The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Good experiences with Citalopram?

Scroll to see replies

Good post, very helpful, thanks!
Been on various AD's for about 12 years now- the longest and best working being citalopram. better than others for anxiety as well as the depression. I've been either 20-40mg at different times in my life. A bit of tiredness as a side effect but nothing else really. Oh and the sexual stuff but that's a given. It's not bad though.
Please remember that the good will always outweigh the bad- otherwise there wouldn't be a market for it. People use the internet as an outlet to complain about something- so of course all you'll read is bad. I'm guilty of doing that myself...starting a new drug is a task in itself, wait till you've been taking it for a while before seeking out others' opinions.
Reply 22
I'm on my second day of citalopram (10mg) and the only thing that's been out of the ordinary so far is the expected drowsiness and a general floaty sensation, no different to what I'd feel from something like hayfever meds. And there I was worrying because of all the horrid experiences I'd heard about!
Reply 23
Try it but not if you value a sex life. It'll most likely destroy that.
Interesting to hear peoples' experiences. Thinking about the wider issues, is it not a sad reflection upon the quality of our lives in general that people feel that taking AD medication such as this is the only way they can function? Surely there must be more to life than this? Being compelled to take meds just to feel almost normal and to be able to take your place in the capitalist machine..
Reply 25
Original post by Limpopo
Interesting to hear peoples' experiences. Thinking about the wider issues, is it not a sad reflection upon the quality of our lives in general that people feel that taking AD medication such as this is the only way they can function? Surely there must be more to life than this? Being compelled to take meds just to feel almost normal and to be able to take your place in the capitalist machine..

Surely there's more to life than festering in the negative thoughts that hold you back from having any kind of impact on the wider world?
I use it and it's always worked well for me.
Reply 27
Original post by Limpopo

To be honest i stopped taking them as i didn't want to rely on a pill to save me. Once i stopped taking them i felt like i had opened my eyes again so to speak. I'm often torn between thinking we should just get on with life and forget about all this intervention stuff or that it's there to help and the evidence suggests it helps some people.
Original post by RobML
Surely there's more to life than festering in the negative thoughts that hold you back from having any kind of impact on the wider world?

I'm not sure i get the point your trying to make. The vast majority of people make no impact on the wider world save for perhaps creating replacements for themselves and generating real wealth for others.
Original post by james1211
To be honest i stopped taking them as i didn't want to rely on a pill to save me. Once i stopped taking them i felt like i had opened my eyes again so to speak. I'm often torn between thinking we should just get on with life and forget about all this intervention stuff or that it's there to help and the evidence suggests it helps some people.

I think meds play their part at times of near or actual crisis. They provide a pause to the confusion, the voices and the near uncontrollable rush in your brain. They can be a life safer. Sometimes i guess they are a lifelong fix for some which can be the lesser of two evils if it were not for the side effects..
Reply 30
Original post by Limpopo
I'm not sure i get the point your trying to make. The vast majority of people make no impact on the wider world save for perhaps creating replacements for themselves and generating real wealth for others.

I don't really understand what you're trying to say either tbh
Original post by AJ2890
So I've been prescribed 20mg Citalopram for anxiety, depression and panic disorder.

Just want to be reassured, I've only read about bad experiences so want to hear from some people who found it to be a good drug!

Obviously it may not be right for me, but it would be helpful to hear from people who it has helped (and didn't have bad side effects, which is what I'm most worried about)

Thanks!

Been on 20mg for depression and OCD about 2 years now.
Started with nasty side effects:
Threw up first day, felt dizzy in mornings and when getting up, "zombie effect" and had random crying episodes some nights.

Sucked for the first few weeks or maybe even months, but now I'm used to it and I think it's really helped.
Had therapy as well which the citalopram helped me get through. I still can't drink much on it (cider sends me straight to sleep) but in general it hasn't limited me.

I was scared by all the reviews too and considered coming off it once. It gets better after a few weeks though. I ended up writing a little diary for my side effects so I could track it.

Just hang in there to start with. 😊
May not be right for you as you say, but definitely worth giving it a good shot and sticking with it as long as you can.
Citalopram saved my life!
I was prescribed 20mg to control premenstrual dysphoric disorder which had been controlling my life for many years and went undiagnosed.
After changing to a great doctor who finally listened, I was prescribed this drug. I was so close to dropping out of uni before, I just felt like I couldn't perform consistently and the bouts of depression were ruining many aspects of life including education, family life and relationships.
I now remain my upbeat, confident, driven self right through the month and find that I finally feel "normal" and in control.
Sometimes to think about the impact this drug has had on my life gets me somewhat emotional because without a solution I really doubt I would still be here.
Citalopram may not work for everyone but there are plenty of types out there so finding the right one may take time but it is worth it when you find the right one.
There is a great deal of stigma surrounding the use of antidepressants which I find remarkable because they really do help people.
Like I said, it's just finding the right one because it is not a matter of one suits all.
I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you can experience the volumes of benefits I have!
Reply 33
As far as I know it has quite a large placebo effect. My sister took it for a very long time and it made little difference to when they switched it to a placebo drug and told her it was citalopram. But hey if it helps, it helps.
I'd tried other types, one I was allergic to and one made me gain weight. We'd tried other types of treatment for PMDD with no luck but I definitely noticed a difference with Citalopram.
It works by preventing or slowing down the reabsorption of serotonin in the brain...
So far I've not come across any valid evidence to suggest it is a placebo.

Latest