The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

oh god, kill me now, I think i will do the 40 marker on world cities cause thats easy. i would do it on tectonics but we're not allowed :mad: thank you
Reply 581
Has anyone got any good notes on intrusive features for vulcanicity? would very much appreciate it!
Could anyone give me a hand on the development continuum? I thought it was just the different groupings of nations, eg. the north-south divide, 1st and 3rd world, OPEC countries etc, but there was an odd question on a past paper that referred to breaking down of trade barriers and the container revolution? :/
Reply 583
How much would you guys roughly write for each of the 7, 8, and 10 mark questions? I know it depends on handwriting size and other things.

I'd typically write about 3/4 of a page for the 7 marks, a side for the 8 and 1.5 sides for the 10.

How much do you guys write? Just a rough idea would be great, thanks. :biggrin:
Original post by Heyimdec
How much would you guys roughly write for each of the 7, 8, and 10 mark questions? I know it depends on handwriting size and other things.

I'd typically write about 3/4 of a page for the 7 marks, a side for the 8 and 1.5 sides for the 10.

How much do you guys write? Just a rough idea would be great, thanks. :biggrin:

As much as I can.

I'm an extremely fast writer though.
Reply 585
Original post by emilysadlerx
Oh really I hate that I really don't understand the inter tropical convergence zone :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

i don't really get the itcz andssociated hazards eitherr :frown:
Anyone know a good MEDC case study for volcanoes other than Montserrat? There are just too many dates and details to remember.
Reply 587
Original post by Anthony Ani
Anyone know a good MEDC case study for volcanoes other than Montserrat? There are just too many dates and details to remember.

Chaiten in Chile?
Reply 588

Pretty sure montserrat's an LEDC. Eyjafjallajokull is an example of an MEDC eruption, also Mt Etna.
Couldn't agree more about the dates...the more I try to learn the more painful it gets :mad:
Original post by nickss
Pretty sure montserrat's an LEDC. Eyjafjallajokull is an example of an MEDC eruption, also Mt Etna.
Couldn't agree more about the dates...the more I try to learn the more painful it gets :mad:

Sorry...I meant Mt. Etna. It has erupted over 5 times and I need to learn how each eruption was managed. Its very tiring. Is Eyjafjallajokull any easier to learn?
Reply 590
The grade boundaries are fairly low on this exam- last year you needed 58 out of 90 for an A.

Positive: You only need around 64% for an A.

Negative: low grade boundaries indicate that this is probably a bloody hard exam.
Reply 591
Sorry...I meant Mt. Etna. It has erupted over 5 times and I need to learn how each eruption was managed. Its very tiring. Is Eyjafjallajokull any easier to learn?

Yeah it's really easy, nobody was killed, the only real thing to learn is how the ash cloud affected northern europe -i.e the airlines/halt to transport. Makes it nice and easy to be synoptic as well; can say how it cost the airline industry $1.7bn and impacted 10million people across Europe. Can also say that due to the unpredictability of the event, management was almost impossible.
What are people's volcano case studies? We have done Mt Pinatubo (Phillipines) and Kilaeua (Hawaii) but can hardly find any info for the Hawaiian one!

Does anybody know if there are any revision notes online?
Original post by Harry.K
The grade boundaries are fairly low on this exam- last year you needed 58 out of 90 for an A.

Positive: You only need around 64% for an A.

Negative: low grade boundaries indicate that this is probably a bloody hard exam.

w
i need 69/120 ums for a B overall i think so how many marks is this? roughly half marks? so confused. i need to get into uniiiiiiiiiiiiii
Reply 594
w
i need 69/120 ums for a B overall i think so how many marks is this? roughly half marks? so confused. i need to get into uniiiiiiiiiiiiii

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

A2
Jan2012
GEOGUNIT3A

For 69 UMS, you need 37 raw marks.

37/90 = 41%

You need 41% in this exam for your B. Basically, so long as nothing wierd comes up its safe to say you have that B.
Reply 595
Original post by tehforum
As much as I can.

I'm an extremely fast writer though.

O ye Shakespeare.

How I envy your fast writing skills.
Original post by nickss
Started as a magnitude 9.0 Richter scale earthquake 70km off of the east coast of Japan, tsunami was a secondary hazard (much like Indonesia - same plate structure etc.)
Tsunami waves travelled up to 10km inland, submerging coastal cities such as Sendai, and a massive amount of farming land.

As the plate boundary was destructive, the land fell by around 2m which left
coastal defences inadequate (such as Sendai tsunami wall 10m high - breached as high of wave was 12.5m). This bit shows how Japan was prepared, but didn't take into account unpredictable shifts in the height of land.

Tsunami + earthquake led to approximately 18000 deaths (including those 'missing') - costliest natural disaster to date ($235 bn (2011 USD)). Also, the threat of a nucleur disaster at Fukushima let to massive social and political impacts on the surrounding areas, mass evacuation of the area meant huge implications on the population. = had an impact equivalent to 4% if Japan's GDP.

Hope this kinda helped :tongue:

Oh also, Japan has an advanced warning system; a warning message was sent to the phones of residents/on tv/on google -> high level of preperadness.

Reply 597
Does anyone have any notes on Eyjafjallajokull 2010 eruption they'd be willing to share? :biggrin:
right ive got to the point where ive realised i cant revise everything! so i need to revise the vital stuff
what do you think i MUST revise for in conflict, plates, world cities and weather?? some please help! :frown:
Reply 599
right ive got to the point where ive realised i cant revise everything! so i need to revise the vital stuff
what do you think i MUST revise for in conflict, plates, world cities and weather?? some please help! :frown:

Why can't you revise for everything? Just cram for the next week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending