The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Calm-and-collected
Firstly smoking causes the irreversible change of red blood cells- the haemoglobin combines with carbon monoxide to form carboxyhaemoglobin as opposed to oxyhaemobglobin. This results in a decrease in the carrying capacity of red blood cells and so the heart must work harder to deliver sufficient oxygen. This raises the blood pressure which causes
a)artery walls to harden restricting blood flow
b)heart to be more prone to failure (work faster/harder)
c) Increase likelihood of aneurysm.
These all cause increased risk of C.H.D
Nicotine causes stimulation of adrenaline production which raises blood pressure also.

wth... we never even did that in biology
Original post by Mocking_bird
Hahah.. I still can't figure out who heis :frown: Its been narrowed down to 4 people though! :P

mockinggggbirdddd can you please confirm something pleaseee..

the last question of the jan 2011 paper asks about empysema. however, the first mark is awarded for saying

Alveoli break down / collapse / rupture / walls
thicken
;

why is walls thicken on the mark scheme when emphysema is not related to the thickening of the walls, but instead pulmonary fibrosis is the disease that talks about the thickening of the walls ??
Original post by Mo.
no comment .... need to find out who you are 1st.. lol
sorry but isnt this a biology thread? lets focus on the biology considering its in a couple of days? :s-smilie:
Hahahah. It feels like that ;D

Anyway, how are you feeling about the exam? :smile:

A lot better than last year. You?
Original post by James A
mockinggggbirdddd can you please confirm something pleaseee..

the last question of the jan 2011 paper asks about empysema. however, the first mark is awarded for saying

Alveoli break down / collapse / rupture / walls
thicken
;

why is walls thicken on the mark scheme when emphysema is not related to the thickening of the walls, but instead pulmonary fibrosis is the disease that talks about the thickening of the walls ??

I can't remember exactly what the mark scheme says but.. Is it not relating to alveolar wall thickens hence increased diffusion pathway ? Or is that a different mark?
If there isnt a different mark for it i'd presume thats what it meant :smile:
Reply 1985
Hahahah. It feels like that ;D

Anyway, how are you feeling about the exam? :smile:

1. I know its too late to get an A, so i ant assed about it any more.
2. i only got my self 2 blame 4 sitting on my ass
3. if i dont hit my targets there is always june
4. so i guess im confident that im prob. gone end uo getting a D - C however i did a past paper last night and got an A grade so im confused too...
5. im a complicated guy with a complicated mind lmfao.....
6. what ever happens our fates are already written, but we can try 2 change it... but if i do try now its not gone do much might jus get me like 5 marks more???...
Original post by mbisababe
sorry but isnt this a biology thread? lets focus on the biology considering its in a couple of days? :s-smilie:

Do you have a question or are you just being like that for no reason? :3
Thats so a yes! I know who you are >:] Who is it you think I am.. with some way of describing.. hahah.

Hahaha!

Original post by Mo.
wth... we never even did that in biology

Its in the last part of chapter 4.5!

cheer up love.
Reply 1988
I can't remember exactly what the mark scheme says but.. Is it not relating to alveolar wall thickens hence increased diffusion pathway ? Or is that a different mark?

i got 6/6 marks on that.... questions i`ll tell you my answer 1sec...
Original post by Mo.
4. so i guess im confident that im prob. gone end uo getting a D - C however i did a past paper last night and got an A grade so im confused too...
6. what ever happens our fates are already written, but we can try 2 change it... but if i do try now its not gone do much might jus get me like 5 marks more???...

If you stick around the thread later i'm gonna start doing the revision questions, thats usually really helpful as people will correct you where you've gone wrong and its helped me a ton with getting some of the specific wording down. :smile:
But if you're getting an A in the past papers i'm sure you'll be fine in the real thing :biggrin:

Firstly smoking causes the irreversible change of red blood cells- the haemoglobin combines with carbon monoxide to form carboxyhaemoglobin as opposed to oxyhaemobglobin. This results in a decrease in the carrying capacity of red blood cells and so the heart must work harder to deliver sufficient oxygen. This raises the blood pressure which causes
a)artery walls to harden restricting blood flow
b)heart to be more prone to failure (work faster/harder)
c) Increase likelihood of aneurysm.
These all cause increased risk of C.H.D
Nicotine causes stimulation of adrenaline production which raises blood pressure also.

Thanks!!!
Original post by Mo.

5 marks can be the difference between a B and an A. Or so my teachers always tell me.
Do you have a question or are you just being like that for no reason? :3

im reading through the thread and its all really useful so thankyou :biggrin: but the random conversations are a bit unnecessary :/ sorry im just very stressed, yet to get above a d in the past papers :frown:

the question is:

Emphysema is another disease of the lungs. People with emphysema may feel
weak and tired. Explain why

the ms is:

1 Alveoli break down / collapse / rupture / walls
thicken;
2 Less surface area / increases diffusion distance /
less diffusion;
3 Loss of elastin / elastic tissue / elastase involved;
4 (Alveoli / lungs) cannot recoil / spring back / have
reduced elasticity / more difficult to expel air;
5 Reduced diffusion gradient / air not replenished /
less air leaves lungs;
6 Less oxygen enters blood / tissues;
7 Less respiration / less energy released / less ATP
produced

im really rattled by this question
im reading through the thread and its all really useful so thankyou :biggrin: but the random conversations are a bit unnecessary :/ sorry im just very stressed, yet to get above a d in the past papers :frown:

LOL..come on a bit later when the questions start! Good luck for the exam though :smile:
Quick questions to bring this back to imminent biology exam

1. How can smoking lead to angina during excersise?
2. Name two ways in which the structure of a red blood cell differs from an epithelia cell
3. Name two functions of the muscular wall of the small intestine
4. Explain why buffers are used in cell fractionation
5. Why do people with asthma cough alot?
6. What is passive immunity?
7. Give two reasons why scientific research is published in scientific journals
WOOO :rofl: :ahee: :awesome:

JUST LIKE TO POINT OUT, THIS IS THE 2000th POST?!?!!!!!

WOOO :woo: :party: :dance:

:sexface: :u: :h:

Good luck for the exam guys!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by erniiee
LOL..come on a bit later when the questions start! Good luck for the exam though :smile:

thanks..i think :smile: you too!
Original post by James A
the question is:

Emphysema is another disease of the lungs. People with emphysema may feel
weak and tired. Explain why

the ms is:

1 Alveoli break down / collapse / rupture / walls
thicken;
2 Less surface area / increases diffusion distance /
less diffusion;
3 Loss of elastin / elastic tissue / elastase involved;
4 (Alveoli / lungs) cannot recoil / spring back / have
reduced elasticity / more difficult to expel air;
5 Reduced diffusion gradient / air not replenished /
less air leaves lungs;
6 Less oxygen enters blood / tissues;
7 Less respiration / less energy released / less ATP
produced

im really rattled by this question

Well.. emphysema = reduced surface area/aleoli wall thickens/lung elasticity lost.
It just seems as if you would of only got 1 mark for saying alveoli break down and walls thicken (2 with explanation - as they both generally lead to "less diffusion".).
So you would of basically been repeating the same thing.
:biggrin:
Got the day off from college tomorrow to study for this exam, only problem is i've done almost all of the past papers on the AQA site more than once already. Does anyone here have the June 2011 exam paper/mark scheme they'd be willing to link me to?

Latest

Trending

Trending