The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

World cities is seriously stressing me out, I've done a bit for weather and tectonics but there's way more case studies and I just cant grasp how I'm supposed to remember them all. The ones that I do have are pretty much nondescript and just a brief summary of the area. For example my case study for Reurbanisation is the London Docklands, but I have no specific details about it :/
Reply 381
Can anybody tell me whether we need to know the Ash/Cinder cone type of volcano?

I have the others (Composite, shield, fissure, etc) and was just wondering whether we need this one as the spec doesn't mention any specific types/shape you should know.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Original post by Heyimdec
Can anybody tell me whether we need to know the Ash/Cinder cone type of volcano?

I have the others (Composite, shield, fissure, etc) and was just wondering whether we need this one as the spec doesn't mention any specific types/shape you should know.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

I think ash/cinder and composite are pretty similar. Composite is a general term for a volcano made up of multiple layers. There is no set in stone system of categorising volcanoes, as long as you know the general differences between a shield and a stratovolcano for example - lava viscosity, gas content, where they occur etc. you'll be fine
Can anyone successfully explain the Jet Stream and Rossby waves? Also, how do both of these affect climate in the UK?

I have a general idea of what the jet stream is and how it's sort of formed, but all explanations of Rossby Waves seem absurdly complex.

Would be really appreciated, thanks.
Reply 384
Original post by lukas1051
I think ash/cinder and composite are pretty similar. Composite is a general term for a volcano made up of multiple layers. There is no set in stone system of categorising volcanoes, as long as you know the general differences between a shield and a stratovolcano for example - lava viscosity, gas content, where they occur etc. you'll be fine

As this fine gentleman said, your best bet is looking at composites in depth and also revising shields, fissures and possibly calderas for comparisons as discussion points in case of a question such as 'Discuss whether or not different types of volcanoes effect the level of hazard of volcano presents'. Definitely nail magma types (Basaltic and andesitic, rhyolitic is un-needed depth if you're going to compare composite/shield for example), distribution etc.
Reply 385
Hey guys! so i'm STRESSING out about this because i also have a 3 hour business exam on the same day :frown: but anyway, have any of your teachers said any questions they think might come up? (i'm doing weather, plate tectonics and world cities)
ALSO, will someone be nice enough to tell me what case studies they have for world cities? :smile:
Reply 386
Has anybody else got to the stage where they've reviewed all their topics and don't know what to do next in terms of revision?
Reply 387
I'm doing Tectonics, Weather, World Cities and Conflict (which I detest) but anyway.. thinking of doing a physical essay ideas of what could come up?

For world cities don't think regen/UDCs/partnerships will come up as they have come up lotsss
think seismic stuff has come up alot for tectonics but you never knoww!!
conflict maybz multicultural?
weather.. who knows!
Started revising this week, finished plates, working my way through weather, aiming to finish work cities by Sunday :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Any estimates for tectonics, world cites, conflict or weather?? Debating not learning weather!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by LauraaB
Hey guys! so i'm STRESSING out about this because i also have a 3 hour business exam on the same day :frown: but anyway, have any of your teachers said any questions they think might come up? (i'm doing weather, plate tectonics and world cities)
ALSO, will someone be nice enough to tell me what case studies they have for world cities? :smile:

Urban regeneration - london docklands
partnership scheme - hulme
property led regeneration - greenwich millennium village
Gentrification - Notting Hill
Out of town retailing - Merry Hill
Redevelopment of urban centres - Birmingham
Reply 391
Does anyone have any other past papers that are not on the AQA website?
Reply 392
we did the 2012 jan paper as a mock if you want those questions? but the same stuff wont come up again in june :smile: i only have the devt and globalisation, world cities, weather and tectonics questions...want them?
Original post by Birdman
Does anyone have any other past papers that are not on the AQA website?

(see below!! forgot to quote!)
For development - the whole question in January 2012 was on socioeconomic groupings - do you think it will come up again in June? Just that I HATE that topic so much kinda want to leave it out! :P
Reply 396
Original post by vanessaxd
urban regeneration - london docklands
partnership scheme - hulme
property led regeneration - greenwich millennium village
gentrification - notting hill
out of town retailing - merry hill
redevelopment of urban centres - birmingham

thank you!! :d
Reply 397
Original post by 05keenhannah
(see below!! forgot to quote!)

Thanks!
Hey guys, I was just wondering if someone could help me. Basically, I have started revision already by making notes and posters for 2 out of my 3 topics, however I havent done much else, due to the fact that I had 4 exams already, all maths modules, between the 16th-31st May, so have dedicated my time to revising them. Geography is now my next exam, and I was wondering if I have left it too late to properly revise? Seeing as I also have 6 more exams, one the day after geography that's very important etc. Also, I was wondering if anyone also had some revision tips in general, I already have my posters which are good, but just something else to re-enforce the information as well? Many thanks for your help!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Birdman
Thanks!

hey :smile:

Jan 2012
Long questions:
Tectonics: to what extent can preparedness and planning mitigate the effects of volcanic hazards

Weather: to what extent can preparedness and planning mitigate the effects of tropical revolving storms

World Cities: cant remember the exact question and cant find it anywhere but it was something to do with sustainable urban areas (transport and waste management anyway)

Short answers:
tectonics:
mercalli scale
seismic waves (types)

weather:
cant really do the 7 mark one without the diagrams but it was about changes in global temp, snow cover and sea level...just had to describe
predicted consequences of global warming on a tropical climate
international responses to global warming

world cities:
description of a regenerated area from a photograph
processes and effects of counter-urbanisation
problems and management in a recently urbanised area

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending