as a substitute for the working class, the underclass or any suitable individual who can be smugly looked down on and ridiculed or despised).
Reply 14
Because its not classist. In fact, the most insulting thing to the working classes in this thread is you suggesting that working class = chav.

THIS.
They are easy to hate, I dislike anyone who is up their own arse.

Chavs are people who dress horribly, are aggressive, swear, and are over-violent. I live in a middle-class area, and most of the chavs I know of are middle class.

Sorry, but black gang members are not chavs. They do not **** about. Yes they fit YOUR criteria, but black people can't be chavs, it's a white thing.
Reply 17

Exactly. Chavs just made terrible life choices, resent themselves for it and so act "hard" to compensate.
Reply 18

Chavs are people who dress horribly...

And dressing 'horribly' consists of....?
I like people who mind their own business and leave me to it, and people who are nice to me, and if a chav does that that'd include them

Latest

Trending

Trending