The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How can people think homosexuality is a choice?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe the question is:

Do heterosexuals choose to be heterosexual?

If they choose to be heterosexual, then that means they have the capacity to be homosexual (if they choose to be). I would say that people who are bisexual have more of a capacity to 'choose'.

The next time somebody who is 'heterosexual' tells you that you chose to be gay...ask them if they chose to be heterosexual and then ask them to expand on the answer

Gay gene? I do not know if it exists but if I could 'choose' to be straight...I would be. Because, hey! I could get married in Church;I would not have interfering busy-bodies telling me how I should behave with other adults and telling me that I lead a lifestyle I never knew I had :evilbanana: Then, I could also understand this so-called element of 'choice'.

Do any of us know just how many people are homosexual but cannot face 'coming out'. How many of these people marry and have children to satisfy a homophobic society? If the gay gene existed it would be eradicated by now?

...Obviously not.
Reply 121
when someone thought i was gay cos i never had a gf and i thought it but i was struck by lightning , i love girls , i want them!

i think maybe but i dont know whether is psychologicallly possible to change your sexuality
Reply 122
I do think it's a choice. I think it depends on how you've been brought up, some people are more prone to it than others.

I think a lot of them aren't physically attracted to the same sex but mentally more attracted. By this I mean, most people have a stronger connection with most friends of the same sex than they do with a partner of the opposite sex.
Original post by DYKWIA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations I'm pretty sure uk is a country, not the others, although I admit i often use england and uk interchangeably.

Just because the USA has 'United' in front of it, and so does the UK, that doesn't make the UK a country! The UK is divided into four countries..
Reply 124
Original post by Miryo
I do think it's a choice. I think it depends on how you've been brought up, some people are more prone to it than others.

I think a lot of them aren't physically attracted to the same sex but mentally more attracted. By this I mean, most people have a stronger connection with most friends of the same sex than they do with a partner of the opposite sex.

But if it was mental rather than physical attraction, how do you explain the millions that ARE sexually attracted to members of the same sex and act upon such attractions?
Original post by Miryo

You think wrong, we most certainly are. :sexface:
Reply 126
Original post by paulbridger
Just because the USA has 'United' in front of it, and so does the UK, that doesn't make the UK a country! The UK is divided into four countries..

According to the UN, the UK is a country, not england or scotland.
Reply 127
Original post by BioFurMatPhyStudent
You think wrong, we most certainly are. :sexface:

:five:
Original post by DYKWIA
According to the UN, the UK is a country, not england or scotland.

I live in England! I think I'd know if it was a country or not! :biggrin:
Reply 129
England doesn't count as an individual country, it's the United Kingdom, I've never understood why :confused:
Original post by DYKWIA
It may not be a conscious choice, but I'm pretty sure it's at least partially environmental, or else why are there more gay people in the USA than in the middle-east?

There are more openly gay people in the USA than in the middle east as homosexuality is much more accepted in even the more conseravtive areas of the USA than the middle east. It might be partially environmental, but certainly not in the way that you can 'encourage' or 'deter' homosexuality, otherwise there'd t=be essentially no gay people in Uganda where the (utterly disgusting) penalty for homosexuality is death.
Original post by Miryo

Did you choose to be straight? Personally, I don't think it's a choice as I can never recall choosing to find men and women attractive, it just is part of who I am. The same way as I never chose my ethnicity or I never chose who I have particular feelings for. Also I don't think anyone can be more 'prone' to homosexuality, but instead simply are more gay as sexuality isn't always as concrete as either finding only women or only men attractive. I'm bisexual but that doesn't mean I like men and women 50/50; I'm generally more attracted to women but that doesn't make me more 'prone' to homosexuality, I'm just attracted more to the same gender than someone else who may find the same sex less attractive.

Also, I don't really think that how you're brought up has an effect on whether you are homosexual or not. Instead, I think it has an impact on how much you can accept yourself and your sexuality. For instance, someone brought up in an accepting family in a developed country is more likely to accept their sexuality and come out and live as according to their natural desires than someone raised in a homophobic family/ country as the latter is more likely to suppress or deny their sexuality as they may feel their feelings for the same sex are 'wrong' and in order avoid hatred and abuse, and thus such a person is no less homosexual than another gay individual, but just unable to come out and accept their sexuality.

I would however, agree with you that you can be mentally attracted to one sex more than the other, and physically more or less attracted to the other :smile: For instance, homoromaticism (i.e. people physically and sexually attracted to the opposite gender but romantically attracted to the same gender)
Original post by Miracle Day
Then he quotes Sodomy and Gamora.

It's Sodom and Gomorrah :h:

Btw i kinda think that it is a choice and people decide to be that way.
People can have an opinion even if you think that it is wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 133

I then ask how homosexuality can be a choice, when homophobic areas have higher suicide rates and by his logic surely they could just change back to being straight if it was a choice. He then says he wishes more homosexuals would commit suicide, and that homosexuals don't think they can turn straight.

If this guy hates his own species so much that he wants such a large and general grouping to commit suicide, I'd suggest that he's the one who ought to be quitting the species, not anybody else. One less person who thinks I deserve to die sounds fine to me.

Seriously, the options you have when dealing with these people are
1) Ignore them
2) Provoke them to the point where it becomes obvious what vile and ludicrous creatures they are to all around
3) Provoke them to the point where they can be imprisoned for hate crimes
4) Douse them with petrol and start waving matches around (not recommended for obvious reasons)

I used to tend to follow strategy 1, but I've come to the conclusion that these creatures are too potentially damaging to be allowed to continue unchecked. As tempting as 4 is, it creates more problems than it solves, what with the the inevitable murder trial. So let the lunacy reveal itself (it's worked with DYKWIA).
Original post by Jester94
England doesn't count as an individual country, it's the United Kingdom, I've never understood why :confused:

England is an individual country, as is Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland.
Reply 135
It came out wrong, what I meant was in global organisations, like UN and things like that, England, Wales, Scotland and NI all come under the UK; I didn't mean to say that England wasn't an individual country haha!
Reply 136
its definately biological and psychologically caused by somehow
Attraction is something we can't help, it just so happens, some people are attracted to the same sex. I do not think people are born with homosexual orientations, we are just too complicated to say, your born straight, or born gay.

And..... there is no gay gene
Original post by DYKWIA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations I'm pretty sure uk is a country, not the others, although I admit i often use england and uk interchangeably.

But the US is a large, diverse country - it is hard enough learning about the whole of the US, especially when the US is the largest and most important country in the world.

The UK is uniquely four countries. /END
Reply 139
I just had a heated argument with some guy, and my frustration is what angered me to write this. He told me, for accepting gays and being cool with them, and treating them as I would anyone else I'm not a proper Christian - infact probably not one at all - because the Bible condemns them. He says we should all use Jesus as a model human.

I tell him about Lady Gaga born this way and he was adamant people aren't born gay, but they're brought up fooled.

I then ask how homosexuality can be a choice, when homophobic areas have higher suicide rates and by his logic surely they could just change back to being straight if it was a choice. He then says he wishes more homosexuals would commit suicide, and that homosexuals don't think they can turn straight.

So I tell him, Jesus tells us to love all.. so saying that is going against Christianity etc. Then he quotes Sodomy and Gamora.

He's obviously not just a closed minded pre-teen.. he knows his stuff. I just can't comprehend how people can believe it.

If any of you believe it's a choice.. help me out and tell me why please.

Edit: I'm just so angry right now.. sorry.. someone restore my faith in humanity

Simply ask him if he wears mixed fabrics, when he replies that he does, tell him that the bible condemns that too.

Leviticus 19:19 reads, "You are to keep My statutes. You shall not breed together two kinds of your cattle; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed, nor wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together."

oh, and shellfish. People eat shellfish, he probably eats shellfish. Burn in hell, shellfish eating sinner.

Leviticus 11:10 reads, "But whatever is in the seas and in the rivers that does not have fins and scales among all the teeming life of the water, and among all the living creatures that are in the water, they are detestable things to you."

Latest

Trending

Trending