The Student Room Group

Btec Applied Science

I’ve been denied to study the obvious courses in sf such as bio/chem however i needed these in uni to get onto the courses i wanted however i took an alternate route and applied for the btec level 3 extended diploma in applied science i was wondering if this is extremely hard and what to expect on the course. And also say i take a level Business along this will it be to much
(edited 2 years ago)
I did Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science, and it is quite difficult. You'll have around 12-13 units and 3-4 assignments for each unit with multiple pass, merit, and distinction criteria you need to meet to get a distinction. If you get a merit/pass in one assignment of a unit you will be capped at a merit/pass for every assignment in that unit. If you have good time management and don't leave assignments until day before submission you should be fine with this, though. Exams were in January for both years of my BTEC, so you'll also need good time management for that (if exams go ahead this upcoming January) as you'll need to revise and work on multiple assignments. (For reference, I had to revise for exams and complete 8 assignments in semester 1 of year 1 (Sept - Jan)).

Not sure if it's still a requirement, but everyone had to complete 40 hours of unpaid work experience each year of the BTEC in a science-related industry. This may not be a requirement anymore, just making you aware.

An important thing about BTECs and entry into university is that universities usually ask for your BTEC to be accompanied by an A Level, so A Level Biology if you're wanting to study biology at university, or they'll want you to have completed specific units in your BTEC.

If you're wanting to go into science at university, the A Level in Business will unlikely be of much help unless the universities you're applying to accept BTEC accompanied with an A Level not relevant to the course you're studying. Some do, but it's not many.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much that really helped me get a better understanding!
Original post by grey-giraffe
I did Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science, and it is quite difficult. You'll have around 12-13 units and 3-4 assignments for each unit with multiple pass, merit, and distinction criteria you need to meet to get a distinction. If you get a merit/pass in one assignment of a unit you will be capped at a merit/pass for every assignment in that unit. If you have good time management and don't leave assignments until day before submission you should be fine with this, though. Exams were in January for both years of my BTEC, so you'll also need good time management for that (if exams go ahead this upcoming January) as you'll need to revise and work on multiple assignments. (For reference, I had to revise for exams and complete 8 assignments in semester 1 of year 1 (Sept - Jan)).

Not sure if it's still a requirement, but everyone had to complete 40 hours of unpaid work experience each year of the BTEC in a science-related industry. This may not be a requirement anymore, just making you aware.

An important thing about BTECs and entry into university is that universities usually ask for your BTEC to be accompanied by an A Level, so A Level Biology if you're wanting to study biology at university, or they'll want you to have completed specific units in your BTEC.

If you're wanting to go into science at university, the A Level in Business will unlikely be of much help unless the universities you're applying to accept BTEC accompanied with an A Level not relevant to the course you're studying. Some do, but it's not many.

Hii, would you say it’s difficult if you don’t have good time management or because of the actual content? Sorry I’m just a bit worried because I’ll be starting the course in September this year and even tho I got quite decent grades (7-6) in combined science i haven’t actually done science in a year. I don’t want it to be too too difficult for me as this will be my second time resitting year 1🫣
Reply 4
Original post by berrybeom
Hii, would you say it’s difficult if you don’t have good time management or because of the actual content? Sorry I’m just a bit worried because I’ll be starting the course in September this year and even tho I got quite decent grades (7-6) in combined science i haven’t actually done science in a year. I don’t want it to be too too difficult for me as this will be my second time resitting year 1🫣

Omg I'm in exactly the same situation and Im starting applied science in September but I'm hoping to do it along side English literature a level .

What do you also want to study at university
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by grey-giraffe

How did you find unit 7?
Original post by Radho2
Omg I'm in exactly the same situation and Im starting applied science in September but I'm hoping to do it along side English literature a level .

What do you also want to study at university

Hii, Im honestly just hoping to be able to radiography or physio but mostly radiography. I am still exploring roles in healthcare tho x what do you want to study at uni?
I did this course swell, just finished it couple months back. tbh, like anything, its not all easy, but I feel like it is manageable. really, my advice would be like as soon as u get ur assignment task, don't push it off till after, the best thing u can do is just to start it. @grey-giraffe explained the rest perfectly, but just to confirm, u don't need to 40hrs of unpair work experience anymore. if u got any more questions, lmk. id be more than happy to help out
Original post by Fxxxxxxx
I’ve been denied to study the obvious courses in sf such as bio/chem however i needed these in uni to get onto the courses i wanted however i took an alternate route and applied for the btec level 3 extended diploma in applied science i was wondering if this is extremely hard and what to expect on the course. And also say i take a level Business along this will it be to much
Original post by Qasim-2004
I did this course swell, just finished it couple months back. tbh, like anything, its not all easy, but I feel like it is manageable. really, my advice would be like as soon as u get ur assignment task, don't push it off till after, the best thing u can do is just to start it. @grey-giraffe explained the rest perfectly, but just to confirm, u don't need to 40hrs of unpair work experience anymore. if u got any more questions, lmk. id be more than happy to help out

Hey I really need help I’m in year 2 rn of applied science and I need distinctions in all units but I’m struggling on an assignment. Would you be able to help me just a bit
Original post by Arianaa3x
Hey I really need help I’m in year 2 rn of applied science and I need distinctions in all units but I’m struggling on an assignment. Would you be able to help me just a bit

Hey I’m currently in y13 and do this course does it matter if I accidentally missed one reference picture or 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending