The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by gl71994
Nope major extrusive are the types of volcano pretty much, so you've got composite, ash, cinder, shield, caldera, lava plateaux etc

Expression of conflict is basically the categories of conflict- so you've got Non-violent, political action, terrorism, insurrection and war. Define them and maybe throw a few examples in too, e.g Orange revolution for non-violent, 9/11 for terrorism etc :smile:

I see what you mean!

I was thinking volcanic bombs, pyroclasts as they are extrusive activity - rather than extrusive landforms.

So you have:

Intrusive: Laccolith, Dykes etc
Minor Extrusive: geysir, solfatara
Major extrusive: Shiled volcanoes

Extrusive activity: Pyroclasts etc
Reply 1181
Original post by LGrosvenor101
For your monsoon, thats your optional tropical climate isnt it? Like, I am doing tropical wet and dry climate in Africa? :smile: just double checking :P thanks :smile:

yeahah oops! forgot to say tropical climate! and i forgot to mention the storm one! but do you have any idea what could come up for weather short questions? i'm thinking it could be to do with tropical climate and the itcz but not surey
Reply 1182
Original post by stellz
Hey guys, are seismic events only earthquakes or are volcanoes included in there too??

Broadly speaking yes. It is worth noting that seismic events (large amounts of earthquakes) do occur leading up to a volcanic eruption due to the activity on the plate margin, but I can't see a situation where this could be remotely built into a question about seismic events so stick with earthquakes :smile: Oh, tsunamis are also relevant as they are a secondary event, caused by a seismic event, so worth bringing into 40 markers (especially if it is in relation to the impacts and what not, that'd be a dream to compare boxing day EQ to Japan '11 EQ)
Hello fellow geographers! Hope you're all busy cramming for the exam on Wednesday :wink:

Quick question: for plate tectonics, the earthquake case studies I have learnt are the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami and the 2011 Tōhoku tsunami. I haven't learnt the Sichuan earthquake of 2008 or Northridge 1994. Is doing only two case studies for this enough do you think? It seems like other people have done the two tsunamis and Sichuan, why?

Also, for volcanoes, I've done Chaitén and Etna, is this what other people are doing?

Final question :P Who is just doing 3 topics? i.e. I'm not really bothering with development and globalisation, just doing weather, plate tectonics and world cities.

Thanks in advance!

Good luck :biggrin:
Considering past papers for pt do you think the focus will be more on volcanoes or seismic?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1185
Original post by DavidCrow
Only other weather ones I can think of are:

Great Storm 1987
London Smog 1952
Pollution policies - e.g. what they do in Athens, Los Angeles, Mexico City etc

yeaah oh god forgot about that! so if it was about atmospheric pressure + winds what would the other questions be because they normally tie together! hm!
hoping the 10 marker will be on tropical climate?:L but then my teacher said because anticyclones haven't come up have they?x
Good luck to everyone on Wednesday- just. don't. PANIC. :biggrin:
Original post by scared!
yeahah oops! forgot to say tropical climate! and i forgot to mention the storm one! but do you have any idea what could come up for weather short questions? i'm thinking it could be to do with tropical climate and the itcz but not surey

I was going to say, don't get me worried saying I need to know the monsoon, when I know that I'm doing the tropical wet and dry! :L and ummm... I'm thinking either the tropical ITCZ etc, or something to do with British weather, origins and nature of anticyclones? :/
Reply 1188
Original post by d_aan
I see what you mean!

I was thinking volcanic bombs, pyroclasts as they are extrusive activity - rather than extrusive landforms.

So you have:

Intrusive: Laccolith, Dykes etc
Minor Extrusive: geysir, solfatara
Major extrusive: Shiled volcanoes

Extrusive activity: Pyroclasts etc

Extrusive activity simply refers to the activity caused by extrusive landforms, so you're right with things such as flows, ash clouds, lava, lahaars, etc etc. It's probably only worth learning the details of 2 maximum, ones that are relevant to your case studies (Unexpected pyroclastic flow at St Helens or the effects the ash cloud had in Iceland '10 and why)
Original post by Shinobi911
Hello fellow geographers! Hope you're all busy cramming for the exam on Wednesday :wink:

Quick question: for plate tectonics, the earthquake case studies I have learnt are the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami and the 2011 Tōhoku tsunami. I haven't learnt the Sichuan earthquake of 2008 or Northridge 1994. Is doing only two case studies for this enough do you think? It seems like other people have done the two tsunamis and Sichuan, why?

Also, for volcanoes, I've done Chaitén and Etna, is this what other people are doing?

Final question :P Who is just doing 3 topics? i.e. I'm not really bothering with development and globalisation, just doing weather, plate tectonics and world cities.

Thanks in advance!

I am cramming away! :P And that's absolutely fine! You just need to seismic and two volcanic case studies are each from contrasting areas of the world, so that is fine! We did Sichuan as that's the one that we researched in class :smile: I'm doing Eyafol- (Just going to write Icelandic of 2010 :wink: ) and Montserrat for volcanic eruptions :P

Finally, I was only taught 3 topics in the first place, the same as the ones you chose, world cities, plate tectonics and weather and climate. I can't be bothered to revise a weather essay, as tectonics is a smaller unit anyway :P
Which physical essay are you planning on doing? :smile:
Reply 1190
I was going to say, don't get me worried saying I need to know the monsoon, when I know that I'm doing the tropical wet and dry! :L and ummm... I'm thinking either the tropical ITCZ etc, or something to do with British weather, origins and nature of anticyclones? :/

hahaha oop! sorry heheh! and yeahh thinking that too, i may not revise climate change as that was the focus for the last paperr! its getting too near the day to learn stuff that shouldn't come up.. my luck it wil!:L
Reply 1191

Thanks in advance!

I've learnt the two tsunamis, Northridge and Pakistan '04. Reasoning behind this is these offer very good MEDC v LEDC points in every aspect, and whilst I'll be picking and choosing two of them to focus on if a relevant 40 marker arrises I'll also be able to draw in relevant points from the other two to back up the points I've been making.

Volcanoes = St Helen's & Pinatubo in detail, then just smaller ones relevant to other volcano types such as Kilaeua for shields etc. Also have examples for intrusive and minor extrusive but I don't think they'll be needed for an essay question.
Original post by scared!
hahaha oop! sorry heheh! and yeahh thinking that too, i may not revise climate change as that was the focus for the last paperr! its getting too near the day to learn stuff that shouldn't come up.. my luck it wil!:L

Lol its ok :P and I think its going to come up on the weather essay, which I am gladly not doing! :biggrin: And I know... although world cities is still not my favourite thing... although I am starting to come around from my hatred of it :P
Reply 1193
Original post by Stoof
I've learnt the two tsunamis, Northridge and Pakistan '04. Reasoning behind this is these offer very good MEDC v LEDC points in every aspect, and whilst I'll be picking and choosing two of them to focus on if a relevant 40 marker arrises I'll also be able to draw in relevant points from the other two to back up the points I've been making.

Volcanoes = St Helen's & Pinatubo in detail, then just smaller ones relevant to other volcano types such as Kilaeua for shields etc. Also have examples for intrusive and minor extrusive but I don't think they'll be needed for an essay question.

I didn't think personally we could do St Helens because it isn't as present as 30 years or something?
I am cramming away! :P And that's absolutely fine! You just need to seismic and two volcanic case studies are each from contrasting areas of the world, so that is fine! We did Sichuan as that's the one that we researched in class :smile: I'm doing Eyafol- (Just going to write Icelandic of 2010 :wink: ) and Montserrat for volcanic eruptions :P

Finally, I was only taught 3 topics in the first place, the same as the ones you chose, world cities, plate tectonics and weather and climate. I can't be bothered to revise a weather essay, as tectonics is a smaller unit anyway :P
Which physical essay are you planning on doing? :smile:

Hey fellow crammer ^^

Ooh, I might change to the ... Icelandic 2010 one, because Mt Etna is confusing (been erupting every year since 1992 or something crazy, so no definite date to go off).

So you're doing Sichuan and Indian Ocean?

You were only taught three, that must have allowed loads of extra time to revise/work on unit4 (a/b?)?

I prefer plate tectonics to weather, the case studies seem a lot easier to contrast and go into a good level of analysis on. Will hopefully do essay on plate tectonics (earthquake one would be amazing for me personally, best sub-topic), and then the 25 markers on weather and world cities. Lot of case studies for world cities though, so hope I don't get confused in the exam. Which are you hoping for? (for the essay)

Original post by Stoof

That's very thorough and organised, nice one! What are your other topics?

Same as above, isn't St Helen's a bit iffy, more than 30 years ago, my teacher told us not to risk it as our full blown case study just use it as minor details to pull in. Don't want to worry you, but thought you should know just in case you don't already

Hey fellow crammer ^^

Ooh, I might change to the ... Icelandic 2010 one, because Mt Etna is confusing (been erupting every year since 1992 or something crazy, so no definite date to go off).

So you're doing Sichuan and Indian Ocean?

You were only taught three, that must have allowed loads of extra time to revise/work on unit4 (a/b?)?

I prefer plate tectonics to weather, the case studies seem a lot easier to contrast and go into a good level of analysis on. Will hopefully do essay on plate tectonics (earthquake one would be amazing for me personally, best sub-topic), and then the 25 markers on weather and world cities. Lot of case studies for world cities though, so hope I don't get confused in the exam. Which are you hoping for? (for the essay)

Oh ok :smile: I am using Mt Etna, but only to state the good responses of diverting the flow of lava by blasting, if that does come up :P and well, sort of ish :s-smilie: We did a lot of Poole revision, but only finished weather like 2 lessons before study leave :L and earthquake one/tsunami essay would be lovely for me, plate tectonics is OK, obviously less case studies, but it has already come up, volcanoes has come up in essays too much times! :L World cities I might just blag, pretty much the same thing anyway, push pull factors etc :P, I haven't revised much for the weather essay, so am focusing greatly on the plate tectonics stuff :P
Oh ok :smile: I am using Mt Etna, but only to state the good responses of diverting the flow of lava by blasting, if that does come up :P and well, sort of ish :s-smilie: We did a lot of Poole revision, but only finished weather like 2 lessons before study leave :L and earthquake one/tsunami essay would be lovely for me, plate tectonics is OK, obviously less case studies, but it has already come up, volcanoes has come up in essays too much times! :L World cities I might just blag, pretty much the same thing anyway, push pull factors etc :P, I haven't revised much for the weather essay, so am focusing greatly on the plate tectonics stuff :P

Everyone seems to prefer plate tectonics, by an overwhelming majority!

So if the volcano essays have come up a lot, fingers crossed it will be earthquakes, can only hope!

Hope you do well :smile: thanks for answering my questions

Does anyone know what came up in January 2012 for this paper?

It might be good just to elimate a few topics!

Please quote me back ASAP if you find out! I've looked everywhere..
Earthquakes - Christchurch new Zealand and Haiti
Tsunami- indonesia 2004 and japan2011
Volcanic - eyjafjallajokull 2010 what other shall I do?????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending