The Student Room Group

Same-sex marriage is a threat to humanity - The pope

Scroll to see replies

he said that homosexuality is more of a threat to our planet than global warming.

what a douche.
Well, in retrospect, no. Maybe there are a few who genuinely just want the same rights as heterosexual couples - but like I said, they already do, unless my understanding of a civil partnership is lacking somewhere. So what else could be the reason?

Presumably you know, or you wouldn't have been so brave as to call me stupid
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 142
Civil partnerships are not equal to Marriage. So no, they don't have the same rights yet.
Original post by James0507

Civil partnerships are not equal to Marriage. So no, they don't have the same rights yet.

I never said equal, I said they carry equal rights, i.e. to be entitled to the same property rights and other rights as a married couple. So in the eyes of the state they are essentially married.

The proposal to allow same-sex marriage only really has implications in respect to the minutiae of the service. So for example they can't use religious symbols. All the hassle is over the use of religious symbols, when - as far as I know - homosexual marriage isn't sanctioned by major religions, so using such a symbol amounts to sacrilege.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by Dr_Alchem
I never said equal, I said they carry equal rights, i.e. to be entitled to the same property rights and other rights as a married couple. So in the eyes of the state they are essentially married.

The proposal to allow same-sex marriage only really has implications in respect to the minutiae of the service. So for example they can't use religious symbols. All the hassle is over the use of religious symbols, when - as far as I know - homosexual marriage isn't sanctioned by major religions, so using such a symbol amounts to sacrilege.

Well no, they're not equal in rights and yes you're right all the hassle is around religion. Many religious sects welcome and encourage gay marriage, yet, the law states that gay couples cannot marry in this religious environment. I'm not saying religious institutions should be forced to host gay marriages, but gay couples should have the option to marry (rather than a civil partnership) in a religious environment where they are welcomed and wanted. Gay couples SHOULD have the right to marry alongside religious symbols. The Bible isn't a catholic holy book, it's the holy book for ALL Christians and many sects of Christianity are pro-gay marriage. There is no argument for not allowing such unions to take place.
Original post by James0507
Well no, they're not equal in rights and yes you're right all the hassle is around religion. Many religious sects welcome and encourage gay marriage, yet, the law states that gay couples cannot marry in this religious environment. I'm not saying religious institutions should be forced to host gay marriages, but gay couples should have the option to marry (rather than a civil partnership) in a religious environment where they are welcomed and wanted. Gay couples SHOULD have the right to marry alongside religious symbols. The Bible isn't a catholic holy book, it's the holy book for ALL Christians and many sects of Christianity are pro-gay marriage. There is no argument for not allowing such unions to take place.

Ok, where are they different apart from where I've stated? Just that bit in bold...what? Other than C of E, which other denominations are pro gay-marriage?
Reply 146
Original post by Dr_Alchem
Ok, where are they different apart from where I've stated? Just that bit in bold...what? Other than C of E, which other denominations are pro gay-marriage?

It's difficult to say as positions vary between regions and countries, but generally many Quakers, Presbyterians, Unitarian Universalists, Some Methodists and Lutherans too.
Quakers have long companies for equal marriage rights in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending