The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah-xx
Isn't that like Coca-Cola? they sell world wide? Not really sure though..

I think that person means global marketing and yeah Coca Cola is a global marketer as coca cola is sold in over 200 countries so you could talk about that
Reply 1581
I have taken the recent major extrusive questions and changed it to intrusive :smile:

Here is what I have written (using notes), would this be ok & get 8 marks?

Describe the characteristics of, and explain the formation of, intrusive volcanic activity. (8 marks)

There are three forms of intrusive activity; batholiths, dykes and sills. Batholiths are major intrusive features and dykes and sills are minor intrusive features.

Batholiths are large scale intrusive features. They were formed from huge masses of magma that cooled slowly within the earths crust. Subsequent erosion stripped away the overlying rocks, exposing part of the igneous mass at the surface. Because batholiths compromise resistant rocks such as granite and gabbro they form prominent uplands such as Dartmoor and Cairngorms.

Dykes are thin sheets of igneous rock intruded at a high angle to the inclination of older surrounding rocks. Large numbers of dykes occur in the Inner Hebrides on the islands of Mull and Skye. Some dykes extend over long distances. The Cleveland dyke runs from Mull in western Scotland to within a few kilometres of the North Sea near Scarborough.

Sills are thin horizontal sheets of magma. Where erosion of valley sides has exposed sills they often form cliffs and escarpments. The Great Whin Sill in northern England has a major effect on relief. It forms the steep cliffs at High Cup Nick in Cumbria; and a prominent escarpment followed by sections of Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland.

What do you all think? :smile:
Original post by swbp
I'm o expert, but from what i've read on here for plate tectonics intrusive activity, tsunamis, possibly the form of different volcanoes.

yeah thanks, i've just read through some of it and I think you may be right!
Original post by smellycat123
Has anybody got any notes on 'sustainable tourism' ? Or any advice on what to write about it if it came up in the exam?!

I did this in class, and I looked at Melbourne city's Cycling scheme as well as Hotel scheme (where they saved water!)

Hope that helps :biggrin:
I've got a question about PRIMARY/Secondary effects from the Tectonics Section - Is Primary just shaking and building collapsing. (as in, *just* after the EQ hits?)
Any ideas as to what the short questions on Ecosystems could be?!
Reply 1586
Original post by JSR94
I have taken the recent major extrusive questions and changed it to intrusive :smile:

Describe the characteristics of, and explain the formation of, intrusive volcanic activity. (8 marks)

There are three forms of intrusive activity; batholiths, dykes and sills. Batholiths are major intrusive features and dykes and sills are minor intrusive features.

Batholiths are large scale intrusive features. They were formed from huge masses of magma that cooled slowly within the earths crust. Subsequent erosion stripped away the overlying rocks, exposing part of the igneous mass at the surface. Because batholiths compromise resistant rocks such as granite and gabbro they form prominent uplands such as Dartmoor and Cairngorms.

Dykes are thin sheets of igneous rock intruded at a high angle to the inclination of older surrounding rocks. Large numbers of dykes occur in the Inner Hebrides on the islands of Mull and Skye. Some dykes extend over long distances. The Cleveland dyke runs from Mull in western Scotland to within a few kilometres of the North Sea near Scarborough.

Sills are thin horizontal sheets of magma. Where erosion of valley sides has exposed sills they often form cliffs and escarpments. The Great Whin Sill in northern England has a major effect on relief. It forms the steep cliffs at High Cup Nick in Cumbria; and a prominent escarpment followed by sections of Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland.

It's okay but maybe the adequate detail is still lacking. Saying that though, the only thing I can think of adding would be something related to rock types, possibly scale, you seemed to have ticked every other box.
Reply 1587
Original post by dzone25
You're right but I know a fair few people skipping things that came up in Jan 2012 and June 2011 entirely, although it's unlikely why not just go over it? But nope they just skip it fully AND some people are scimming through all topics that have come before, which I think is just silly because it's evident topics have come more than once so why ignore all previous topics.

Yeah, I see what you mean. I can understand people doing more work on topics that haven't come up yet, but not skipping or scimming.

Also, don't you need most of the physical stuff (i.e. types of volcanoes, lavas, itcz) etc to answer the 40 mark question to make it cover everything? Doing this would limit the amount you could write, and therefore your mark
how do people remember their case studies, I can't keep mine in my head :frown:
Reply 1589
Original post by hamza_dakid
I did this in class, and I looked at Melbourne city's Cycling scheme as well as Hotel scheme (where they saved water!)

Hope that helps :biggrin:

If you are just doing the structured question, how many of these schemes (and how many transport schemes) do you need? My teacher told us to get 4, but wouldn't two in detail and possibly one scimmed be enough to get the marks? The max it could be is 10 marks?
Original post by Harry.K

Draw a picture of the whole case study with smaller pictures showing the repsonse the impact etc. Made me remember case studies loads quicker :smile:
Reply 1591
Original post by Harry.K

I've tried learning one, then doing something else, then learning another if similar. For example, I have just learnt Kobe, Japan, and now I have come on here for a bit so I won't get the Haiti one muddled.

Really regretting leaving revision until today now, still got plate tectonic theory, a tsunami case study, most of weather and most of world cities to go :frown:

Do you think it's possible to leave weather and climate (minus air circulation, structure of the atmosphere and UHI) until tomorrow?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JSR94

Good, you might want to mention laccoliths as well though :smile:
Reply 1593
what is an example of bad earthquake management?? as in a case study?
Reply 1594
I haven't learnt any models, is that bad? :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1595
Original post by sbreezy
I haven't learnt any models, is that bad? :/

Models for?

World cities? Has anyone learnt friedman, rastow etc's models for world cities?!
Can someone please write a model answer for different types of volcanoes pleaaaaaase!

Reply 1597
so for the predicted out of town retailing question,

"Assess the impact of out-of-town centre retailing on the regions which they occur" 40 marks

What would everyone write???
Reply 1598
Original post by stellz
what is an example of bad earthquake management?? as in a case study?

You could possibly use the Kobe earthquake?

The short term response was bad: they rejected foreign aid, had no water to put out fires and had a slow response team, which could be one reason for the 6,000 death toll.
Original post by Jess9
I've tried learning one, then doing something else, then learning another if similar. For example, I have just learnt Kobe, Japan, and now I have come on here for a bit so I won't get the Haiti one muddled.

Really regretting leaving revision until today now, still got plate tectonic theory, a tsunami case study, most of weather and most of world cities to go :frown:

Do you think it's possible to leave weather and climate (minus air circulation, structure of the atmosphere and UHI) until tomorrow?!

Cheers for the advice! and erm, try and get as much as you can done today, and wake up fairly early tomorrow and try and cover anything you've missed out in the morning. I'm in a fairly similar position, will probably revise plate tectonics tomorrow morning.

So glad this exam isn't in the morning!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending