The Student Room Group

Drama School Audition - Monologue suggestions

My 14 year old son has an audition for a drama school to start at age 14, and has been asked to prepare a speech from a modern play written after 1956.
Does anyone have any suggestions for preferable a comedic speech, or dramatic one, with perhaps some movement around the stage that would be suitable for a 14 year old?
The drama school have requested that it can not be over 1.5 minutes long.
We are currently searching the internet but not really coming up with anything.
If you don't have specific suggestions, then please feel free to mention any websites that might be useful (preferably where you can get the speech for free!)
Thanks so much
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by NPick
My 14 year old son has an audition for a drama school to start at age 14, and has been asked to prepare a speech from a modern play written after 1956.
Does anyone have any suggestions for preferable a comedic speech, or dramatic one, with perhaps some movement around the stage that would be suitable for a 14 year old?
The drama school have requested that it can not be over 1.5 minutes long.
We are currently searching the internet but not really coming up with anything.
If you don't have specific suggestions, then please feel free to mention any websites that might be useful (preferably where you can get the speech for free!)
Thanks so much

I am sure everyone has their opinions but here is some advice I have been given for audition monologues from drama schools and directors, which I have found successful:

Choose from a play you have watched or are familiar with, so that you can understand your character and represent them accurately and within context.

Choose a character that fits you, so people can imagine him playing that part. E.g. King Lear is an old man, people would have fight to ignore the fact that he is 14.

Age appropriate and inoffensive. E.g. one boy did a scene that was being sexually aggressive towards a girl (in the monologue). The response from the panel was not good and they did not get a recall.

Avoid non-humans, like Puck because of the excessive movement distracts from monologue.

Some plays with youngish male characters you may have seen or wish to consider (these are ones I am familiar with but you.may have others):
Modern

Boy (Ocean at the End of the Lane)

Christopher (The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night)

Albus, Scorpius etc (HP & Cursed Child)

If he needs classical pieces, these may be of interest:

Romeo, Benvolio, even Mercrutio (R&J)

Sebastian (Twelfth Night)

The key thing is to understand his character so that he can make him believable.

Good luck!
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending