The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've eaten things that were several weeks past their "use by" date, one day isn't going to suddenly make it life-threatening, jesus.
What if you buy something and plan to eat it 1 day before the use by date, but the packaging has swelled, but it looks/smells ok?:erm:
It will be fine. When you heat a meal you kill any bacteria anyway.
But just a day or two, should be absolutely fine :smile: The date is only there as a precaution.
Original post by Cherriesxo
What if you buy something and plan to eat it 1 day before the use by date, but the packaging has swelled, but it looks/smells ok?:erm:

If it looks and smells fine, then it should be fine :smile:
Thanks.:smile:
yes thank you guys - as I said I already ate it. lol really my need for replies has passed :wink:
Reply 46
If it smells, eat it, really
Original post by Conner p
If it smells, eat it, really

You realise that dinner was nearly 5 years ago, right? I have absolutely no need for advice on this situation (that I had LOOOOONG forgotten about) any longer!
Funny how in the old days, people very rarely got food poisoning like people do now! :rolleyes:
Reply 49
I'm going to eat my 1 day expired steak slice now, seems as you survived op
Things were so much better when this thread was made, like your biggest worry now is getting the virus but your biggest worry then was just a chicken curry being out of date. Miss them times man
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Jcdee
I'm going to eat my 1 day expired steak slice now, seems as you survived op

I sometimes buy fish, and will usually try and eat it if it's less than 1 day out of date, but ngl ..half the time i do this ...it tastes a bit "funny" so i end up chucking it away..

you probably wont get super sick from eating something one day out of date. it's worth a try, but be prepared it may taste funny and you'll need to chuck it

its more important to pay attention to use by dates rather than best before dates, as useby dates have the potential to make you very ill....
Reply 52
Original post by Car man 99
Things were so much better when this thread was made, like your biggest worry now is getting the virus but your biggest worry then was just a chicken curry being out of date. Miss them times man

Haha don't worry about it boss if you get covid I'll come make your dinners for you :smile: it may be one day past the use by date though...

Original post by ANM775
I sometimes buy fish, and will usually try and eat it if it's less than 1 day out of date, but ngl ..half the time i do this ...it tastes a bit "funny" so i end up chucking it away..

you probably wont get super sick from eating something one day out of date. it's worth a try, but be prepared it may taste funny and you'll need to chuck it

its more important to pay attention to use by dates rather than best before dates, as useby dates have the potential to make you very ill....

I feel it probably tastes exactly the same but you notice all the minor differences in texture/flavour because your paying much greater attention to it haha
Original post by Jcdee
Haha don't worry about it boss if you get covid I'll come make your dinners for you :smile: it may be one day past the use by date though...

I feel it probably tastes exactly the same but you notice all the minor differences in texture/flavour because your paying much greater attention to it haha

Can you make my dinner anyway?
Reply 54
I could order ya a takeaway haha, that's if you don't want to fly me out to where your at for a holiday so I can cook Haha
Glad you survived. Bet you wished you’d never asked but it made me laugh!!!

Latest