The Student Room Group

Christopher Hitchens has died

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Oh no. :frown: That's so sad. I think this'll take a while to sink in...
Reply 61
did anyone even hear dawkins @ the Texas thing... it sounded like stand up comedy, not a eulogy
Reply 62
All he's associated with is being anti-religion. He's in for a huge surprise now he's dead...
Original post by SMEGGGY
All he's associated with is being anti-religion. He's in for a huge surprise now he's dead...

Reply 64
Original post by Craig_D
I've been dreading this day for a long time.

RIP.

Me too. :frown:
Watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7NLc5XLRsA made me choke up severely, and reading the tributes from people like Ian McEwan and Salman Rushdie actually made me cry. He was a brilliant, brilliant man, and the world is much darker for his absence.
Goodnight, sweet prince.
Sad news.
Reply 68
Original post by Nirvana
no. he was a great speaker but what he said against religion was wrong. he denied god and god will, unfortunately, deny him.

So it is not true then :hmmmm:

RIP to him. I'll bet if there really is a god, he's just given him a Hitchslap for not proving his existence properly.
Reply 70
Original post by Mr Sparkles
Well he's burning in hell right now that's for sure. Massive **** if ever there was one.
Of course RIP and all that.

Rest in Peace
Burn in Hell

?
Reply 71
With Hitchens gone there are some big boots to fill on the Atheist debating circuit :frown:
Reply 72
:frown: So sad.
rip christopher hitchens :frown:. the world has lost such an excellent writer and public speaker.

xoxo
When I heard about his death this morning my mood completely shifted. His writings and speeches were such a huge influence on me during those most tumultuous teenage years, the years in which I was "tentatively feeling my way into the life of the freethinker" in the words of Dawkins, and served as a brilliant rebuttal to the dogma I was being fed in Catholic school. I had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Hitchens at the "Great God Debate" last year here in Boston and in retrospect, I'm glad I had that opportunity before his untimely, yet nonetheless inevitable demise.
(edited 12 years ago)
I just reading some comments on it on the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16212418). Funny how a lot of religious people just seem to be so glad about this. It really shows they actually aren't more moral than the rest of us.
Reply 76
Original post by The Socktor
I just reading some comments on it on the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16212418). Funny how a lot of religious people just seem to be so glad about this. It really shows they actually aren't more moral than the rest of us.

I feel sad for him. He clearly was not at peace with himself, and struggled, (as all atheists inevitably do) to find meaning and purpose -witness his alcoholism in an attempt to fill the emptiness and this probably contributed to the onset of his cancer. Sad, because those who have so aggressively rejected God's kingdom in this age, cannot hope to enter it in the age to come.

If only he had become a Christian. How sad.

Now Mr Hitchens knows that God exists.

As a Christian editor of many works, I realize Christopher Hitchens may have fought God, but God is still alive and he is not.

Perhaps if he believed, he may have lived longer than his 62 years to continue to regale us with his biting wit and his unique point of view.

:rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jackal The
You're taking this a tad too personally, dear. Chill.

Not really, it's just a tad pathetic that people who clearly know nothing about him are pretending to care that he died.
Reply 78
Original post by Retrodiction
Mostly? His career spanned decades before his focus shifted to religion... I'm genuinely embarrassed that so many people think his main contributions to the world of writing have been on religion.

I wasn't talking about his writing..
Original post by LeeC
I wasn't talking about his writing..

So you're asked what he stands for, yet you choose to ignore the writing he has created over the last 30 years on politics and social issues and instead go for religion, something which he has barely written on at all. In fact, you choose to go for only the stuff seen in his videos... you're probably one of these people too lazy to read anything so you just watch videos.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending