Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

What languages do you speak?

Announcements Posted on
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a question, for people who are natively bilingual...do you mix your thoughts in both languages? Or is that just me
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    English like a native, French like an evicted protégé of Baudelaire, Italian like one of Cellini's jewels, Greek like an Etruscan vase, and Latin like Cicero's pet dog.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Latin beginner Kreole (beginner lol take the mick out of my mum) French (intermediate) Spanish (advanced) English (native)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a total language geek I'll admit it, I love to speak and never shut up. I teach language classes as well, to children in a local primary school. In a year, aged 10 and 11, they have completed the GCSE Spanish curriculum, including the reading/writing tasks; ie. write a letter pretending to be a celebrity, about your favourite holiday etc.

In Spanish, Catalan, English, and Greek - I am a Fluent Native; not sure which of the first 3 was my first language, as my first word was 'no' XD
    I can also read Ancient Greek (- this is not to be scoffed at, as Ancient Greek is very different to Modern Greek!)

Portuguese - I speak 'Brazilian', and consider myself fluent. Other people have mistaken me as native in the past, so I think this is a valid claim.

Due to my knowledge of the other latin languages (plus basic latin), I can understand the majority of Italian and Romanian. I have read books in Italian, such as Zlatan Ibrahimovich's "I am Zlatan" where I basically had the choice between Italian and Swedish. I have a few Romanian friends and understand most of what they say, and they in return can understand a catalan/italian/spanish hybrid.

German and Arabic - I'm currently pursuing these. I love Arabic but hate the harshness of German, although I imagine the scandinavian languages to be more so?

Other than that, I speak some French- badly (catalan accent), some Basque, and some Japanese. Due to where I live I also speak a little of the everyday phrases from eastern european languages, like Polish.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No-one's mentioned Elvish yet? Sad times we live in. :[

Nah, but I'm English and I can understand some French and Spanish. I really want to work on learning languages though, just so then I can communicate with my international friends in their own language without feeling ignorant/obnoxious/whatever for only being able to speak English.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carinaea)
    No-one's mentioned Elvish yet? Sad times we live in. :[

Nah, but I'm English and I can understand some French and Spanish. I really want to work on learning languages though, just so then I can communicate with my international friends in their own language without feeling ignorant/obnoxious/whatever for only being able to speak English.
    I used to be able to speak some of the ancient language from the Eragon Books :blush: Oh, and Na'vi from the James Cameron movie! XD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I have a question, for people who are natively bilingual...do you mix your thoughts in both languages? Or is that just me
    Yes, I also mix when speaking -.-'

"Muuum, tengo hambre.. Yo quiero food!"

or, "Hellooo Katerina-mou!"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    English (Native)
    Catalan (Fluent, although very rusty with speaking and writing).
    Spanish (GCSE)
    Italian (GCSE)

Also random phrases and suchlike in French, although I wouldn't call myself a speaker.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really but I do maths in Spanish.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    English - native
    German - I do A Level, but am about C1 level
    French - Doing A Level, not quite past B2 yet
    Latin - can read quite a bit, obviously don't speak it
    Russian - basic conversational level
    Hungarian - beginner
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    English and Welsh (native), French (GCSE standard, fairly fluent), Spanish (learning). I want to learn Esperanto and BSL
    Are you still learning it, or did you stop once you finished GCSE? Only, there are loads of people I know who got an A in GCSE French, who can barely string a sentence together
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    Are you still learning it, or did you stop once you finished GCSE? Only, there are loads of people I know who got an A in GCSE French, who can barely string a sentence together
    GCSE French is terrible, it misses the point completely... learn to DELF B2 or above and you'd be fine
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    GCSE French is terrible, it misses the point completely... learn to DELF B2 or above and you'd be fine
    I was really shocked when I discovered that most of the class couldn't count beyond thirty in French, yet knew how to say 'I am a builder' :confused: But make of that what you will...at least they'd be able to get a job in France
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well when I speak to my parents I usually speak what I call cantonglish... A fusion of cantonese and english.

I like it when I speak to them on the phone or something and my friends or other people just look at me speechless.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    English (native)
    Japanese (atm it's so-so :/)
    Italian-beginner (I'm trying to learn it by myself but we'll see how well it goes ^_^
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    English and Gujarati fluently.
    A little bit of Spanish.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    English - mother tongue
    French - studying it at uni, I would love to say I'm fluent but I'd be lying. I understand it, but seem to have a mental block with communicating in it. :/
    Afrikaans - I grew up in SA
    Basic Ndebele (Zulu)
    Basic Latin
    Teaching myself Italian

Ah, I wish there were enough hours in the day to become fluent in all of the above without going crazy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm fluent in English and can speak conversational German (with poor grammar). I also know some basics of French and Italian.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    French speaker, think in French and it all gets mixed up as you said :/.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    English (native) and Welsh (advanced). And a few phrases of French.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.