The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by erniiee
Anybody gonna admit to negging me?

Edit: Ouch - I was talking about my post up there! #968! Didn't really want any more lol..

Anyway, does any one know the names of the three different types of active transport? I can't find them anywhere in the AQA Nelson Thornes textbook.

The different types of active transport? Don't think its specified in the spec so doubt we need to know. Probs just the Na+K+ pump or is that something else? :rolleyes:
Reply 981
Original post by erniiee
Anybody gonna admit to negging me?

Edit: Ouch - I was talking about my post up there! #968! Didn't really want any more lol..

Anyway, does any one know the names of the three different types of active transport? I can't find them anywhere in the AQA Nelson Thornes textbook.

Just looked at why you possibly got negged:
"Had my mock Bio today - was the June 2011 paper. Got 51/60...:rant:"

And that's not a great mark? kthanksbye.
Original post by EffKayy
You've asked this SO many times fmllllllllllll

oh shut up, its a free forum
Reply 983
Original post by Blob2491
Cellular Response
T-Cells are produced in bone marrow and matured in the thymus gland. T-Cells are covered in proteins that bind to the Antigen-Representing Cells' antigen. This activates the T-Cell to do 2 things - release substances that stimulate the activation of B cells/ T cells bind to antigen on pathogen and release perforin; killing the pathogen.

Humoral Response
B-Cells are produced and matured in bone marrow. Each B-Cell has different shaped antibodies on its surface that are complementary to different antigen's. When the antibody on the surface of a B-Cell meets a complementary shaped antigen, they bind forming an antigen-antibody complex (think of enzyme-substrate complex). Once activated the B-Cell divides by mitosis into plasma cells which secrete antibodies specific to the antigen.

Monoclonal antibodies have the same variable region and are produced by identical B-Cells (Plasma Cells)

Should go into more detail but that should be sufficient...

thank you so much :smile: ha! this thread is going to fast cant keep up.
I now know everything on the spec the problem now is applying those knowledge to exam question :/

Anyone care to share tips on how they answer data questions that the only think i keep getting wrong in past papers.
Original post by EffKayy
Hello :cool:

Hello there :dance:

Original post by cricketman
thanks mocking bird that also helped me to understand also mocking bird can you please explain to me how the co transport of a glucose molecule this includes the sodium potassium pump. Its on page 64 on the nelson thrones book but i don't really understand it.

Cotransport of glucose:
1) Na moves through Na-K pump from the epithelial cell (low conc) to the blood (high conc) via active transport.
2) This lowers the concentration of Na in the epithelial cell further, so Na from inside the lumen moves into the epithelial with glucose by co-transport via facilitated diffusion.
3) The concentration of glucose is now higher in the epithelial cell than in the blood, so it moves through carrier or channel proteins by faciliated diffusion into the blood and is then transported away.

I find it easier to imagine with a picture:

(edit: i didnt make this image so it does contain some irrelevant stuff, just for a visual though :P)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 985
Original post by Mocking_bird

How're you? :tongue:
Thread isn't busy today :frown: fmllllllllllllll. bio is <333
Original post by EffKayy
How're you? :tongue:
Thread isn't busy today :frown: fmllllllllllllll. bio is <333

I'm absolutley knackered to be honest hahah, im having another break day as i just cant bring myself to do anymore proper revision :tongue: how about youu?

& Yeah :frown: Need to get them (repeated) questions going latet... People seem to appear when that happens :wink:
Reply 987
I'm absolutley knackered to be honest hahah, im having another break day as i just cant bring myself to do anymore proper revision :tongue: how about youu?

& Yeah :frown: Need to get them (repeated) questions going latet... People seem to appear when that happens :wink:

Haha me too! I went to sleep straight after school :biggrin:
Probably going to get the spec open and test myself soon :biggrin:

Lmfao. Haha I swear we've done emphysema like 100 times now, it better come up lmao.

I'm really scareeeeeeed :frown:
Original post by EffKayy
Haha me too! I went to sleep straight after school :biggrin:
Probably going to get the spec open and test myself soon :biggrin:

Lmfao. Haha I swear we've done emphysema like 100 times now, it better come up lmao.

I'm really scareeeeeeed :frown:

OH that reminds me, today in my biology lesson we ended up doing the emphysema question.. i was like FML! :tongue:

& You have nothing to worry about! You know your stuff :biggrin:
hey kidsssss its barnneyyyyyy

just kidding, im gonna relax my brain from biology revision by doing some maths trigonometry questions !! ahhhhhh
Reply 990
Original post by EffKayy
Just looked at why you possibly got negged:
"Had my mock Bio today - was the June 2011 paper. Got 51/60...:rant:"

And that's not a great mark? kthanksbye.

LOL you're the first person on TSR I've seen that knows that "parr". :rofl:

Haha fair enough. I was just annoyed because for a lot of questions it was stupid things to lose marks on such as including minor terminology. And I was beaten by this guy I hate:mad:

Oh well, I'm aiming for 90 UMS, so realistically I think a mark of 54 or above should be enough. What do you think it'll be for 100 UMS?
Reply 991
Original post by Qari
2 different types carrier proteins and co-transporters

Not what I meant..I wanna know the names :smile:
Reply 992
Original post by erniiee
LOL you're the first person on TSR I've seen that knows that "parr". :rofl:

Haha fair enough. I was just annoyed because for a lot of questions it was stupid things to lose marks on such as including minor terminology. And I was beaten by this guy I hate:mad:

Oh well, I'm aiming for 90 UMS, so realistically I think a mark of 54 or above should be enough. What do you think it'll be for 100 UMS?

Lmfao.
Haha, 51/60 is around 92ums on that paper - what you on about?!? 55 is 100.
Reply 993
Original post by EffKayy
The different types of active transport? Don't think its specified in the spec so doubt we need to know. Probs just the Na+K+ pump or is that something else? :rolleyes:

Oh okay, thanks for the reply. Gonna look in the hench A Level Biology textbook.
Reply 994
Original post by EffKayy
Lmfao.
Haha, 51/60 is around 92ums on that paper - what you on about?!? 55 is 100.

Oh really? I thought the UMS boundaries were really high like Chemistry..you need like 69/70 for 100 UMS in the CHEM1 papers apparently.

OH, so imma aim for 55/60 then..thanks :smile:
Reply 995
Original post by erniiee
Oh really? I thought the UMS boundaries were really high like Chemistry..you need like 69/70 for 100 UMS in the CHEM1 papers apparently.

OH, so imma aim for 55/60 then..thanks :smile:

Haha yeap, they're quite low. 55 is the MAX it will be for 100 (45/60 for an A), but with papers being as low as 37, the grade boundary for 100 is 48/49.

How's revision and how are you revising?

Cotransport of glucose:
1) Na moves through Na-K pump from the epithelial cell (low conc) to the blood (high conc) via active transport.
2) This lowers the concentration of Na in the epithelial cell further, so Na from inside the lumen moves into the epithelial with glucose by co-transport via facilitated diffusion.
3) The concentration of glucose is now higher in the epithelial cell than in the blood, so it moves through carrier or channel proteins by faciliated diffusion into the blood and is then transported away.

I find it easier to imagine with a picture:

(edit: i didnt make this image so it does contain some irrelevant stuff, just for a visual though :P)

Thank you. Final question is the lumen same as the intestine if not what is the lumen then
Original post by cricketman
Thank you. Final question is the lumen same as the intestine if not what is the lumen then

The lumen is just the inside space of the intestine (in this case anyway. the lumen is also the inside space of the arteries and so on)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 998
Original post by EffKayy
Haha yeap, they're quite low. 55 is the MAX it will be for 100 (45/60 for an A), but with papers being as low as 37, the grade boundary for 100 is 48/49.

How's revision and how are you revising?

Surprisingly so!

Thats good news though :smile:

Its going okay, I'm making condensed notes, answering exam style questions and past papers. How about yours?
Hi guys, I'm back, just wondering, I was thinking about immune response when a bacteria enters the body, does it go like this:

Phagocytes engulf the bacterium and contain it in a vesicle/vacuole/phagosome

The phagocytes then present a part of the pathogen on it's cell surface membrane to stimulate T-cell production.

T-cells then divide into cytotoxin, helper t-cells etc.

B-cells are also present and bind to an antigen to divide, they then divide into both memory cells for future encounters of the pathogen and plasma cells for the production of antibodies.

Is this right?

Latest

Trending

Trending