Aqa a2 chem5 19th june 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abbieastoria
Write down the rainbow song

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I might just do that :biggrin:

[QUOTE="TheRenaissanceMan;38200032"]
Original post by Matthew692692
It becomes [Fe(H2O)3(OH)3] which you should know the colour of (the Fe2+ oxidises to Fe3+)

"An excess of dilute ammonia solution is added to an aqueous solution containing
iron(II) ions in a test tube that is then left to stand for some time.
State and explain what you would observe."

Mark Scheme says: Allow Fe(OH)2 oxidised to Fe(OH)3 by air / O2

Wait wut? I get the colours its just the Hydroxide thing threw me off :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Fe(OH)2 is the same as [Fe(H2O)4(OH)2] etc
Original post by wibletg
Wrong :P
Their definition for enthalpy of solution in the NT textbook was in the 'do not accept' column of June 11 :P

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191

Ouch. Here I was giving AQA the benefit of the doubt.

Well. A wound to pride. I'm doomed tomorrow.
Reply 1182
Original post by CollateralElement
What??! They should! It's in my BOOKS - plural. Both CGP and Collins. Surely they BOTH can't be wrong.

I got taught straw coloured solution, but yet again had to adapt to the pale yellow-brown coloured solution given in my book :tongue: I think it's better to remember the pale brown because it kind of helps you with the dark brown solution formed when it's oxidised :smile:
Original post by . .
Richard Of York Gave Blood In Vein

I'll do even better, I'll list the colours of the coat in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
Reply 1184
Original post by xXACEXx
When drawing the shapes how do you know whether to draw an arrow or a straight line??

Straight line covalent. (One electron donated from each atom).

Arrow is co-ordinate. (Two electrons a.k.a lone pair donated from one atom to a electron deficient atom)

They are just drawn differently but property wise they are both identical.
Reply 1185
so i should say it's pale brown not straw coloured?! argh omg gonna die the exam is in the afternoon isnt it plz omg what if i sleep through it omg
Original post by JJMick
The ligand must be bidentate, so it forms 6 co-ordinate bonds in total :smile:

Ok. It says, PR is a multidentate ligand.

Then it shows the reaction of it with [Fe(H20)6]2+ as [FePR(H20)2]2+ ....Then it says molecule is attached to PR, Cyanide and additional unidentate ligand...

How is it 6?
Reply 1187
What??! They should! It's in my BOOKS - plural. Both CGP and Collins. Surely they BOTH can't be wrong.

On one paper (can't remember which) it said do not accept shades of brown such as straw.
Reply 1188
Original post by Matthew692692
I'll do even better, I'll list the colours of the coat in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat

I was going to bring some colours into the exam but it is photocopied so will just show up as black and white. :frown:
Hey, I just posted this in the edexcel thread by accident, so reposting it here now :P
I'm wondering, is an autocatalysis graph curve a positive or negative corrolation?
I know it starts at a slow rate, speeds up, and then slows down due to the reactants running out, but I've seen two contradicting answers in mark schemes.
...or could they be both right?
Original post by Bugsy
I got taught straw coloured solution, but yet again had to adapt to the pale yellow-brown coloured solution given in my book :tongue: I think it's better to remember the pale brown because it kind of helps you with the dark brown solution formed when it's oxidised :smile:

Ah. I see what you did there.. Excellent! I shall try and replace that in my mind :biggrin:
Original post by Bugsy

They allow straw on Q7 a) i) on Jan 11
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM5-W-MS-JAN11.PDF
Reply 1192
What is the full equation of the reduction of Cr2O72- to Cr2+ by Zn?
Original post by JJMick
On one paper (can't remember which) it said do not accept shades of brown such as straw.

Dammit. Colours!

Ok. Brown. Brown.. I can remember. It's Pale Brown isn't it?
Reply 1194
Original post by myoaontw
so i should say it's pale brown not straw coloured?! argh omg gonna die the exam is in the afternoon isnt it plz omg what if i sleep through it omg

Original post by Bugsy

Guys, look at Jan 11 paper question 7, then look at mark scheme. It says don't accept shades of brown :/
Original post by hannabanna
Hey, I just posted this in the edexcel thread by accident, so reposting it here now :P
I'm wondering, is an autocatalysis graph curve a positive or negative corrolation?
I know it starts at a slow rate, speeds up, and then slows down due to the reactants running out, but I've seen two contradicting answers in mark schemes.
...or could they be both right?

Curves have gradients, not correlation. The gradient is shallow at first (it is negative) and it gets steeper as the reaction takes place
Reply 1196
[Cr(H2O)6]2+ What colour is this. I've learnt it as a yellow solution but it said brown in a mark scheme I think :frown:

Also how is a spectrometer different to a calorimeter?
Reply 1197
Original post by Moi786
[Cr(H2O)6]2+ What colour is this. I've learnt it as a yellow solution but it said brown in a mark scheme I think :frown:

Also how is a spectrometer different to a calorimeter?

I didn't think we needed to know the 2+ one?
Original post by JJMick
Guys, look at Jan 11 paper question 7, then look at mark scheme. It says don't accept shades of brown :/

Thats is for [Co(NH3)6]3+ part i accepts straw coloured because it is asking about [Co(NH3)6]2+
Original post by myoaontw
coordination number is number of electron pairs donated, so if it's a bidentate ligand, there'll still be 6 coordinate bonds (i think)

It says, PR is a multidentate ligand.

Then it shows the reaction of it with [Fe(H20)6]2+ as [FePR(H20)2]2+ ....Then it says molecule is attached to PR, Cyanide and additional unidentate ligand...

How is it 6?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending