The Student Room Group

How did you live cheaply at uni?

Has anyone got any tips to live cheaply whilst at uni? I'm looking to secure internships and work whilst I'm there so won't be completely broke, but wondering about any shopping tips etc.
Original post by cam727
Has anyone got any tips to live cheaply whilst at uni? I'm looking to secure internships and work whilst I'm there so won't be completely broke, but wondering about any shopping tips etc.

Hi!

One thing I started doing that worked well for me was batch cooking. If there was an evening where I didn't have much going on I would make a large meal that I could then portion and freeze for nights where I am tight for time. I found this stopped me from buying quick ready meals or things like that when I was tight for time as I already had something at home. Scaling up meals also didn't cost much extra compared to making just one portion. Other than that just picking the cheaper supermarkets makes a huge difference. If you can avoid small convenience shops for doing your food shops that will also help as prices tend to be higher in these smaller shops.

Hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Original post by cam727

Hey @cam727, how are you? :smile:

Some of my tips are to make packed lunches instead of always buying when you're out, freeze any food in your fridge that you won't eat in time (if it's freezable) and you could try avoiding branded foods and go for the cheaper non-branded items. There's also opportunities to use student discount on food so I'd recommend Unidays, Totum and Student Beans!

Good luck with your university journey, all the best for the future :smile:

Becky
Well if you get a job this will probably eat a lot of your hours you might be out recreationally (especially if you work Friday & Saturday evenings). Find cheap hobbies (luckily unis have lots of societies with not much financial commitment).

Other then this be sensible: have a budget, plan a supermarket shop, don’t travel, limit how much you spend on food out the house...

It’s pretty easy to live a basic life at uni as lots of other people do. It’s mostly good organizational skills & avoiding lifestyle choices with costs (such as coffee, lunches on the go, deliveroo orders, buying branded clothes).
Original post by cam727

Hi @cam727

To avoid high costs during uni, I’d recommend making yourself a personal budget! So take into account your maintenance loan, the wages you receive from your job and then start looking into how much it costs for you to do a weekly shop, to pay for your accommodation and for extra recreational hobbies or anything else you’d like to include in this budget. Then you decide how much money you’d like to allocate to each of these areas and then you keep to it as best as possible.

I would also recommend buying less name-brand groceries and preparing your meals and lunches the day before or earlier in the week so that you can avoid the temptation to order takeaway on the days you will inevitably get a bit tired.

I hope this helps!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Original post by cam727

Hey there @cam727 !
Some things I did in my first year of uni was to batch cook and make packed lunches as others have said. I also gave myself a weekly budget and tried to stick to it. Any extra I put in my savings account for emergencies. I tried to aim for 10,000 steps every day which helped me cut down on the amount of ubers and buses I was getting as well. If you enjoy going out on nights out, always buy your drink from B&M or Aldi and drink more at pres so the overall night is cheaper and you don't have to end up buying any drinks in the club. Even if you're trying to eat well, stock up on freezer food like chicken nuggets and burgers because you'll likely crave a takeaway at some point (especially after a night out) and you can always remind yourself you've got food in at home. You can also buy freezer bags of fresh meat including raw chicken breasts in a multipack which work out cheaper than the chilled ones, that's something I didn't know before coming to university.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by cam727

Hi Cam727,

Great question and good luck with securing internships! A lot of my tips will reiterate what others have said but hopefully you still find it useful:smile:

1. Budget - You can get planners that help you organise this but you don't have to use one. If you take into account any loans you have and income from internships, then you can budget how much spending money you have a week. This gives you a better idea of how to make more cost-effective spending choices as you can see clearly what you're working with each week, which avoids overspending.

2. Batch cook - Lots of people have said this but it's such a lovely way to save money on dinners (and save time that would otherwise be spent cooking). I used to batch cook minestrone soups, chilli, and curries. I put a couple in the fridge and some spares in the freezer and it was so nice to come home after a long day and know all I had to do was heat it up! Some places on your campus might have microwaves so you could even bring your batch cooked food to campus for lunch (instead of buying ready meals).

3. Don't buy prepped fruit or veg - Instead of getting sliced apples or pre-chopped carrots etc, just get the original thing. It might take more time to prep but it's worth it to save some money. The same goes for buying off-brand grocery items - you get the same thing as the name-brand but its cheaper, so why not?:smile:

4. Discounts - Unidays is a good way to get student discount on loads of different things. Also if you get a clubcard/membership card for your local or most used supermarket then you can save some money grocery shopping.

5. Get used books - If for your course you're recommended to get textbooks, you don't need to buy brand new ones. Usually they should have them in the library anyway but if not try to get a used version as they're usually cheaper (and its all the same information anyway).

I hope this helps!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Original post by cam727

Hi there,
Excellent question, I personally found it helpful to batch cook meals to keep food costs down and get my textbooks second hand or from the library (or digital versions) where possible. I also used an app to keep track of my spending on top of all my bills. Speaking of which, it's really helpful to find accommodation where it's all bills included. I'd highly recommend finding part time or temporary/seasonal work, just make you can fit this around your course.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Hi @cam727 ! The fact that you are asking this question means you're already half way there. Being conscious of your finances makes a big difference. The first thing I would advise for you to do is calculate how much money you have left over after you pay for accommodation from your maintenance loan. Then divide that sum by how many weeks you will be in university and allocate the amount to your weekly finances. Now you know how much money you will have weekly before you include your payments from your part time job.
Here are a few tips that haven't been mentioned yet :
1.) When you first move in , shop at second hand shops for as much as possible ( cutlery , plates ect . they might not match but they'll be cheap ).
2.) Pick a university that is in a city that is affordable to live in.
3.) Use the textbooks from the library ( this is completely free).
4.) Buy your fruit and vegetables from a local food market , it is cheaper than grocery shops but you won't get the fancy plastic packaging ( which the environment will thank you for ! )
5.) Get the too good to go app and get some meals from there when you want take out or treats.
I hope this helps .
Cece
De Montfort University
Energy Engineering Student
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by cam727

Hi there @cam727,

Here some tips I found useful for keeping food costs down at uni:
- Set a weekly food budget and stick to it, try and avoid eating out or getting takeaways
- Batch cooking will reduce your cost per meal
- Have a look in the reduced section to see if there are any good discounts
- Shop around to see which supermarkets are the cheapest in your area

I hope this helps, :smile:
Sarah
Hey!
For me personally I go prepared and take lunch with me as this can be costly. I also look for books second-hand on social media sites that are needed for my studies but also make use of the library!

Have a read of our blog that has tips on saving when shopping-
https://glyndwr.ac.uk/blog/posts/sign-up-and-save-our-go-to-student-guide-for-shopping-discounts-/

Hope this helps :smile:

Sophie
WrexhamUniReps
Oh yeah find out what time stuff gets reduced and shop then I got loads of really nice stuff reduced and it’s so much cheaper.
Original post by cam727

Hi @cam727,

I fully agree with the tips that everyone else has supplied but I'd just like to add a couple more.

Secondhand Shopping:
Explore charity stores and online marketplaces like Vinted or Ebay for affordable clothing, textbooks, and household items. This can save you a significant amount of money.
Share Expenses:
If you're living with roommates, consider sharing expenses for items like cleaning supplies, kitchen utensils, and other essentials.
Utilize Campus Resources:
Take advantage of free or low-cost services provided by your university, such as fitness facilities, libraries, career centres, IT support and academic support.
Cut Down on Subscriptions:
Evaluate your subscription services (streaming, magazines, etc.) and consider canceling those you rarely use.
Energy Efficiency:
Save on utility bills by being mindful of energy usage. Turn off lights, unplug electronics, and adjust the heating as needed.
Sell Unwanted Items:
Sell items you no longer need or use to earn some extra cash.

Hope this helps!
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by cam727

hi cam727!

budgeting is a pretty big thing, especially if this is the first time you're moving out on your own!

i would recommend making a personal budget for yourself, this could be weekly or monthly, and take into account your maintenance loan (if you've applied for one) and your wage, then limit yourself however you think is best and what you think you'd be able to work with. it's a lot cheaper to buy groceries as opposed to ordering food or going to a restaurant, although it's a good idea to treat yourself every once in a while! but from the £10-£20 or so that you've spent on takeaway or a restaurant you could easily buy groceries that could make 3-4 meals!

i personally spend around £50-£60 a week on food but this is because i shop for 2 people and i usually also get a few snacks for the week, but if you're only shopping for yourself you could cut this down significantly, to around £30 a week, maybe even less.

everyone else in this thread has already spoken about this, but batch cooking is an amazing idea. you could make a big portion and just store the rest of it. i often just make a batch of pasta that i can easily throw into the microwave if i'm too tired to cook or if I'm short on time. curry is also another great option, you can make it in a big batch and just refrigerate or freeze it and take it out and warm it up whenever you wanna eat!
Reply 14
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi @cam727 ! The fact that you are asking this question means you're already half way there. Being conscious of your finances makes a big difference. The first thing I would advise for you to do is calculate how much money you have left over after you pay for accommodation from your maintenance loan. Then divide that sum by how many weeks you will be in university and allocate the amount to your weekly finances. Now you know how much money you will have weekly before you include your payments from your part time job.
Here are a few tips that haven't been mentioned yet :
1.) When you first move in , shop at second hand shops for as much as possible ( cutlery , plates ect . they might not match but they'll be cheap ).
2.) Pick a university that is in a city that is affordable to live in.
3.) Use the textbooks from the library ( this is completely free).
4.) Buy your fruit and vegetables from a local food market , it is cheaper than grocery shops but you won't get the fancy plastic packaging ( which the environment will thank you for ! )
5.) Get the too good to go app and get some meals from there when you want take out or treats.
I hope this helps .
Cece
De Montfort University
Energy Engineering Student

How does the price of frozen vegetables compare to fresh veggies? And would I be doing myself any financial favours by buying meat from a local butcher instead of the supermarket? (I'm Muslim so I can only buy from Halal local butchers or ASDA's Halal section as no other supermarkets stock Halal meat).
Original post by cam727

Hi!
I think the best way to live cheaply at uni is to stay organised. By this I mean setting a budget, planning meals, packing lunches rather than buying lunch out, things like this. Supermarkets have specific times towards the end of the day when they will start to reduce items, so learn what time this is for your local supermarket and take advantage. Additionally, freezing items that go out of date quickly is a great way to make food last longer.
I hope this is helpful, Faye :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending