The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LauraaB
do you think on the short wather questions they'll ask on global climate change? because i swear they've asked that not long ago!?

The Jan 2012 short weather questions were about climate change :smile:
What are everyone's predictions for:

- World Cities [25 Marks]
- Ecosystems [25 Marks]
- Plate Tectonics [40 Marks]

Anyone got any revision tips for tomorrow... Final Day Revising!

Cheers. :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
both! pattern so far is eq v v eq.........so who knows,my gut instinct is volcanoes but i really dont know!

multic and int.conflict defs to a wee bit on!!

tsunamis and intrusive landforms are both gaps in the papers so far!
Reply 1343
Original post by LGrosvenor101
The Jan 2012 short weather questions were about climate change :smile:

Thought so!! :biggrin: thanks!
Original post by kirstyjay
both! pattern so far is eq v v eq.........so who knows,my gut instinct is volcanoes but i really dont know!

multic and int.conflict defs to a wee bit on!!

tsunamis and intrusive landforms are both gaps in the papers so far!

There has only been 1 essay, to my belief, that has talked about JUST earthquakes, and that was a while ago, plus it was just volcanoes in January :smile:
Reply 1345
Tomorrow is going to be a big day revision wise, I'm going to make notes on everything possible haha. So Tsunami's,intusive activity,climate of the british isles and retailing to come up this year? that's what I seemed to have learnt from on here,at least then i can do some of these in detail last minute.
oh sorry i am talking about short questions...my bad :smile:
has anyone got an specimen questions ( short answers) for intrusive volcanic formations ?
Reply 1348
Original post by TheShore
Tomorrow is going to be a big day revision wise, I'm going to make notes on everything possible haha. So Tsunami's,intusive activity,climate of the british isles and retailing to come up this year? that's what I seemed to have learnt from on here,at least then i can do some of these in detail last minute.

for weather thinking ITCZ, tropical climate and maybe like causes of tropical revolving storms etc? or anticyclones then linking that to climate of british isles xx
Reply 1349
Original post by scared!
for weather thinking ITCZ, tropical climate and maybe like causes of tropical revolving storms etc? or anticyclones then linking that to climate of british isles xx

ahhh thanks.Yeah i don't think those have come up recently,it's just do i can focus on some like specifics,so i can remember small details instead of doing loooaddss a day before the exam. cheers!
hey guys, does anyone know what the typical grade boundries are for this exam? please dont tell me their usually high! cheers :smile:
I need to get 98/120 UMS for an A, such a mission. Have to average around 20 marks on each section which is possible. Any predictions for Plate Tectonics short question. Also World cities and Development short and long question predictions? I'm thinking TNCs or NICs will make an appearance
Reply 1352
Original post by JSR94
Not really a summary, but straight out of my notes:

SUBURBANISATION LOS ANGELES, USA
Background
oLocated south California, West USA
o3.8 million people in 2006
oYoung unskilled workers attracted to the area due to Hollywood and Beverly Hills, film and TV industry
oEffects: the movement of people and excessive amounts of suburbanisation causes urban sprawl.
•Why people moved:
oHome to TV and film industry, so workers have higher paid jobs
oHigher disposable incomes means that car ownership increases so commute to work
oOther services locate here as people can afford to use the service
oHigher incomes means people want larger houses with gardens and garages for family
oIncreased I.T technology allows people to work from home
oCan afford to provide children with private education so don’t have to live in catchment areas
oBetter quality of houses means a better standard of living
oOnly 7.8% in Beverly Hills do not own cars
oCertain races forced out due to migration of another race causes suburbanisation
oE.g. Compton is a poorer district where 28% do not own cars, populated with Hispanics.
When the Hispanic people moved into Compton, the previous race, of white ethnic background moved out. Causes LA to spread further out = Urban sprawl
•Problems
oMore congestion of cars travelling inner city
oPollution :air, noise, visual
oHigher crime rates in poorer districts e.g. Compton
oMore people have moved and located on the San Andreas Fault line which means more people at risk of earthquake
o60 people were killed in 1994 earthquake, 6.7 on Richter scale
oShortage of houses
oUrban sprawl, loss of rural areas, country side and villages. Social segregation, all wealthy in suburbs and poor are trapped.

Hope this helps :smile:

Will you be doing a human essay?

Awesome very helpful, thanks a lot :biggrin: and yeah I will, I'd rather do world cities so hoping the short questions for development & globalisation are good! How about you?
Reply 1353
Original post by james0714
hey guys, does anyone know what the typical grade boundries are for this exam? please dont tell me their usually high! cheers :smile:

June 2011:
A* 66/90
A 58/90
B 50/90
C 42/90

January 2012:
A* 62/90
A 54/90
B 46/90
C 39/90

Just to give a rough idea :smile: You're looking at about 70% for an A*, 60% for an A and so on... ish.
Does anyone know where I can find the JANUARY 2012 unit 3 paper?
I really can't call ecosystems, anyone at all have some predictions about what could come up for structured and the essay? I'm reeeaally hoping for global biodiversity.
Reply 1356
Original post by emilysadlerx

labelling features of a volcano?!? like what?

Like vent, magma chamber etc. that might come up mightn't it?
Reply 1357
Original post by Jajojef
Awesome very helpful, thanks a lot :biggrin: and yeah I will, I'd rather do world cities so hoping the short questions for development & globalisation are good! How about you?

Same, I would really like out of town retailing :smile:

But I am still really stuck on how to write a human essay, any tips would be greatly appreciated?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1358
Unlikely that depressions will come up for weather right as it already has? I haven't revised that... :redface:! More likely to be anticyclones i would of thought?
Reply 1359
any other examples of out of town retail centers like Merry Hill? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending