Original post by Mocking_bird
Ahem, to lighten the mood:

Spoiler

ahahaha :biggrin:

I was so happy i actually got that :colonhash:

Spoiler

loool Needed that, things were starting to hotten up; even when your "Calm-and-collected" :wink:
Original post by ??????????????????
Isn't it used in testing for non-reducing sugars?

yep sorry :colondollar: ehehe
hi guys, what have you been getting in past papers?/what would you say is a mark for a "safe" A?
Reply 1585
Anyone know the grade boundaries for the spec paper?
QUOTE=ChocolatePearl;35725455]OK, so I got a couple of more questions to spice up ur revision :wink:

1) Desceribe how Nicotine increases the risk of CHD's (5 marks)
Doesn't it raise blood pressure or something? Also, it's an addictive substance so increase cigarette consumption. Then talk about the links between smoking and CHD for 3-4 marks. I cba.
2) Why is HCL used when testing for reducing sugars?
For hydrolysis, to break but glycosidic bonds between non-reducing sugars so they can be identifies in benedicts solution. The HCl is neutralised with NaHCO3.
3) What are the functions of Lysosomes?
Cntain hydrolytic enzymes which can break down pathogens or cell waste. They can also be released on the whole cell for autolysis when the cell dies entirely.
4) What are the functions for Golgi Apparatus?
To have a funny name, to modify and transport proteins and lipids. Proteins and lipids are modified in the Golgi cisternae and transported via vesicles. Hydrolytic enzymes are also manufactured and released in lysosomes as a result of the Golgi apparatus.
5) How do the lock and key model and the induced fit model differ?
Lock and key suggest the enzyme is a rigid structure, while induced fit suggests the enzyme changes shape to bind to the substrate and also during the enzyme-substrate-complex to induce pressures across the substrate to break it.

Spoiler

I asked something similar to this to a girl in Biology once.

I didn't know if it were an awkward turtle or a fail whale...
Reply 1588
Original post by AspiringGenius
Are you doing an Open University course? WOW! :smile: *bows in worship*

Yeah.. Not too sure if its a good idea on top of my a-levels, but the topic (molecules, medicines and drugs) looks really good :smile: x
can anybody help me out with this question???

Immunisation programmes may use either attenuated or dead microorganisms. Suggest why there might be problems for the patient when using these vaccines.
Reply 1590
I asked something similar to this to a girl in Biology once.

I didn't know if it were an awkward turtle or a fail whale...

Fail Whale? Can't say I've ever heard of that one before. haha :smile: x

Spoiler

haha :smile:
answer the questions i posted previously :wink:
How did you do in the specimen paper?
Original post by maria-95
can anybody help me out with this question???

Immunisation programmes may use either attenuated or dead microorganisms. Suggest why there might be problems for the patient when using these vaccines.

I don't know why the dead microorganisms would be a problem, but whilst attenuated pathogens are weakened, fragile, elder people in a population might still get sick as their immune system is weakened.

Spoiler

How have I never seen this before?

Spoiler

Original post by ChocolatePearl
I don't know why the dead microorganisms would be a problem, but whilst attenuated pathogens are weakened, fragile, elder people in a population might still get sick as their immune system is weakened.

I think the dead ones are also less effective.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by britash
Fail Whale? Can't say I've ever heard of that one before. haha :smile: x

Awkward turtle, awkward giraffe, awkward gay giraffe, awkward ice-cream, awkward fish, awkward whale, fail whale... :-) they all have different contexts...
Original post by britash
Yeah.. Not too sure if its a good idea on top of my a-levels, but the topic (molecules, medicines and drugs) looks really good :smile: x

Can we swap? You can have some moderate GCSE grades and a BONSAi TREE!!! :smile:
Does anyone have any good ways of remembering lung diseases?
Reply 1596
Wow, you guys are talking at a way higher standard than I thought was needed. Are you guys retakers or Upper Sixth or am I on the wrong board?

The January 2011 Paper was about Cholera first question and Lungs last question?
QUOTE=ChocolatePearl;35725455]OK, so I got a couple of more questions to spice up ur revision :wink:

1) Desceribe how Nicotine increases the risk of CHD's (5 marks)
Doesn't it raise blood pressure or something? Also, it's an addictive substance so increase cigarette consumption. Then talk about the links between smoking and CHD for 3-4 marks. I cba.
2) Why is HCL used when testing for reducing sugars?
For hydrolysis, to break but glycosidic bonds between non-reducing sugars so they can be identifies in benedicts solution. The HCl is neutralised with NaHCO3.
3) What are the functions of Lysosomes?
Cntain hydrolytic enzymes which can break down pathogens or cell waste. They can also be released on the whole cell for autolysis when the cell dies entirely.
4) What are the functions for Golgi Apparatus?
To have a funny name, to modify and transport proteins and lipids. Proteins and lipids are modified in the Golgi cisternae and transported via vesicles. Hydrolytic enzymes are also manufactured and released in lysosomes as a result of the Golgi apparatus.

Yepp those are pretty much all the answers except for numbero uno-

1) Nicotine causes vasoconstriction of the arterioles and raises blood pressure
-increases stickiness of blood platelets so increases the risk of blood clot formation.
-reduction in blood supply to heart muscles
-stimulates the release of adrenaline which increases heart rate and pressure further.
Reply 1598
Awkward turtle, awkward giraffe, awkward gay giraffe, awkward ice-cream, awkward fish, awkward whale, fail whale... :-) they all have different contexts...

Can we swap? You can have some moderate GCSE grades and a BONSAi TREE!!! :smile:

Different contexts? How?..? XD

Make it 2 trees and maybe. haha x
Reply 1599
Original post by Chqr
Wow, you guys are talking at a way higher standard than I thought was needed. Are you guys retakers or Upper Sixth or am I on the wrong board?

The January 2011 Paper was about Cholera first question and Lungs last question?

I believe were all lower sixth on here (year 12).. well I am anyway.
Majority of the time I dont understand some of the things they are saying when they use language I haven't learnt. Just learn your mark schemes for questions and you will be fine :smile: x

Latest

Trending

Trending