The Student Room Group

AQA ECON3 - Predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 118fearless
Anyone have an idea of how Cost & Benefit analysis questions are marked?

This is the mark scheme from January 2010 - essay 1 is about CBA.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-ECON3-W-MS-JAN10.PDF

:smile:
Original post by ineedtorevise127
In addition to this, larger firms such as Goldman Sachs are less vulnerable to takeover compared to smaller firms such as JJB and Blockbuster who went into administration due to them not being large enough.

JJB didn't go into admin cause they weren't large enough, it was cause there sales/ total revenue was continuously decreasing, so they ended up being like 100million in debt or something like that!
Paramount movies owns blockbuster -vertical intergration. So they could easily cross subsidise.
How long should we spend on each question roughly? I struggle with timings sometime especially when there's essays :/!
Thank you =D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by phoebe230253
How long should we spend on each question roughly? I struggle with timings sometime especially when there's essays :/!
Thank you =D

Posted from TSR Mobile

I normally spend an hour on the data response (5/20/35) then allow myself an hour for the essay:smile:.
Whats likely to come up tommorow?
I have only been revising poverty, monopoly, environment and privatisation?
Reply 45
Price discrimination hasn't come up for quite a while, in fact in only came up once in June 2011 (both for a 15 marker and 25 marker) so this could come up.

Also, perfect competition and monopoly are likely to come up too I think.
I don't think Oligopoly will come up, or if it does, it won't be a 25 mark question.

I know this comes up quite often (though it didn't come up in the last paper) - objectives of firms. They often seem to throw this in, and it's a relatively easy question as long as you know your stuff on it.

There is bound to be something on government intervention/free market/public sector/private sector

Something to do with mergers/contestable markets.

How wages are determined in a perfectly competitive market compared to a imperfectly competitive market/monopsonist and how wages can be changed/influenced.

So basically things that could/likely to come up (I think):
- Perfect competition
- Price discrimination
- Monopoly
- Objectives of firms
- Government intervention v free market
- Contestable markets
- Wages/Labour markets in general
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
What calculations do we need to know for the econ 3 exam?
Reply 47
Original post by EmilyL12
What calculations do we need to know for the econ 3 exam?

Labour market wage elasticity calculation
negative externality calculation
concertation ratio calculation
Original post by av_kidd
Price discrimination hasn't come up for quite a while, in fact in only came up once in June 2011 (both for a 15 marker and 25 marker) so this could come up.

Also, perfect competition and monopoly are likely to come up too I think.
I don't think Oligopoly will come up, or if it does, it won't be a 25 mark question.

I know this comes up quite often (though it didn't come up in the last paper) - objectives of firms. They often seem to throw this in, and it's a relatively easy question as long as you know your stuff on it.

There is bound to be something on government intervention/free market/public sector/private sector

Something to do with mergers/contestable markets.

How wages are determined in a perfectly competitive market compared to a imperfectly competitive market/monopsonist and how wages can be changed/influenced.

So basically things that could/likely to come up (I think):
- Perfect competition
- Price discrimination
- Monopoly
- Objectives of firms
- Government intervention v free market
- Contestable markets
- Wages/Labour markets in general

What about poverty that is also quite popular?
What is contestable markets and what are the pros and cons of it?
It's basically the theory that the number of firms in the industry is not important but that no barriers of entry are important. Since the threat of competition is enough to force Firms to operate on the lowest point of the average cost curve where ac=mc. This way consumers are protected from price fixing from monopolies or oligopolies.

Advantages - reduces government failure and they don't have to do anything

Disadvantages-firms won't make research widely available and they many start to do predatory pricing.

Although the theory is quite controversial since there are many industries that it will be difficult to recover all the sunk costs - advertising. But it states that there are no sunk costs or entry or exit.
Do you think CBA will come up? I don't really like it much. Not enough to write about and I'm not sure what diagrams to draw either. It's really vague too, hard to relate to the question, should be okay as a 15 marker though, but then what could the 25 marker be on?
Original post by Keyan333
It's basically the theory that the number of firms in the industry is not important but that no barriers of entry are important. Since the threat of competition is enough to force Firms to operate on the lowest point of the average cost curve where ac=mc. This way consumers are protected from price fixing from monopolies or oligopolies.

Advantages - reduces government failure and they don't have to do anything

Disadvantages-firms won't make research widely available and they many start to do predatory pricing.

Although the theory is quite controversial since there are many industries that it will be difficult to recover all the sunk costs - advertising. But it states that there are no sunk costs or entry or exit.

Thanks
If a question on objectives of firms come up as a 25 marker what would you write?
Reply 54
How did everyone find it?
calculation answers for the first data response?
It went so well :smile: newbie95 thank you so much for your essay plans!!! It helped on the oligopoly question.
Reply 56
What a brilliant paper! I loved it and I did question 1,2,3,7,8. Hope all went all everyone and hope you all get the grades you want!

Ben
Reply 57
Original post by Rossitron
How did everyone find it?
calculation answers for the first data response?

9.2% change. Assuming you are wondering about the percentage change between 1995 and 2010 for trade union memberships.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Ben_K
9.2% change. Assuming you are wondering about the percentage change between 1995 and 2010 for trade union memberships.

Errrrm what?! :frown: I got a percentage decrease of 8.5%?! Double checked, triple checked and everything:frown:
Reply 59
Original post by nadster
Errrrm what?! :frown: I got a percentage decrease of 8.5%?! Double checked, triple checked and everything:frown:

Oh my bad! 8.45

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending