The Student Room Group

How to get top marks in EPQ?

I am hoping to get an A* in EPQ, so I would like to know if there's anything in particular that I can do to impress the examiner and boost my grade? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Hi! I would highly recommend going through the syllabus and going through the mark-scheme; highlight what you would need to do in order to hit the top bands, and make sure that whatever you do is geared towards achieving those top marks based on that. Look at the weightings of each component, and make sure that you put in extra emphasis/more effort towards the components that cost the most marks. Based on the weighting, the essay is actually not your utmost priority. Hence, make sure that you note down all the advice received from your supervisor in a document (this will help you so much in your reflection, which is weighted extremely highly), make sure your progress log is as detailed as possible (complete it as you go), and reflect on your pitfalls as well. It is inevitable to meet problems throughout your project, and they want to see how you got through it and improved.

If it makes you feel better, my EPQ essay wasn't that great, but I would say that I was predicted an A* (I'm in Year 13 currently and the results aren't out yet) because I went through the process I mentioned above. Your final product doesn't have to be perfect by any means in order to get a good grade.

Good luck, you can do it!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by hayzc
Hi! I would highly recommend going through the syllabus and going through the mark-scheme; highlight what you would need to do in order to hit the top bands, and make sure that whatever you do is geared towards achieving those top marks based on that. Look at the weightings of each component, and make sure that you put in extra emphasis/more effort towards the components that cost the most marks. Based on the weighting, they essay is actually not your utmost priority. Hence, make sure that you note down all the advice received from your supervisor in a document (this will help you so much in your reflection, which is weighted extremely highly), make sure your progress log is as detailed as possible (complete it as you go), and reflect on your pitfalls as well. It is inevitable to meet problems throughout your project, and they want to see how you got through it and improved.

If it makes you feel better, my EPQ essay wasn't that great, but I would say that I was predicted an A* (I'm in Year 13 currently and the results aren't out yet) because I went through the process I mentioned above. Your final product doesn't have to be perfect by any means in order to get a good grade.

Good luck, you can do it!

Thank you so much for your inspiring message! I'll be sure to go through the mark scheme today and do what you have done :smile: Good luck for your results too!
Hey, can I ask what exam board you're on and what your topic is?

I got an A* in my EPQ (Chem based) and at the end of the day the production log is where the majority of the marks come from, so make sure you put your time into it. Literally anything that could go in that log should go in it. If you'd think it would help I'd be happy to send you a copy of my EPQ alongside the log so you can see how the final result can look.
Reply 5
do you mind sending me a copy? im really struggling.
I completed my EPQ around 3 years ago now and achieved full marks (although our exam board may be different). My EPQ was law/politics based - please just let me know if it'd be of any use and I'd be happy to send it across.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lawcalling
I did my EPQ around 3 years ago now and achieved full marks (although our exam board may be different). My EPQ was law/politics based - please just let me know if it'd be of any use and I'd be happy to send it across.

Hey, I'm doing mine on history and I know I'm not the OP but would you mind sending me your's? We don't get any help from our teacher and have been left to our own devices. Thanks :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by stillcrying
Hey, I'm doing mine on history and I know I'm not the OP but would you mind sending me your's? We don't get any help from our teacher and have been left to our own devices. Thanks :smile:

Sure thing! I'll try and dig it out.
Sure thing! I'll try and dig it out.

Thank you so much!
Reply 10
I completed my EPQ around 3 years ago now and achieved full marks (although our exam board may be different). My EPQ was law/politics based - please just let me know if it'd be of any use and I'd be happy to send it across.

Hi I just saw this! It would be extremely helpful if you could send that to me. Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by maribakebox
Hey, can I ask what exam board you're on and what your topic is?

I got an A* in my EPQ (Chem based) and at the end of the day the production log is where the majority of the marks come from, so make sure you put your time into it. Literally anything that could go in that log should go in it. If you'd think it would help I'd be happy to send you a copy of my EPQ alongside the log so you can see how the final result can look.

Sorry I only saw this now! But yes if you could send it that would be so so helpful, thank you :smile:
Original post by chloenix
Hi I just saw this! It would be extremely helpful if you could send that to me. Thank you so much :smile:

Sure! I’ll PM it to you
Reply 13
It has to be a question, as least with mine. And you have to finish the project with one title only, but if you change titles, you have to record your thought process :smile:
Reply 14
What's your title, I'll try to help you as well as I can x
Reply 15
I think it's a good start, and no it's not stupid at all, I just think you need to make it a tiny bit more specific.
For example, my title used to be "Should the US ban guns?"; then I realised that this might not be specific enough, so I changed it to "Should the US enforce stricter gun control regulations?"
See what I mean, it's a little change to make it sound more fancy and academic.

I don't know anything about science or placebos, but I think you're almost there with your title. If I were you, I'd start a question on The student room and ask people who might know more about science than me. Also go on google scholar and type in your title, and you might find other scholars who are investigating questions close to yours, but more specific.

Hope it goes well :smile:
Original post by chloenix
I think it's a good start, and no it's not stupid at all, I just think you need to make it a tiny bit more specific.
For example, my title used to be "Should the US ban guns?"; then I realised that this might not be specific enough, so I changed it to "Should the US enforce stricter gun control regulations?"
See what I mean, it's a little change to make it sound more fancy and academic.

I don't know anything about science or placebos, but I think you're almost there with your title. If I were you, I'd start a question on The student room and ask people who might know more about science than me. Also go on google scholar and type in your title, and you might find other scholars who are investigating questions close to yours, but more specific.

Hope it goes well :smile:

I agree with Chloe!

Similarly, I don’t come from a scientific background, but maybe something like:

Are placebos effective in reducing pain?

Can placebos be more effective than/ as effective as traditional treatments?

Are placebos effective for conditions like X and Y?

Could placebos create a viable alternative to X in Y illness?
(edited 4 years ago)
yes please! i really want to do law at uni. maybe english?

hey, can you send yours through to me if you don’t mind? i am probably going to choose law for uni.
it would be really helpful :smile:
Original post by ellievii
hey, can you send yours through to me if you don’t mind? i am probably going to choose law for uni.
it would be really helpful :smile:

Will send it across now! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending