The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Mocking_bird
I will do dont worry :biggrin: I think i did in the chem thread, if i remember correctly :smile:
Aww its alright anyway, thanks for the thought though :biggrin:

:cool: Hopefully! I'm sure we'll be crazy spamming this thread after the exam like "WHAT DID YOU PUT FOR THIS?!?".. etc. :colondollar:

Will you be on here straight after the exam? Its a morning exam - and we have to go back to lessons.. but I never do as im so anxious hahaaha
Original post by EffKayy
Will you be on here straight after the exam? Its a morning exam - and we have to go back to lessons.. but I never do as im so anxious hahaaha

I dont think so.. I've got chemistry and then maths (lessons, and considering ive got those 2 exams both on the friday i should probably go haha)afterwards, but will be home at about 2 or so to make myself even more anxious talking about it with you lot :colondollar:
Reply 782
I'm really not confident at all.
I think I know my stuff.. but then I struggle to apply things to certain areas (confusing to explain I know)...

When do you know the difference between co-transport, facilitated diffusion, active transport etc.?
Can some please give example or something?
I've done a question about absorption of glucose to epithelial cells, but which ones transport the glucose..? Is it active transport with ATP and sodium-potassium pump adds in potassium to cell and removes sodium from cell (to blood). Does that then create a concentration gradient, so sodium and glucose more through a.. carrier protein... maybe?? into the epithelial cell... ???

I dont understand phospolipid bilayers either. Does the fluid mosaic model surround all cells.. or proteins.. or what really? :/

*thanks by the way to whoever helps :smile:*
Original post by EffKayy
Have you finished all your revision? You seem uber confident dude! :biggrin:

I've been in College today and done a revision session for Biology which had my teacher throwing random questions at me that popped into her head for about 2hrs, and I coped very well. This has given me some confidence, for sure.

I've got another session tomorrow for Biology with my other teacher (as I have two teachers) and so that will pretty much complete my revision as I've already done what I had set out for myself.

Although, I'll casually keep with it so I'm ticking over nicely for the exam. We've got a VLE with plenty of resources on it, and so even though a lot of it is repetition, it's repetition of a slightly different form.
Reply 784
&& if anyone has any quick revision tips or ideas to help me learn?

I seem to just to learning off mark schemes at the moment.. the questions seem very repetitive.. is that what everyone here is doing? xoxo
Original post by Last Chance
A few questions. [Just made these out of the blue, will do them myself too to recap] :o:)

Explain why a higher blood pressure may increase the risk of developing CHD.

Explain diastole in the heart.

How are the alveoli adapted to their function? [5 marks]

Describe and explain the processes of breathing in and out. [5 marks]

Give four differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.

Explain how the cardiac cycle is controlled. [5 marks]

Explain how starch is digested. [5 marks]

Explain the process of active transport.

In terms of water potential, explain why a cell my burst when placed in a concentrated solution.

Name a treatment for the symptoms of cholera and how it helps in reducing them. [5 marks]

1)higher blood pressure means that there is a higher risk of thrombosis, in which the coronary arteries are blocked reducing the supply of oxygen and glucose to the heart muscle affected. This means the muscle cells cant respire causing the heart muscle to die.
2)Blood enters the vena cava and pulmonary veins. As the pressure in the atria rises, the atrioventricular valves are forced open. Both the atria and the ventricles are relaxed as the blood fills the ventricles.
3)Alveoli have a large surface area to volume ratio to speed up the rate of gas exchange. The alveoli are one cell thick to allow a short diffusion pathway so that rapid diffusion is maintained. Air with high oxygen concentration is breathed in and air with low oxygen concentration is breathed out, this maintains a steep diffusion gradient. thats all i can think of :s-smilie:
4)External intercostal muscles contract while internal intercoastal muscles relax. The ribs are pulled upwards and outwards, diaphram contracts causing it to flatten increasing the volume of the thorax. Atmospheric pressure is greater than pulmonary pressure so air is forced out of the lungs
5)Euokaryotic cells:
Linear DNA
80S ribosomes
Membrane bounded organelles are present
Nucleus is present
Prokaryotic cells:
Circular DNA
70S ribosomes
No membrane bounded organelles are present
No true nucleus is present
5)The heart muscle is myogenic, the contractions are stimulated within the heart. The SAN sends a wave of electrical activity to both atrias making them contract. Non conductive tissue stops the electrical impulses reaching the ventricles. There is a short delay to allow the atrias to empty before the ventricles contract. The AVN sends an electrical activty to the bundle of His where the fibres branch off in the base of the ventricles. The ventricles contract at the apex of the heart.
6)Salivary amylase is produced in the mouth which hydrolyses starch into maltose. The food passes to the stomach where the salivary amylase is denatured to prevent further breakdown of starch. The pancreas produces pancratic juice which contains pancreatic amylase which hydrolyses any left over starch into maltose. The lining of the small intestine produce maltase which hydrolyses maltose into alpha glucose
7)??
8)the water potential in the cell is lower than the water potential outside the cell so water moves out of the cell and into the concentration by osmosis causing it to burst
9)???
I dont think so.. I've got chemistry and then maths (lessons, and considering ive got those 2 exams both on the friday i should probably go haha)afterwards, but will be home at about 2 or so to make myself even more anxious talking about it with you lot :colondollar:

Same as this.

In fact, I don't even think I'll look at a thread regarding the Biology exam until after I've done the Math & Chemistry exams on Friday. I'll be tempted, but it's better for me to focus on the others as I won't be able to do anything about the Biology and what will be will.

Although, I'll slap an unofficial mark scheme out Friday evening if no-one else has already done so by then. Then you can all shoot me down in flames.
Original post by xDesertRose
1)higher blood pressure means that there is a higher risk of thrombosis, in which the coronary arteries are blocked reducing the supply of oxygen and glucose to the heart muscle affected. This means the muscle cells cant respire causing the heart muscle to die.
2)Blood enters the vena cava and pulmonary veins. As the pressure in the atria rises, the atrioventricular valves are forced open. Both the atria and the ventricles are relaxed as the blood fills the ventricles.
3)Alveoli have a large surface area to volume ratio to speed up the rate of gas exchange. The alveoli are one cell thick to allow a short diffusion pathway so that rapid diffusion is maintained. Air with high oxygen concentration is breathed in and air with low oxygen concentration is breathed out, this maintains a steep diffusion gradient. thats all i can think of :s-smilie:
4)External intercostal muscles contract while internal intercoastal muscles relax. The ribs are pulled upwards and outwards, diaphram contracts causing it to flatten increasing the volume of the thorax. Atmospheric pressure is greater than pulmonary pressure so air is forced out of the lungs
5)Euokaryotic cells:
Linear DNA
80S ribosomes
Membrane bounded organelles are present
Nucleus is present
Prokaryotic cells:
Circular DNA
70S ribosomes
No membrane bounded organelles are present
No true nucleus is present
5)The heart muscle is myogenic, the contractions are stimulated within the heart. The SAN sends a wave of electrical activity to both atrias making them contract. Non conductive tissue stops the electrical impulses reaching the ventricles. There is a short delay to allow the atrias to empty before the ventricles contract. The AVN sends an electrical activty to the bundle of His where the fibres branch off in the base of the ventricles. The ventricles contract at the apex of the heart.
6)Salivary amylase is produced in the mouth which hydrolyses starch into maltose. The food passes to the stomach where the salivary amylase is denatured to prevent further breakdown of starch. The pancreas produces pancratic juice which contains pancreatic amylase which hydrolyses any left over starch into maltose. The lining of the small intestine produce maltase which hydrolyses maltose into alpha glucose
7)??
8)the water potential in the cell is lower than the water potential outside the cell so water moves out of the cell and into the concentration by osmosis causing it to burst
9)???

You mixed the numbers up so this might get confusing hahah. But your 9 (question 10) is to do with ORS. Your 7 (Q 8) i'd guess would just be low to high conc through carrier proteins? Not sure how else to expand :smile:
I will do dont worry :biggrin: I think i did in the chem thread, if i remember correctly :smile:
Aww its alright anyway, thanks for the thought though :biggrin:

You did, and I thank you for it. :biggrin:
Original post by Tullia
I've been in College today and done a revision session for Biology which had my teacher throwing random questions at me that popped into her head for about 2hrs, and I coped very well. This has given me some confidence, for sure.

I've got another session tomorrow for Biology with my other teacher (as I have two teachers) and so that will pretty much complete my revision as I've already done what I had set out for myself.

Although, I'll casually keep with it so I'm ticking over nicely for the exam. We've got a VLE with plenty of resources on it, and so even though a lot of it is repetition, it's repetition of a slightly different form.

Ah lucky, im the only one doing biology in my class (im doing it privately)so ive had to teach myself most of the concepts -_-
You should watch some of his programmes if you havent already. There was one on recently called "A night with the stars" (or something), which had some chemistry stuff on it too that was kinda relating to what we're doing in chem1 (only a little bit like structure of diamond and stuff like that but still! :biggrin:)

Random neg is random. Thanks brah!

He's awesome, he was on QI like 3 weeks ago and it was funny as hell xD
also, pos repped you :wink: haters gonna hate...

Original post by britash
Yes he did. I didn't even know who he was until this year because all the 'physics-y' people from my form just talk about physics and him, and my form tutor etc.
He got a D on physics... and hes now famous from it haha XD
Your old physics teacher must have gone to my school/sixth form then :P x

He might have gone to you school lol, i don't know where he went :P
Reply 791
Original post by Tullia
Same as this.

In fact, I don't even think I'll look at a thread regarding the Biology exam until after I've done the Math & Chemistry exams on Friday. I'll be tempted, but it's better for me to focus on the others as I won't be able to do anything about the Biology and what will be will.

Although, I'll slap an unofficial mark scheme out Friday evening if no-one else has already done so by then. Then you can all shoot me down in flames.

NOO :frown: We need your answers... :L
Reply 792
http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/chemistry

attempting some questions off here now :smile:
using all my resources. haha XD
You mixed the numbers up so this might get confusing hahah. But your 9 (question 10) is to do with ORS. Your 7 (Q 8) i'd guess would just be low to high conc through carrier proteins? Not sure how else to expand :smile:

-_____- this just goes to show im useless past midnight
Original post by britash
I'm really not confident at all.
I think I know my stuff.. but then I struggle to apply things to certain areas (confusing to explain I know)...

When do you know the difference between co-transport, facilitated diffusion, active transport etc.?
Can some please give example or something?
I've done a question about absorption of glucose to epithelial cells, but which ones transport the glucose..? Is it active transport with ATP and sodium-potassium pump adds in potassium to cell and removes sodium from cell (to blood). Does that then create a concentration gradient, so sodium and glucose more through a.. carrier protein... maybe?? into the epithelial cell... ???

*thanks by the way to whoever helps :smile:*

Co-transport: I think the only way this applies is to the glucose+Na in absorbtion of glucose. (that we have ot know)
Facilitated diffusion: High to low concentration through carrier or channel proteins.
Active transport: Low to high concentration through carrier proteins only.

Absorbtion of glucose (this is a condensed version as my brain is slowly shutting down with it being 12am haha)

-Na removed from epithelial into blood via active transport through Na-K pump.
- Na then moves from high to low conc with a glucose molecule from the lumen of intestine to epithelial cell via cotransport through a carrier or channel protein.
- Glucose is then at a higher conc in epithelial cell than in blood, so moves via facilitated diffusion through carrier/channel into the blood.
Original post by Boom533
He's awesome, he was on QI like 3 weeks ago and it was funny as hell xD
also, pos repped you :wink: haters gonna hate...

Woo thanks! :woo:

& Oh crap, how did I miss that! Gonna have to try and find it somewhere.
Reply 796
Co-transport: I think the only way this applies is to the glucose+Na in absorbtion of glucose. (that we have ot know)
Facilitated diffusion: High to low concentration through carrier or channel proteins.
Active transport: Low to high concentration through carrier proteins only.

Absorbtion of glucose (this is a condensed version as my brain is slowly shutting down with it being 12am haha)

-Na removed from epithelial into blood via active transport through Na-K pump.
- Na then moves from high to low conc with a glucose molecule from the lumen of intestine to epithelial cell via cotransport through a carrier or channel protein.
- Glucose is then at a higher conc in epithelial cell than in blood, so moves via facilitated diffusion through carrier/channel into the blood.

Green thumb up :yy: :smile:
This is great thank-you! xoxo
Reply 797
Woah its super windy :frown: Doubt I'm going to be able to sleep tonight ^^ x
Original post by britash
Woah its super windy :frown: Doubt I'm going to be able to sleep tonight ^^ x

Same... Wind and rain pounding against my window right now but meh, damn you Manchester! I shall attempt to sleep now hehe.

See you all tomorrow :dance:
Reply 799
can someone please explain T-cells and B cells and how they work. Also Monoclonal antiobodies.
eek less than a week now :/

Latest

Trending

Trending