The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViceVersa
Know how you feel about the bathroom thing... getting increasingly uncomfortable with my brothers and father using it. :console:

yer, ive kind of had to accept mum will use the bathroom...

i may have to have a talk with mum about it when she comes back from seeing grandparents...

i just find it increasingly harder to be touched by strangers. i find it slightly hard even with my boyfriend - but i know he washes every day and is really good with hand washing etc... so its not that bad...

dont you hate it how you cant just walk down stairs? or just walk through a door? i have to put a certain foot down etc... its just annoying. :frown:
Reply 981
Original post by megfashion
yer, ive kind of had to accept mum will use the bathroom...

i may have to have a talk with mum about it when she comes back from seeing grandparents...

i just find it increasingly harder to be touched by strangers. i find it slightly hard even with my boyfriend - but i know he washes every day and is really good with hand washing etc... so its not that bad...

I know the feeling, I just try to push it to the back of my mind but it's freaky if a stranger tried to do something like shake my hands....
I'm very glad we have this thread, it's nice to feel less alone. :smile:
We've reached 1000 posts! :rave:

Same :console: Hand washing a bit better, but now we're having out kitchen revonated it's one of the worst possible scenarios for me - no sink downstairs to wash hands except the toilet, my mother says we'll have to wash our dishes in the bathroom, no washing machine or dish washer, it's just horrible atm trying to cope without a kitchen.

Basically because our kitchen is being renovated it's upside down and we can't do anything and essentially now have our microwave next to our TV in the living room, the kettle on the floor next to the pile of DVDs we have, and out tea, coffee, sugar, bottled water, kitchen towels, glasses all on a table next to that. And then in the far corner we have boxes with all our plates and spoons. I thought it'd be like a few days but this is for a whole week, not sure how we're supposed to cope and live... plus we can't cook or use a dish washer or washing machine and have to wash our dishes in the bathroom (my mum claims this is normal but obv not!), and I only ate once yesterday because the whole thing is uncomfortable etc, and my mum doesn't want to ask neighbours to help out :sigh:

Wanna talk about the problems you're having? :console:

Ouch that does sound stressful, there's always those moments when it just gets significantly worse. Just panicking about my shoes being dirty, not wanting to use school toilets and even at one point I didn't want to leave the house. Hope it gets better soon, I guess all we can do is keep strong? Thankyou guys for being here, I love you all!
Ive started feeling like that too. I cant go to loos at school, that is just a nogo... Unless i have forgotten to take my 7.50am loo break at home and i am literally dying... Haha

I just cant sleep now... Our sockets turned off coz of the fuse with a bang, so i woke up... N my 'brother' was in MY bathroom.

Well ok... THe girls bathroom. We have a girls bathroom and a boys bathroom (we sound rich, we really arent haha)

I cant wash now to make my OCD better... Its contaminated with him now....

I should probably say that my 'brother' and i havent talked for years... So he is jst a stranger to me.. A STRANGER... In MY bathroom... I cant take it!!!!

Its tiny less so now coz dad went into my bathroom afterwards... So idk its like i know some of the germs are gone (he is a clean freak so i know he would clean something if it was dirty)... So i know some of the contamination is gone...

Idk how this feeling could be any worse though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg :frown: I know what you mean. I share my bathroom with my brother so I guess it's not too bad but I do worry about germs and contamination tons when I go to the loo.
Reply 984
Original post by VaticanCameos
I'm very glad we have this thread, it's nice to feel less alone. :smile:

Ouch that does sound stressful, there's always those moments when it just gets significantly worse. Just panicking about my shoes being dirty, not wanting to use school toilets and even at one point I didn't want to leave the house. Hope it gets better soon, I guess all we can do is keep strong? Thankyou guys for being here, I love you all!

:five:

Yeah exactly. :sadnod: I've been through all that, it can be really hard :sadnod: :hugs: Yep definitely keep strong and don't give up and we're all here for you :suith:
Who has severe OCD ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 986
Unwatching this. I wish you all the very best though. Good luck with everything, all of you.
Reply 987
Okay slightly freaking out over something and need help please.. I'm starting my practical driving lessons in two days, was meant to start it today but I cancelled it because I'm freaking out. On top of the general germ fear related things to do with cars (like holding door handles etc), I'm worrying about holding the steering wheel too. The car isn't mine and is one used to teach lots of students, I don't know how many students would have used the car, and all would have held the same car steering wheel and some of them definitely/probably didn't wash their hands all the time, or they had sweaty hands, or maybe even put their hands down their trousers before the lesson or maybe even itched their skin and hair and then put their hands back on the steering wheel or maybe eat lunch or something and then put their hands on the wheel after and maybe even picked their nose or something... or maybe their hands were clean but will obviously still have some germs... gosh just the thought of going into the car and grabbing the steering wheel is making me panic big time if you can't already tell. Soo.. what should I do? :frown: I mean I don't know if I'll be allowed to wear gloves and if I am my driving instructor will think I'm so weird and will probably be offended eurgh. :sad:
Okay slightly freaking out over something and need help please.. I'm starting my practical driving lessons in two days, was meant to start it today but I cancelled it because I'm freaking out. On top of the general germ fear related things to do with cars (like holding door handles etc), I'm worrying about holding the steering wheel too. The car isn't mine and is one used to teach lots of students, I don't know how many students would have used the car, and all would have held the same car steering wheel and some of them definitely/probably didn't wash their hands all the time, or they had sweaty hands, or maybe even put their hands down their trousers before the lesson or maybe even itched their skin and hair and then put their hands back on the steering wheel or maybe eat lunch or something and then put their hands on the wheel after and maybe even picked their nose or something... or maybe their hands were clean but will obviously still have some germs... gosh just the thought of going into the car and grabbing the steering wheel is making me panic big time if you can't already tell. Soo.. what should I do? :frown: I mean I don't know if I'll be allowed to wear gloves and if I am my driving instructor will think I'm so weird and will probably be offended eurgh. :sad:

i told my instructor about my anxiety (didnt know it was OCD at the time)... he was very sympathetic and went at my pace, and he understood if i had to be more careful on the road or take a step back for a while

you could... 1. risk it and put gloves on and sayyou are cold

or

2. explain to him that the anxiety of your test coming up, which is making OCD worse for you, so would he mind letting you just quickly wipe the steering wheel and gear stick and handbrake just once before going into the car

a good, professional car instructor should understand :smile:

i know its hard to come out about the OCD n stuff... but i treated my instructor as if he were my counsellor in this case and just told him when i had anxiety etc...

all the best x
Reply 989
i told my instructor about my anxiety (didnt know it was OCD at the time)... he was very sympathetic and went at my pace, and he understood if i had to be more careful on the road or take a step back for a while

you could... 1. risk it and put gloves on and sayyou are cold

or

2. explain to him that the anxiety of your test coming up, which is making OCD worse for you, so would he mind letting you just quickly wipe the steering wheel and gear stick and handbrake just once before going into the car

a good, professional car instructor should understand :smile:

i know its hard to come out about the OCD n stuff... but i treated my instructor as if he were my counsellor in this case and just told him when i had anxiety etc...

all the best x

Thanks for the great advice! I've calmed down a little now :colondollar:

I spoke to him today and told him I had OCD and his response was "What's OCD" :facepalm2: I was like "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" and he was like "Oh is that like when you have to have things a certain way?" so I just gave up and briefly explained the germ issue and he just said whenever I have a problem I should come to him and tell him about it. He said I can wear gloves if I absolutely must but I've decided to not be silly and just see how it goes, and it helped that he says the AA change their cars every few months and so this car he only just got on Christmas... so I'll just stop being silly and brave it and use a sanitiser before and after (put my sleeves up so my clothes doesn't touch anything) I enter the car/do the lesson. Hopefully it goes well. :crossedf:
Guys I don't know if this will help but my friend told me about using "Don't Break The Chain" for my OCD. Here's the link: http://karenkavett.com/dont_break_chain_2013/calendar_2013.pdf

Basically the activity is "OCD" and every time I go against my OCD (at least once a day) I put a cross on the day and it motivates me to not break the chain so I have to continue beating my OCD. :smile:
Welcome :h: Now you're starting to understand, are you learning to cope with it more? Did you ever get annoyed with them sometimes? Hopefully this thread can better help you understand even more :hugs:

I have rumination OCD /intrusive thoughts so nothing like being scared of germs or cleaning etc
I just have a mind that doesn't stop replaying stuff/thoughts over and over, the intrusive thoughts are scary - they are like 'flashbacks' or 'flash forwards' that ill crash my car or someone will attack me- results in me becoming quite anxious!
Reply 992
Sorry for the late reply guys, hope everyone's been well, things are calming down on my front. :smile:

Guys I don't know if this will help but my friend told me about using "Don't Break The Chain" for my OCD. Here's the link: http://karenkavett.com/dont_break_chain_2013/calendar_2013.pdf

Basically the activity is "OCD" and every time I go against my OCD (at least once a day) I put a cross on the day and it motivates me to not break the chain so I have to continue beating my OCD. :smile:

Late reply buy just wanted to say this is amazing and seems like it'll be very helpful, thanks! And thanks to your friend too! :h:

Original post by Holamigo
I have rumination OCD /intrusive thoughts so nothing like being scared of germs or cleaning etc
I just have a mind that doesn't stop replaying stuff/thoughts over and over, the intrusive thoughts are scary - they are like 'flashbacks' or 'flash forwards' that ill crash my car or someone will attack me- results in me becoming quite anxious!

I have that too, part of why I reread and rewatch things so often, and replay conversations etc, but they're the latter is always about stuff that's happened to me already, not flash forwards like I'll crash my car atm, although I do generally have a fear of the future and growing old and bad things happening etc. :sadnod: It must suck what you go through :hugs:
I just wondered what's everyone's thoughts on Obsessive Compulsive Cleaner's? I need to watch it yet but it seems to be causing controversy.

Late reply buy just wanted to say this is amazing and seems like it'll be very helpful, thanks! And thanks to your friend too! :h:

No problem, glad it helps! I need to actually start doing it I've been procrastinating for too long.
Reply 995
No problem, glad it helps! I need to actually start doing it I've been procrastinating for too long.

You should! :h:
It is very normal not to feel so good initially after quitting. It will get easier, trust me. It took me about a month to feel normal again but it was well worth it. There are a lot of OTC meds that will help with the symptoms you mentioned. Good luck and hang in there.
Reply 997
Hi, I've posted on this group before, but since my last post I've been diagnosed with OCD (finally!). Which is exciting, seen as I was too scared to go and sort it out for years and at last I know that that's definitely what it is! People on here were also really helpful with what to say to the doctor, so thanks :smile: Anyway, I have my first CBT session on Monday, and I'm not sure what to expect...I'm a bit scared about opening up. Does anyone have any advice?

Original post by Dizzycop
Hi, I've posted on this group before, but since my last post I've been diagnosed with OCD (finally!). Which is exciting, seen as I was too scared to go and sort it out for years and at last I know that that's definitely what it is! People on here were also really helpful with what to say to the doctor, so thanks :smile: Anyway, I have my first CBT session on Monday, and I'm not sure what to expect...I'm a bit scared about opening up. Does anyone have any advice?

I would just say just feel like its more of a conversation than therapy and that you are talking to a friend about your OCD? the more you share your feelings the more it can help! Let me know how it went x
Reply 999
Been a while since I've checked in here, hope you're all good! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest