The Student Room Group

Can I sue this organisation? please help me with points of law!

Basically my parents are part of this community organisation. They organise religious get togethers and social events.

They also have a directory, with all the numbers, names and addresses of each member.

To become a member you need to sign a membership form. However they have included my name in the new directory without my consent. So my name and address is available for everyone to see. im really annoyed but on what grounds can i take them to court, or is it a criminal offence?

Whats the law on this?

Data protection? or anything else?

Many thanks in advance
Original post by Influenced
Basically my parents are part of this community organisation. They organise religious get togethers and social events.

They also have a directory, with all the numbers, names and addresses of each member.

To become a member you need to sign a membership form. However they have included my name in the new directory without my consent. So my name and address is available for everyone to see. im really annoyed but on what grounds can i take them to court, or is it a criminal offence?

Whats the law on this?

Data protection? or anything else?

Many thanks in advance

... Have you considered just asking them to remove your name? Accidents do happen.
Reply 2
Original post by gethsemane342
... Have you considered just asking them to remove your name? Accidents do happen.

Hey yeh ive asked them, but they've said they'll put a sticker on top of it, so it only reads my parents names! however the whole point is i havent given any consent. i asked for them to black marker pen the name on the page then a sticker, so if someone does take it off.. my name will not be visible. However im still waiting for a reply on this.
Original post by Influenced
Hey yeh ive asked them, but they've said they'll put a sticker on top of it, so it only reads my parents names! however the whole point is i havent given any consent. i asked for them to black marker pen the name on the page then a sticker, so if someone does take it off.. my name will not be visible. However im still waiting for a reply on this.

Tbh, if they've agreed to take out your name, I don't think you'd succeed in any kind of claim. Any damages you do claim probably won't cover litigation costs. And they're likely to want to arbitrate/mediate this. If the group refused, that'd be another matter. But since they're not, I imagine this was just a mistake.
Reply 4
suing a religious community organisation, which (at a guess) is voluntary, will probably get you no where.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending