The Student Room Group

Meal ideas?

I don't have a full kitchen just a microwave, a kettle, and a fridge..... anyone have any good meal suggestions that aren't pot noodles?
Some good microwave cookbooks out there... Even recipes to make cakes. Actually you can make fridge cakes too using the microwave to melt butter. I if you have a toaster you can make scrambled or poached eggs on toast using the m/w too.
You can make rice in the m/w as well as mashed potato I'd you need a break from noodles. Same goes for pasta. Get some pasta and cook in boiling water (fill pot up from the boiled kettle and m/w on max) then When done, stir in some flavoured tofu (already cooked) plus thinly sliced red pepper, chopped spring onions, garlic a raw egg that will cook and go stringy in the heat with some teriyaki sauce out of a bottle.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't have a full kitchen just a microwave, a kettle, and a fridge..... anyone have any good meal suggestions that aren't pot noodles?

Anon,

You might have to stock up on some microwave meals, but you could also do jacket potato or soup.

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 6 months ago)

You'll probably find yourself a bit limited unless you get a hotplate or a slow cooker or rice cooker or something. Maybe something to consider!

There are lots of microwaveable meals available from grocery stores though which can approximate some of that (e.g. microwave rice, packaged meals, you can probably just about manage to make some quick cook pasta like tortellini or similar if you use a couple kettles and refresh the water).

Also lots of salad options don't involve any cooking if you buy pre-cooked meat/veggies that don't need cooking! Likewise sandwiches of many varieties :smile:
Hello,

I have a few suggestions!

For breakfast: oats with milk, add cinnamon or fruits

For lunch/dinner: You can make fajitas in the microwave!

My recipe:
- place some oliveoil with sliced peppers, onions, and diced garlic in a microwave dish
- Add salt, pepper, papriya, cayenne pepper, some mustard, and soy sauce and cook in the microwave
- Add precooked shredded chicken or Tofu (supermarkets sell them) to the mix

Serve with tortilla and any sauces that you like!

Hope that helps,
Haya- MBBS 5

If you're allowed I would definitely consider getting: toaster, toastie maker, rice cooker, and air fryer. Obviously not all at once because £££ but it would open up your meal choice options, assuming you're in catered halls? :smile:

Certainly! Here are a few quick and easy microwave-friendly meals:

Microwave Omelette: Beat eggs, add your favorite veggies and cheese, microwave in a microwave-safe bowl for 2-3 minutes.

Microwave Baked Potato: Pierce a potato with a fork, microwave for 4-6 minutes until tender. Top with your choice of toppings.

Microwave Steamed Vegetables: Place veggies in a microwave-safe bowl with a bit of water, cover, and microwave for 2-3 minutes until tender.

Microwave Pasta: Cook pasta in a microwave-safe bowl with water for 8-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain, add sauce, and microwave for another minute.

Microwave Rice: Use microwaveable rice pouches available in stores. Pair with microwaved veggies and protein for a quick meal.

Remember to follow safety guidelines while using a microwave.

Good Luck!
Fatima
LSBU Rep

Hi Anon,

There's quite a lot of options out there for microwave meals in supermarkets, but you could also do salads (with tuna, ham, ready-to-eat chicken, cheeses, and veg), sandwiches, soup, and fajitas (with similar fillings as the salad). For breakfast - things like cereal, oats, granola, yogurt, and fruits are great choices.

There's loads of recipes online, some of them quite elaborate, which I'm sure you could simplify or get some inspiration from! Here is one webpage I found: https://tasty.co/compilation/7-dorm-friendly-microwave-meals.

It would definitely open up your options a bit more with an air fryer, a toaster, a rice cooker, and other useful gadgets, but it is not essential. There are lots of great recipes out there for you to try!

I hope this helps,
Isabella :smile:

Hello,

You could stock up on fresh veggies you could use to make salad or microwavable chicken and chips, there also so many microwavable dishes you could find in stores around you, fruits are also a good option, yoghurt or bread, pastries, cereal or better still browse them. I'm certain you'd be able to find a lot and it'll up to you to choose which ones you can eat and probably look towards having a cooker. Hope this helps!

Benedicta
Digital Ambassador UoS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending