The Student Room Group

Are my parents commiting fraud?

I'm 18 and I DON'T DRIVE yet I have a blue badge for some reason...
I see no reason to learn how to drive as I can get around via other means.

My parents don't have any disabiltes yet they freely use my badge without me being with them claiming it as their own.
The badge has my name and a photo of me so there is no way they can say it is their's
I have spoken to them about this and they have told me that they are intentled to using the badge...

Isn't this illegal?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Think you should call benefit fraud on your own parents.
Reply 2
Unless you are with them it's illegal (I think?).
They can have the blue badge aslong as you are inte car when they are using it.
Original post by kat2pult
Unless you are with them it's illegal (I think?).

I'm not with them when they use it, I do live near a police station yet if I tell the police they might leave me homeless...
Reply 5
Yeah, but who actually checks??
Reply 6
It's illegal - there was a watchdog show about this very problem. You are the only one who can use the badge, nobody else.
Reply 7
I'd say yes. Disabled people don't have to pay the congestion charge (you're in London), so it's pretty sneaky of them.

London Congestion Charge
Blue Badge holders do not have to pay the London Congestion Charge. You must register with Transport for London (TfL) at least ten days before your journey and pay a one-off £10 registration fee. You can download a registration form on the TfL website.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/motoringandtransport/dg_4001061

So that saves them (or could) £10 a day.
Reply 8
Wonder how you got it, seeing as you need to present your full driving license when you apply for one? Did your parents forge that too? They must be criminal masterminds! Did they forge your birth certificate? How do you know you really exist?
Original post by EllaService
Wonder how you got it, seeing as you need to present your full driving license when you apply for one? Did your parents forge that too? They must be criminal masterminds! Did they forge your birth certificate? How do you know you really exist?

I most likely got it though my mother, she told me I do not own it as she drives and I don't, but it is in my name nonetheless...
Reply 10

The idea of the blue badge is so you can drive up to where you need to go, as you're limited in your mobility. If your child required one, they wouldn't have to provide the (obviously non-existent) driving licence of say their disabled 5 year old child.
Reply 11
Original post by AvatarMew
I'm not with them when they use it, I do live near a police station yet if I tell the police they might leave me homeless...

So you'd go to the police and complain about your own parents?

Wow... what the world has come to now. Ever thought of speaking to your parents? Why in the world do you want to go to the police and get your parents into trouble? I know it's illegal but explain that to your parents first.

I don't think this is correct, you can have one even if you don't drive. For example, my gran has one for when others take her out in the car, but she has never had a driving license.
Original post by JongKey

Wow... what the world has come to now. Ever thought of speaking to your parents? Why in the world do you want to go to the police and get your parents into trouble? I know it's illegal but explain that to your parents first.

Perhaps this is just the first step in a blackmail scheme. "Read that on TSR Mum. Now, do you want to give me that 5 grand or what?"
Reply 14
Original post by JongKey

Exactly this.
Reply 15
At no point did they say they're going to run off to the police.
As someone who uses a blue badge for disabled relatives, I know that it is completely illegal unless you are with them.

I wouldn't mind if people like that didn't use up all the disabled car parking spaces, leaving us to try and park bloody miles away.

However, I suspect that once you have pointed out to your parents (ideally with documentary proof!) that they are most definitely not entitled to use it, then there is little more that you can do - running off to the police isn't going to achieve much.
(edited 12 years ago)
I just went to the police and they told me to phone the council about this.
Original post by AvatarMew
I just went to the police and they told me to phone the council about this.

Wow heartless. You own parents??!!?? :confused:
Original post by Ice Constricter
Wow heartless. You own parents??!!?? :confused:

This has been going on for many years, it's go on long enough, they can't get away with this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending