The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Has anybody got any ideas for the World Cities Short Answer Questions? I find this topic so hard to revise as there are so many case studies and would love to be able to confidently miss some things out!
Reply 981
Original post by Stevelady
I find this quite hard too, I think with regards to management it means things like building quake-proof houses and having monitoring stations, and with response it's things like what the Government do to try and re-build cities etc. and also like with Mount Etna how they tried to stop the lava flow... I think! If anyone else has any ideas that would be great :redface:

Thanks aha , I kinda thought by response they meant what they did ''immediately'' after the event and in the future as well such as building earthquake proof care units like they did in California after the 1994 quake :s
Reply 982
Original post by Imsocrazy
Thanks aha , I kinda thought by response they meant what they did ''immediately'' after the event and in the future as well such as building earthquake proof care units like they did in California after the 1994 quake :s

Yeah there are immediate responses and secondary responses, immediate ones being like evacuating people etc... I think anyway, it's not really clear in any of my notes but quite a lot falls under "responses"
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 05keenhannah
hey :smile: if you like plate tectonic theory can you explain it to me?! i reallllyy dont understand it at all and would be screwed if the essay came up but i really want to do the tectonics essay!! thanks :smile: x

Erm... it's a pretty extensive thing to explain in a forum post, but I'll try to summarise it :tongue: plate tectonics is basically the theory that the Earth's crust is not stationary and permanent, but rather made up of plates. Up until about 100 years ago it was generally considered that the arrangement of the Earth - the layout of the continents and the oceans, is as it was when the Earth was formed and has never changed, but plate tectonics suggests the continents actually move over very long timescales. The theory is underpinned by the fact that there are two types of crust - continental crust which is thick, buoyant and 'old' (ie. it was formed billions of years ago) which floats on top of the mantle, and oceanic crust which is thin, dense and 'new'. Heat produced deep inside the Earth due to energy left over from its formation as well as radioactive material creates convection cells in the mantle - hot mantle rises and sinks as it cools down creating loops of moving mantle, and the moving mantle drags along the crust above it. Where two convection cells meet and diverge at the crust, you get a divergent plate boundary, it is here that oceanic crust is formed when it rises through the gap, which is why oceanic crust is 'new'. Because the earth is not changing in size, this means that there are boundaries where plates converge, and material is destroyed. The clearest example of diverging plates on Earth (ie. sea floor spreading) is in the Atlantic ocean, which is why the left and right sides of the Atlantic appear to fit together (especially Africa & S. America), because they were actually together at some point. Conversely there is destruction on the other side of the world, notably at the Marianas trench in south-east Asia where the Pacific plate is subducting beneath the Philippine plate, and also on the west coast of S. America where the Nazca plate is subducting beneath the S. American plate.

I hope this explanation is OK and has helped, it's purely from memory so feel free to correct me anyone if I've made some factual errors. :smile: (and apologies for the lack of paragraphs, I suck at paragraphing)
If it is only oceanic crust that is created (at ocean ridges) and destroyed (at trenches) then how comes rift valleys can form at continental crust, such as the Great African Rift valley? confuseddd
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey, sorry but I keep thinking up questions to ask!

Anyway, I was just wondering, but in World Cities, when it says in the spec "Decentralisation of retailing and other services" I just have to double check that this means where retailing is now more outside the city centre due to increased mobility etc etc? thanks :smile:

I learn decentralisation

- Increased mobility
- out of town centres have more space for car parking, verry little congestion
- Cheaper land prices + more space available
- Greater disposable income so greater demand for retailing services
- Social activity increase in demand for restaurants, cinemas ect
- More planning policies encouraging building on brown field sites
Original post by acedlol
Tsunamis will never be 40 marker.

Not enough for theory.

Don't have to learn case studies for tsunamis.

Yeh definately wont be 40 marker..... otherwise our teachers would have told us learn more case study specifics

Im 70% sure that essay will be on plate tectonic theory or seismicity :biggrin:
Original post by smellycat123
If it is only oceanic crust that is created (at ocean ridges) and destroyed (at trenches) then how comes rift valleys can form at continental crust, such as the Great African Rift valley? confuseddd

What will probably happen in the distant future (tens of millions of years) is that Africa will break into two pieces, and oceanic crust will fill the gap created. The Great African Rift Valley is quite complex, I believe it's in the process of forming a new plate boundary, but I don't know, I haven't really studied it. I wouldn't worry about it though, we don't need to know about anything that complex.
Original post by lukas1051
Erm... it's a pretty extensive thing to explain in a forum post, but I'll try to summarise it :tongue: plate tectonics is basically the theory that the Earth's crust is not stationary and permanent, but rather made up of plates. Up until about 100 years ago it was generally considered that the arrangement of the Earth - the layout of the continents and the oceans, is as it was when the Earth was formed and has never changed, but plate tectonics suggests the continents actually move over very long timescales. The theory is underpinned by the fact that there are two types of crust - continental crust which is thick, buoyant and 'old' (ie. it was formed billions of years ago) which floats on top of the mantle, and oceanic crust which is thin, dense and 'new'. Heat produced deep inside the Earth due to energy left over from its formation as well as radioactive material creates convection cells in the mantle - hot mantle rises and sinks as it cools down creating loops of moving mantle, and the moving mantle drags along the crust above it. Where two convection cells meet and diverge at the crust, you get a divergent plate boundary, it is here that oceanic crust is formed when it rises through the gap, which is why oceanic crust is 'new'. Because the earth is not changing in size, this means that there are boundaries where plates converge, and material is destroyed. The clearest example of diverging plates on Earth (ie. sea floor spreading) is in the Atlantic ocean, which is why the left and right sides of the Atlantic appear to fit together (especially Africa & S. America), because they were actually together at some point. Conversely there is destruction on the other side of the world, notably at the Marianas trench in south-east Asia where the Pacific plate is subducting beneath the Philippine plate, and also on the west coast of S. America where the Nazca plate is subducting beneath the S. American plate.

I hope this explanation is OK and has helped, it's purely from memory so feel free to correct me anyone if I've made some factual errors. :smile: (and apologies for the lack of paragraphs, I suck at paragraphing)

How would you use this in an essay and apply case studies? I get the theory but dont understand how you could write 40 marks
Original post by lukas1051

thanks :smile: you're so lucky to have all that from memory!! haha xx
Reply 990
If anyone's looking for topics that haven't come up yet then i found this list on here from a while ago...

Things that haven’t come up YET.....

tectonics:
intrusive activity, tsunamis, landforms at plate boundaries, convection currents, palaeomagnetism, types of volcanoes and associated hazards, management of volcanic hazards

weather:
atmospheric circulation and surface winds, climate of UK, tropical climate (monsoon/ savanna), tropical revolving storms (causes, impact, management, responses), evidence for and causes of global warming

world cities:
economic development and change related to urbanisation, re-urbanisation (causes+effects), property-led regeneration, causes+impacts of decentralisation of retailing

development and globalisation:
patterns of production, distribution and consumption; initial growth of NICs; growth in the 21st century (BRICs); trade and aid.

Intrusive Activity Hasn’t come up yet.

Sorry if posted before
Reply 991
Hi guys,

Im struggling with the characteristics and causes of urban decline, the book only gives a case study and i can't really get much from it, does anybody have any points to help me?

Thanks
Original post by mynameiswills
How would you use this in an essay and apply case studies? I get the theory but dont understand how you could write 40 marks

It depends on what the question is asking. For a start, I didn't provide any evidence for plate tectonics, only outlined the theory, there is a lot to say with regards to evidence. I don't think it's really necessary to provide a lot of detail when it comes to event case studies because things like their impacts and management aren't really relevant, but the nature of the events can be quite relevant. The examiners will appreciate that theory based questions won't provide as much ground for case studies though, but it's good to mention places for the synoptic marks :smile:
Original post by 05keenhannah
thanks :smile: you're so lucky to have all that from memory!! haha xx

Lol no worries... as I said this is the stuff I enjoy reading about in my spare time and want to study at uni (I'm crazy, I know) so it's kinda ingrained into my memory... ask me a question about World Cities and I'd be ****ing useless :tongue:
Reply 994
Original post by TheShore
If anyone's looking for topics that haven't come up yet then i found this list on here from a while ago...

Things that haven’t come up YET.....

tectonics:
intrusive activity, tsunamis, landforms at plate boundaries, convection currents, palaeomagnetism, types of volcanoes and associated hazards, management of volcanic hazards

Is this things like Island arcs at oceanic/ oceanic and ocean trenches and fold mountains and continental/oceanic?

weather:
atmospheric circulation and surface winds, climate of UK, tropical climate (monsoon/ savanna), tropical revolving storms (causes, impact, management, responses), evidence for and causes of global warming

For Monsoon, would you use India and how the different heating of the land/sea provides different amounts of rainfall etc?:colondollar:

development and globalisation:
patterns of production, distribution and consumption; initial growth of NICs; growth in the 21st century (BRICs); trade and aid.

I'm pretty sure I saw you explain this to somebody else but does anybody been taught an indepth case study on this?

Very useful post, thanks. Will +rep when I get some more:biggrin:
Reply 995
Does anyone have a copy of the Jan 2012 paper?

Also I'm bricking it for this exam! I do Development and Globalisation (has to be a structured question) and then Ecosystems and Plate Tectonics/Hazards :smile:
For ecosystems do we only need to know 1 example of a succession like lithosphere or do we need to know more?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 997
Original post by nickss
Think this worked :tongue:

Original post by Peachy800
Does anyone have a copy of the Jan 2012 paper?

Also I'm bricking it for this exam! I do Development and Globalisation (has to be a structured question) and then Ecosystems and Plate Tectonics/Hazards :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1912173&page=22&p=37901428&highlight=#post37901428

Last post on that page
Reply 998
Up early to revise this bad boy! :tongue:
Reply 999
Original post by popnit
Up early to revise this bad boy! :tongue:

Me too... let's see how that goes haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending