The Student Room Group

Christopher Hitchens has died

Scroll to see replies

But an even more wonderful writer. It's a shame people are too lazy to read now.
Original post by Retrodiction
Mostly? His career spanned decades before his focus shifted to religion... I'm genuinely embarrassed that so many people think his main contributions to the world of writing have been on religion.

Or perhaps it's because he's best known to us for his ardent criticism of religion, which has been his public hobby for the past 15 years or so, i.e. most of the lifetime of most of the members of TSR.

It's hard not to be aware of his legacy beyond his work on religion.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Or perhaps it's because he's best known to us for his ardent criticism of religion, which has been his public hobby for the past 15 years or so, i.e. most of the lifetime of most of the members of TSR.

It's hard not to be aware of his legacy beyond his work on religion.

Sure, but to summarise a biography of him as a polemicist whose main focus has been religion is to either show ignorance or be deceptive.
The world is a dumber place without him. RIP
Never was a massive fan of the man, but I was certainly interested by him.

RIP

Mostly? His career spanned decades before his focus shifted to religion... I'm genuinely embarrassed that so many people think his main contributions to the world of writing have been on religion.
You're taking this a tad too personally, dear. Chill.
Original post by Jackal The
You're taking this a tad too personally, dear. Chill.

tell it how it is brah
Damn, I didn't even know he was sick. :frown: I didn't keep up to date with him and his work but I really respect him and loved his book 'God is not great' and watching him debate. What a loss. RIP
Reply 49
Hitchens. A contrarian and freethinker until the end. He left no one untouched...from Mother Teresa to Bill Clinton and Henry Kissinger. A fantastic orator, extremely well-read and a sharp wit...It's a sad, sad loss.

We need more people that go out of their way to challenge the "false refuge of consensus" he has referred to and warned against seeking.

Rest in peace!
One of the brightest minds this world has ever seen has passed away. Remember him well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7NLc5XLRsA
Reply 51
no. he was a great speaker but what he said against religion was wrong. he denied god and god will, unfortunately, deny him.
Reply 52
I'm coming across so many good quotes from him!

On Reagan: "He's doing to the country what he can no longer do to his wife."
On a TV evangelist: "If you gave him an enema you could bury him in a matchbox."
Ah, the compassion of the religious, ever so Christian, never so Christlike.
I may have supported his anti-religiousness but, whatever your opinion on it, you have to admire the courage of his convictions. He only said what he thought was right and, if we had more people around today like that (namely in politics), the world would be a better place.
Original post by Nirvana
no. he was a great speaker but what he said against religion was wrong. he denied god and god will, unfortunately, deny him.

I wish you people would cut this **** out.
Reply 56
Original post by FrigidSymphony
One of the brightest minds this world has ever seen has passed away. Remember him well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7NLc5XLRsA

Hardly.

Sorry. Neg rep all you want children but to frankly to call Hitchens "one of the brightest minds this world has ever seen" is ****in idiotic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sad news. :frown: Was a bit surprised to hear it despite knowing he had terminal cancer; found out here first and then had to go and check out the atheist blogosphere to make absolutely sure.

Unfortunately don't have any Johnny Walker Black Label but will drink to him later. To Hitch. :beer:
Reply 58
I've been dreading this day for a long time.

RIP.
Such a bright mind whose memory won't be forgotten.

Good night, sweet prince :'(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending