The Student Room Group

Picking options in year 9

Poll

Based on experience, what would you pick, history or geography?

I am currently studying in year 9 and I want to know what options I should pick that can help me get into childcare in the future. I think I might go for Health and social care, but I also need advice on other subjects that I could study - I cannot decide between history and geography, and my school has limited options that we can pick from.

I am really stressed at the moment because I have missed 2 years of learning, as has everyone else, and I have had a relative pass due to covid, so I haven't been myself lately. Any advice would help. Thanks.
Reply 1
honestly i did not pick either because i did triple science health n social n photogrophy
i would advise dont do either its hard boring and stressful
thank you. Very helpful.
Reply 3
Original post by sarahlovessummer
I am currently studying in year 9 and I want to know what options I should pick that can help me get into childcare in the future. I think I might go for Health and social care, but I also need advice on other subjects that I could study - I cannot decide between history and geography, and my school has limited options that we can pick from.

I am really stressed at the moment because I have missed 2 years of learning, as has everyone else, and I have had a relative pass due to covid, so I haven't been myself lately. Any advice would help. Thanks.

Can you pick both?
no need to get so stressed - youre in y9. this is the penultimate or final year before real stress begins so enjoy it. i wouldnt really say missing year 7 and 8 are missing 2 years of learning as everything you learn in those years is useless once you start gcses. so just enjoy life
Original post by af'slrnjffa
Can you pick both?

my school does not give the option to pick both because of the limited staff and resources.

because of choosing options late, I was told that I could only pick one because of the limited spaces left, despite appealing because I had only missed school because of the loss of my 2yo brother.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by user8937264980
no need to get so stressed - youre in y9. this is the penultimate or final year before real stress begins so enjoy it. i wouldnt really say missing year 7 and 8 are missing 2 years of learning as everything you learn in those years is useless once you start gcses. so just enjoy life

Thanks, I just felt stressed because I am already finding some important subjects draining and i have been coping with the loss of my 2yo brother recently.
Reply 7
Hi! to pick your subjects you should see what you learn in each subject like the topics and the content and see what you are interested in out of that. You should also maybe pick subjects that open up multiple career paths as in the future you may decide to do something else. Hope this helps : )
Reply 8
my school does not give the option to pick both because of the limited staff and resources.

because of choosing options late, I was told that I could only pick one because of the limited spaces left, despite appealing because I had only missed school because of the loss of my 2yo brother.

I'm really sorry that happened to you

Your GCSEs choices don't really affect or limit what you can do in the future in terms of subject. So I'd say choose whatever you enjoy most. A-Levels need to be thought about much more, but for GCSE I would say pick whatever you like best.
Thanks, I just felt stressed because I am already finding some important subjects draining and i have been coping with the loss of my 2yo brother recently.

My condolences, what you should be doing right now is just resting. Don't worry about learning or anything (unless you're doing a language as GCSE language course starts from y9). Everything else you are learning right now will be scrapped when you start GCSEs next year. Just enjoy the sun and take care of yourself. Especially now its the summer term, doing school work doesnt mean much.

For reference I am in y13 predicted 3a* - just to reassure you that I am not some random guy who does no work and just encourages people to put no effort. It is just not worth you putting effort into school until y10 and given your circumstances.
Hi @sarahlovessummer.
I'm terribly sorry for your loss and I hope the situation you're facing gets better soon.
At the moment, try and focus on your wellbeing and looking after yourself, as it can be stressful for you at the moment, and you don't want to burn yourself out or feel worse.
About picking the gcses, just know that whatever subject you chose will not at all affect the outcome of whatever career you wish to do or your future whatsoever. As long as you pick something because you a) find the content interesting and that motivates you to study it b) because you feel like you would enjoy the course and c) which one you feel would give you the skills you want. It also helps to make a pros and cons list, because when I was picking my subjects a couple of months ago, that helped me organise my thoughts a lot.
Don't put too much stress into your subjects, as anyway you would be starting afresh and given plenty of guidance in september so just enjoy your summer and get good rest - mentally and physically.
I hope you have a good summer and look after yourself well!
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hi @sarahlovessummer.
I'm terribly sorry for your loss and I hope the situation you're facing gets better soon.
At the moment, try and focus on your wellbeing and looking after yourself, as it can be stressful for you at the moment, and you don't want to burn yourself out or feel worse.
About picking the gcses, just know that whatever subject you chose will not at all affect the outcome of whatever career you wish to do or your future whatsoever. As long as you pick something because you a) find the content interesting and that motivates you to study it b) because you feel like you would enjoy the course and c) which one you feel would give you the skills you want. It also helps to make a pros and cons list, because when I was picking my subjects a couple of months ago, that helped me organise my thoughts a lot.
Don't put too much stress into your subjects, as anyway you would be starting afresh and given plenty of guidance in september so just enjoy your summer and get good rest - mentally and physically.
I hope you have a good summer and look after yourself well!

Thank you, you don't know how much this means to me. I do really appreciate the advice and will honestly try to distract myself from this stress by speaking to my friend. This really helps, thanks. I also hope that you as a godsent angel do have a lovely summer aswell. Many thanks again, sarah.
Reply 12
Original post by af'slrnjffa
Can you pick both?

yh
but your school will say no
but get your parents to ring in and they will sort something out
Reply 13
Original post by areebah99
yh
but your school will say no
but get your parents to ring in and they will sort something out

just read chats above
my apologies about your brother
hope ur situitaion improves
https://quizlet.com/Kishna_Joshi/folders/geography?i=5443bn&x=1xqY This is helpful if you do choose geography.
Choose wisely!

i think you should choose whatever subject you like best it doesnt rlly matter about what subjects you choose now for your future career path ( thats mostlywhat subjects you take at a levels)
Reply 16
I did history because I enjoyed it and got 9s in it.I want to be a pediatrician and in the spec for history gcse includes medicine through time which helps.Honestly,just play to your strengths as A-levels are way more career-specific

Quick Reply

Latest